WindShield / Windscreen / Vidrio

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
Ok, I have a film on the outside of my windshield and I can't get it off. I have tried regular cleaning supplies, window cleaner, vinegar.....

What can I use? It is sooo annoying especially at night! It makes the GLARE from oncoming headlights aweful.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ammonia is the thing to use......

I used it years ago to remove old film, the film was on the inside of the window, not the outside. Once you get a little bit of an edge up, the ammonia works great.

That is also the reason they tell you not to use ammonia based window cleaners on film.

Try the following link:

What is the Best Way to Remove Window Film?

Don

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
and a box razor. You can scrape the film(or the glue) away from the surface of the glass. I dont know if the film is on the inside or outside but the razor works just as fine. Start at the top and work your way down like painting a fence. If you use a cleaning solution like Windex, 409, Ammonia and water the razor will slide down the glass peeling the film off and also the detergent will keep the razor sharp.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Is that why you nearly bashed into me when coming down the hill from the Cathedral a few months ago? You couldn't see me correctly due to the film build up!!!

Might I also suggest investing in a new set of wiper blades!! These can (& SHOULD) be cleaned regularly as they can leave greasy smears on the outside of the windscreen if the blades have residue on them! ~ Grahame.

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
LOL that is funny bushbaby.

I bought new wipers and the residue on the outside of the window is still there. Tried cleaning solvent and that did not work. Will try amonia.

There is also an installed filter (film) on the inside of the window which I will have removed. Will find a place to do it for me.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
the film is on the outside of the windshield? Oh, yea, I doubt ammonia will work. It a great glass cleaner but I doubt it will remove it. do you park this car under a tree?

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
This came with the vehicle when I bought it several weeks ago. It drives me wild at night. Someone suggested cutting an apple in half a rubbing it on the windshield! I will try anything at this point.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
the film is on the outside of the windshield? Oh, yea, I doubt ammonia will work. It a great glass cleaner but I doubt it will remove it. do you park this car under a tree?
The ammonia is to remove the "glue" that holds the film, so you must get an edge up for the ammonia to work on the glue.

It works GREAT on removing the glue, I have done it before.
It was so easy to remove the remaining film and glue using the ammonia.

PrincessaDR, did you try the ammonia?

Don

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
Not yet, need to go buy it. See there are TWO issues - outside is residue - inside is a film put on to filter sunlight.

Outside - will try everything suggested.

Inside - someone before used wrong cleaner and scratched it badly. i will have it properly removed!

Thanks everyone.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I know about that apple thing. That might have been a joke. Maybe you were supposed to do a special dance also?
Yea, ok the ammonia is to remove the film but she said the film is on the outside of the glass. Outside is like tree sap or vaporized road tar. Razor will work best on that. Inside is the film? If they messed it up then you ll have to remove it. But you know the car will be hot from solar radiation.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I'm surprised vinagre with newspaper doesn't take that off. If you tried this did you also wipe the windshield wipers with the cleaner as well? Good luck I know hate it when I can't get it clean so let us know what works, please. thanks, and good luck

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Also might try a coke, shake it up and spray it on the glass, works on road tar, and bugs

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Put a large chip in it, and watch it run all the way accross the windshield. Then drive with it for 3 years like the rest of the Dominicans.