coming to DR after 18 years... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
Hi.

I am coming back to DR after a long time this christmas. I havent seem family and friends for 18 years. I am a bit nervous and everyone tells me my home town has changed beyond recognition.

this may sound really dumb but i dont know what I should wear during the day and also evenings. i dont know what people expect me to look like, i was 15 when i left.

do any of you have any tips (i dont think i should depend on shorts, tshirts and the regular "caribbean" clothes i wear when i go to jamaica or st barts as this isnt really a beach/holiday trip, but more like a family reunion.

also, should i wear fine jewelry or leave it at home?
do people still bring lots of gifts for others as well?

should i be afraid of being mugged if i wear nice clothes and jewelry? my family said they want "to show me off" to all the relatives so as you can see there is some pressure involved.

thanks for any advice :)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I understand why you would be nervous about going back......

but what part of the country will you be going to? ?

.....but fine jewelry I wouldnt wear in public, it also depends where you are visiting, is it a barrio, or will you be visiting better off folks where you will be driven around? If you are going to be driving yourself or be in open public places don't wear jewlery, I never do.

shorts and carribean clothes only for the beach and pool.

For other events you should dress neatly and appropriate for the ocassion.

Most young women in the DR wear jeans and a tank top, no shorts for everyday activities but of course skirts and dresses are appropriate.

Reactions: Tamborista

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
Hi Mar, thanks for writing back. I am going to San Francisco, I dont remember my barrio being dangerous and my relatives assure me that there wont be a problem. i am renting a car and will always be with family, some are armed. (that makes me more nervous than safe to be honest, i hate guns!)

i plan to bring dresses for day and evening.

about the fine jewelry i would much rather not take, but you know how some people are, they feel i have to come and "show all my success",
maybe i will leave the jewelry at home when i go out.

thanks again! :)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I hope someone from San Francisco comes on and helps you with this, I am from the otherside of the country not familiar with your area.

One thing I tell you is be prepare to pay when you go out with family and friends.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
about the fine jewelry i would much rather not take, but you know how some people are, they feel i have to come and "show all my success",
maybe i will leave the jewelry at home when i go out.

thanks again! :)

Welcome to DR1 and welcome home for Christmas! :)

I've been living in Puerto Plata since the year after you left San Francisco and yes there have been huge changes and amounts of building/developments in some parts of the north coast during that time. I don't know about your particular barrio in SFM but one of the changes which has impacted is the advent of drugs, sadly. There were NONE on the street back in 1990 when I first visited and none when I moved here in 1992 and now...........they are common. So inevitably there is crime as a result (both turf wars between puntos and users needing to steal to get their next fix). I would strongly suggest you leave the expensive jewellery back in the US or wherever you are travelling from. It is Xmas & crime rate goes up around this time, as you know.

Just because the family wants to show you off, doesn't mean you have to collude with their wish to show your possessions off. You could explain that you're concerned about their safety too. It might be thought that if you brought the jewellery with you, you would be leaving it behind and that could put the family at risk of a robbery after you have left.

If this is your first time driving here for 18 years, we now have transport police called AMET - don't think they were so much in evidence 18 years ago, if they existed at all then. Have copies of your driving licence and don't hand the original over if pulled over. Some AMET are ok & others can be.........autocratic ;). Of course you have the benefit of being able to conduct the whole conversation in fluent English whilst understanding what they're saying in Spanish without necessarily letting on that you speak a word of Spanish. It can work to your advantage. Just don't let other family members blow it for you :cheeky:.

Have a wonderful Xmas!

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
Oh Yeah! I am totally prepared to pay for everything :) as the "better off" visitor I know I have to take people out. :)

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
hey thats a great tip! i will totally keep it in mind!
I am very scared about driving out there, in fact the whole thing is very intimidating but i am also very excited.
i will definitely take all your advice into mind. thanks

If this is your first time driving here for 18 years, we now have transport police called AMET - don't think they were so much in evidence 18 years ago, if they existed at all then. Have copies of your driving licence and don't hand the original over if pulled over. Some AMET are ok & others can be.........autocratic ;). Of course you have the benefit of being able to conduct the whole conversation in fluent English whilst understanding what they're saying in Spanish without necessarily letting on that you speak a word of Spanish. It can work to your advantage. Just don't let other family members blow it for you :cheeky:.

Have a wonderful Xmas![/QUOTE]

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Maybe you shouldn't drive yourself, do rent the car but have a relative or someone you trust, drive you.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
absolute no need for comment like this, edited, please be good, you have made good contributions to DR1 forums

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
Good advice, you must have a family member or friend of the family to drive you! Just make sure they are on the rental contract as authorized drivers or your insurance will NOT cover you.

Enjoy your visit.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think I would have played down the success story before arriving, one doesnt want to pay for everything does one.

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
I think I would have played down the success story before arriving, one doesnt want to pay for everything does one.

LOL LOL i havent said anything to them about "success", they just "assume" because I was adopted and live in dusseldort so even if i play it down, i know i will be paying :)

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
LOL LOL i havent said anything to them about "success", they just "assume" because I was adopted and live in dusseldort so even if i play it down, i know i will be paying :)

Yeah but don't spoil them, que no abusen. :)

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
pobrecitos! i understand, i remember how it was. everyone begging for clothes, asking for money, etc. i dont know if things are still like that. i am only going by what i remember as a child. i am not going to treat a whole bunch of perfect strangers... just a few family members.

there may be some upset people but hey, i am no santa claus!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
pobrecitos! i understand, i remember how it was. everyone begging for clothes, asking for money, etc. i dont know if things are still like that. i am only going by what i remember as a child. i am not going to treat a whole bunch of perfect strangers... just a few family members.

there may be some upset people but hey, i am no santa claus!

you seem to have it all together, have fun. also pay attention to princess about the car rental, and having the other driver on the rental contract!

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
you seem to have it all together, have fun. also pay attention to princess about the car rental, and having the other driver on the rental contract!

:) thanks! i have been planning this for a few months. :)
yes, i am having my uncle and aunt on the contract as well, so i have back up if one cant drive me. thank you for your good wishes. i cant wait to eat "BOFE" (a dry, fried meat??) and "yaniqueques".... i think is going to be great!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and live in dusseldort

Even better! You can knock AMET's socks off in German. Much more effective than English for being totally not understood (other than in tourist areas). Make it as guttural as possible if you're wanting to impress as a foreigner.

And do get some videos..............;)

YoYa

Dec 7, 2009
Even better! You can knock AMET's socks off in German. Much more effective than English for being totally not understood (other than in tourist areas). Make it as guttural as possible if you're wanting to impress as a foreigner.

And do get some videos..............;)

Nat?rlich, mein freund!! (of course my friend!) but i dont know if that will help me if i get stopped, they want money no? lol i will do i have been told and just pretend my spanish is bad but i dont think they will fall for it lol may make them more angry that way :(

i guess police continues to be as, er..... "needy" as ever??

Status
Not open for further replies.