Anyone have a 20ft Boat for Sale?

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
My crazy mate Pedrochemical and I want to buy a Boat.

Pedro assures me he spent many a day cruising and sailing around the Mediterranean.

Not content with causing mayhem on the DR1 Forum - Pedro wants to be a Skipper and explore the high seas. Well really only about 20m from the coast line as I am a dedicated land lover and Pedro is insane!!!

However as a loyal First Mate I have been tasked with finding us a suitable vessel.

The said vessel should have the following characteristics:
  1. Float
  2. Have some method of mechanical propulsion as Pedro and I are past our physical peak and rowing is out of the question.
  3. Cost less than $4000usd as we will more than likely sink it within the first 6 months or it will be stolen.
We did look at a 20ft 1990 Bayliner Bowrider and it had 2 of the above 3 with price being the hold out.

The timeframe for the purchase is now as we have 4 weeks of boating, golfing and other nonsense planned for Christmas.

Please PM me with details of your trusty and sturdy vessels.

Thanks
First Mate - Collingwood

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Bayliner for Sale

The Bayliner is at the Zarpar Marina near Boca Chica and we inspected it about 10 days ago. The Marina Manger's name is Raul Medina on 829-520-8905 and he has the owners details. The asking price was $7500usd and it seemed in good condition.

I posted a thread about buying a similar vessel from Puerto Rico as boats are so much cheaper there. Unfortunately I didn't get an anwser, but I'm still working on it.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/97983-buying-boat-puerto-rico.html
Where did you see this Bayliner and how much was he asking?

Mar 2, 2008
I saw such a craft for sale on Playa Sosua. It is just off the beach to your right as you are walking from the El Batey side.

Anyone for a three-hour tour?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why would you want to own a boat in DR?

Charter the banana boat guy's boat for a few hours!
Go to Club Nautico Andres and make friends with the kids that wash/wax the boats and you'll have even more options. The dive boats are only used for a few hours a day, I am sure you can make a deal there also.

I guess you never heard the old adage, "If it flies, f's or floats, rent it"?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a boat builder in Juan Dolio called Hans who is surprisingly enough, German. His boatyard is on the right hand side of the autopista just as you leave Juan Dolio and when the road curves round to the right to join the main autopista. if he does not have what you are looking for he will know where to get it!

matilda

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Why would you want to own a boat in DR?

Charter the banana boat guy's boat for a few hours!
Go to Club Nautico Andres and make friends with the kids that wash/wax the boats and you'll have even more options. The dive boats are only used for a few hours a day, I am sure you can make a deal there also.

I guess you never heard the old adage, "If it flies, f's or floats, rent it"?

Because we do. That was easy?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
[*]Have some method of mechanical propulsion as Pedro and I are past our physical peak and rowing is out of the question.

I loved that post, First Mate Collingwood. It appealed to my sense of humour.

Understand you won't be rowing and thus the need for mechanical propulsion but.............have you considered hovering as in a small hovercraft? Advantages being that it would travel across land as well as water and..........you'd make a spectacular entrance at voudoo get togethers :cheeky:.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
I loved that post, First Mate Collingwood. It appealed to my sense of humour.

Understand you won't be rowing and thus the need for mechanical propulsion but.............have you considered hovering as in a small hovercraft? Advantages being that it would travel across land as well as water and..........you'd make a spectacular entrance at voudoo get togethers :cheeky:.

Lambada,

Pedro and I are HUGE chunky buggers. The hovercraft would be under pressure and outside the manufacturers specifications with the big fellas in it.

Nice image though.:laugh:

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Once you find these boats, can I be your friend?
I always find it much better to have friends with boats rather than owning one myself.;):bunny::bunny:;)

If we had a Sail Boat then with a name like WINDeguy you would be the honorary 2nd Mate.

But you can come along for a cruise - I will need witnesses when Pedro puts us into some rocks!
:cool:

Aug 21, 2007
Beware.....among those who know boats in the U.S. .....Bayliners are considered inferior boats. At least we who boated on the Great Lakes thought so....and those were just lakes. I can't imagine owning a Bayliner on the North Coast and dealing with the seas here.

Just want the OP to get his money's worth.

Lindsey

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Beware.....among those who know boats in the U.S. .....Bayliners are considered inferior boats. At least we who boated on the Great Lakes thought so....and those were just lakes. I can't imagine owning a Bayliner on the North Coast and dealing with the seas here.

Just want the OP to get his money's worth.

Lindsey

What about Boston Whalers? I hear they are supposed to be unsinkable?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
why not get a yola?

all the fishermen swear by them, and they DO make it to Puerto Rico..

According to the guys in Pedernales, they are made in Bani.

And I am sure that you guys could deck it out with the appropriate bells and whistles and ice chest and all that....

buy local.... !!

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What about Boston Whalers? I hear they are supposed to be unsinkable?

They are...you can cut them in three sections and everyone will float.

However, if you are going to replace the contents in the bulkheads you may want to re think your border crossing strategy.

Aug 21, 2007
Boston Whalers are light boats. Unless you stay in Sosua Bay or similar waters, I would not trust them.....even though they won't sink, they could flip.....

Best choice, as far as I am concerned, for a 20 foot boat would be something made of wood, like what the local fishermen use.

I am giving a serious response, even though I am not certain that the OP is searching for facts. If humor is what you are looking for, I apologize.

Lindsey