Could this work?

rhino r

Jan 5, 2009
I lived in Santiago for 2 years and have married a Dominican gal who gave birth to our twins there in Santiago. We now live in my home state of Utah where mangoes are brought in from New Zealand and avocadoes from Mexico. I experienced the huge waste of the abundant, big and delicious Mango and Avocado crops there in Cibao Valley. Here's my idea. Start a export business with a trusted Dominican (my wife's brother), arrange for shipping of the fruits to some wholesaler in the US, don't start a farm rather send out flyers via moto conchistas to surrounding farmers/land owners offering to buy their fruit with them delivering the fruit to some central spot near or in Santiago then haul them up to Puerto Plata and ship them out with, of course, my Santiago partner making all necessary payments and getting appovals from the wonderfully helpful and resonable DR gov't. Is this logical? It seems odd that such high quality produce is not used for the benefit of the people and commerce. Non sarcastic comments are invited. Thanks Rhino R

Mar 2, 2008
I don't have a clear-cut answer, since there are so many variables to consider with produce exporting, but I can offer you some questions you might want to consider.

Who will be checking the produce initially, to ensure freshness, quality, and accurate quantity?

What is the optimum freshness of the produce you will be exporting? In other words, at what point should the produce be harvested, and how much ripening will occur during shipping?

Can you establish a dependable shipping contact? Will they guarantee a certain time-frame for delivery? Remember one or two extra days at sea might mean the difference between fresh produce and rotten fruit.

How much will customs take off the top?

Will you have control of all aspects of the delivery system, or could one weak link hold up everything?

Produce is a commodity that needs precision delivery guidelines, otherwise you will be throwing your money away.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have major hurdles to get over:
USDA. There are major worries and mangoes and avocados are two of the crops withthe most restrictions.
DR Customs and inspections. You will have to have a packing station and inspection prior to shipping.
Logistics: Getting the crops from the farms to the packing house and then to the airport. This is a major hassle.

I do not like your prospects, but it is doable if you have capital and time.

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Good luck bro, if they can move oranges from Brasil and grapes from Chile, I dont see why you cant move Mangoes from Santiago via air freight.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
4188D89AZ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Major Mango exporter-- Haiti

Haiti is in fact the largest exporter of organic mangoes in the world.. thanks in large part to a grant and system put in with the help of USAID
JMB S.A. is one of the largest Haitian exporters of fresh mango and other tropical fruits to North America.

But what is interesting here is that they are now IMPORTING guacamole from Mexico... to here.. land of the avocado...

I would say that you have a better horizon for guacomole... and perhaps avocados...

but if you are in Utah,,, and the brother in law is here. and he is not already in a thriving export business. I would suggest that you start with something a little less complicated... like a colmado... which sells avocados... some places in the campo literally have no other stores and very little fresh food... much needed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm pretty certain I've seen Dominican mangoes and avacados for sale at Florida supermarkets, good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chip is right. However, and you can check this with the Moreno people, there is a sort of "inspection station" for mangoes, it is in Ban?, I think.
And, I inagine there is probably something similar for avocados.

Like I said, logistics would be truly difficult.

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I'm pretty certain I've seen Dominican mangoes and avacados for sale at Florida supermarkets, good luck.

I've seen it in Canada too.

And to the OP, why do you consider your wife's brother a trusted dominican ?? Because he is your wife's brother or because he.........................

Last edited:

rhino r

Jan 5, 2009
thanks for input

Thanks for all the useful input, it does appear that the logistics would be a big challenge, it's just surprising to me that so much quality produce can go to waste without some way of utilizing it. I trust my wife's brother because I've had considerable dealings with him but the logistics and goventmental approvals on both ends may make it cost prohibitive unless you could generate sufficient volumn to make it worthwhile.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for all the useful input, it does appear that the logistics would be a big challenge, it's just surprising to me that so much quality produce can go to waste without some way of utilizing it. I trust my wife's brother because I've had considerable dealings with him but the logistics and goventmental approvals on both ends may make it cost prohibitive unless you could generate sufficient volumn to make it worthwhile.

I am sorry rhino, but i have to ask the question everyone is wanting to ask. How in the world are you going to trust your brother in law with your business? When you do not even trust your own wife. Your words, not mine..

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
worth a try...

Advertising directly to farmers to convince them to bypass the existing marketplace structure in favor of selling directly to you?

There are existing markets for these products and they operate on a bid price system. You would need to undercut the bids to make it work. If you're successful you're gonna make new enemies.

Starting your own processing/ packing plant? Doing your own shipping?

The startup cost will make you change your mind about this and even if by some miracle - you're successful, you're gonna make new enemies.

Getting through the inspection processes and shipping the packaged produce to markets in the U.S. before the product spoils?

You got a customs broker lined up for this one? Have you figured the handling costs, duty, shipping cost (climate controlled, of course), etc. all the way to the point(s) of sale? Have you prepared a break even analysis (87% ? 93% ?) and worked that into your bid price to the suppliers? Your competition has been doing this for many, many years.

Bottom line: Sometimes it's cheaper to let them rot on the tree.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
where?

I am sorry rhino, but i have to ask the question everyone is wanting to ask. How in the world are you going to trust your brother in law with your business? When you do not even trust your own wife. Your words, not mine..

sorry,, i think that the op is finished with this thread.. but where does he say that he does not trust his wife?