Buy Fishing Rod

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Anyone know where I might be able to buy a fishing rod? Anywhere between Puerto Plata and Gaspar Hernandez, or Santiago.

Thanks,

Adrian.

Reactions: mike l

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
any ole fishing rod or a specific type? what you doing? saltwater or freshwater? on a boat or from shore? Let me know man, Im interested. I have never seen a dude fish here.

I bought a old fishing rod from a dominican man in sosua some years back, but i NEVER caught anything with it. I was fishing from land, using bait and everything.

Ohh i remember how angry i was after some days out in the sun without catching one tiny little fish.

Now my rod is collecting dust in the closet. until the next time im going to give it a try.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Cojinua.jpg

Here is the 1 fish I caught in Sosua about 4 years ago on a bucktail jig. Most people there did not use rods and reels so no idea where to buy one.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I bought a old fishing rod from a dominican man in sosua some years back, but i NEVER caught anything with it. I was fishing from land, using bait and everything.

Ohh i remember how angry i was after some days out in the sun without catching one tiny little fish.

Now my rod is collecting dust in the closet. until the next time im going to give it a try.

Bro, I think you didnt catch anything because you were out there too late. The water gets hot during the day. Those fish are hiding in deep dark cool places. YOu should give it a go again but this time find yourself out there maybe 3-4am? fish until 10a and then let me know what you get. Look for the craggy rocks drop your line rght there, dead center and see what comes up. The bottom feeders are always the biggest, but the most sly. And BTw, screw bait, get you some of that brick style Dominican bread and some chicken blood and ball up the bread in doughy clumps and drown in it the chicken blood. Hook it and have fun. Its got that aroma that will work better than worms or jiggers.

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Thanks for the replies.

any ole fishing rod or a specific type? what you doing? saltwater or freshwater? on a boat or from shore?

I know very little about fishing, but thought I might give it a go from the shore.

Anyone got any more ideas for a beginner that might increase my chances of actually catching something?

Adrian.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
is there a fishing place near kite beach on the opposite side of the road - painted blue , or have I mistaken it and its really a surfing shop

Bro, I think you didnt catch anything because you were out there too late. The water gets hot during the day. Those fish are hiding in deep dark cool places. YOu should give it a go again but this time find yourself out there maybe 3-4am? fish until 10a and then let me know what you get. Look for the craggy rocks drop your line rght there, dead center and see what comes up. The bottom feeders are always the biggest, but the most sly. And BTw, screw bait, get you some of that brick style Dominican bread and some chicken blood and ball up the bread in doughy clumps and drown in it the chicken blood. Hook it and have fun. Its got that aroma that will work better than worms or jiggers.

Thank you very much for for the tip, i will give my fishing ability another try.

james

Jan 14, 2002
The larger Ferreteria Ochoa in Santiago has fishing supplies...rods, line, hooks etc...in the newer section where the plastics and home furnishings are.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
If you want to chum the waters (sea) to bring fish close to your bait, use a can of cat food (tuna) cut holes or poke a screwdriver thru the top and bottom and toss it in the area where your bait will be.....the stink will make fish curious....they will come.

If you want bait, find some fish (market)...buy the cheapest thing you can and cut it up and bait the hook...fish eat each other (there's no chicken in the sea)....if you catch small fish, hook them thru the back (under the dorsal fin) and send the crippled fish back to where he came from.... you can also hook them back towards the tail or through the gills....you want to keep them live or semi-live.

1/0 hooks are probably big enough....too big and all that happens is you lose bait (feed the fish), 12-20 lb test line is fine and maybe (MAYBE) a larger test monofilament leader or wire leaders near rocks....Grouper (Mero), Snapper (Cherna?) will run into the rocks with your bait....so when you feel a tug, set the hook, get the rod tip UP and reel!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Catfood? Great Gollywompers Ghost, Batman! Ingenious. 20lbs test is good for freshwater, I dont know about the sea. But then again he didnt say he was getting on a boat, I dont think. I recommend 30 if you can find it. If the pole comes with a reel it will probably have some crap 10lb on it. You cant catch nothing with a 10lb test line except anchovies and minnows. Yea, I wish I knew where you were going I d like to go and check it out with you. Do you need a permit or license to do so here?

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I will let you know when (or perhaps more accurately if) I catch anything.

Adrian

kmuir2108

Oct 16, 2009
Shore Fishing

Great help so far. No one mentioned if you cast and real or if you toss it out and leave it. Also should the bait be suspended or sit on the bottom? I'm there in a few weeks and this has got me excited now! I'm bringin the rod!!! I've only fresh water fished inland Canada!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Great help so far. No one mentioned if you cast and real or if you toss it out and leave it. Also should the bait be suspended or sit on the bottom? I'm there in a few weeks and this has got me excited now! I'm bringin the rod!!! I've only fresh water fished inland Canada!

Well, I advocate sinkers to get the bottom feeders(they usually have the most meat) And I just toss it and wait. I dont have a good arm for casting plus all I seem to do is hook seaweed and lose my bait.
Where you going to go? And when you coming?
I want to go to Lago Enriquillo and see whats in it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could swear that fishing was just a semi legitimate excuse men use to get drunk with their buddies. you mean it is really about, like, fish? ;)
anyhow - my brother used to execute fly larvaes as bite. i know coz he kept them buggers in a nice plastic container in our fridge (so they don't hatch). which, to make long story short, is why i do not eat rice anymore.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

This depends on where you are....

off the beach, wading out a little and casting

you want to fish near rocks or underwater structure but the water needs some depth..fish like that. You'll figure it out, or you'll have a great bar story to tell. Just have fun and good luck!

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
CHRIS NJ,
Where exactly in Sosua did you catch that fish?
Thanks,
Mack.

Ron1

Dec 23, 2009
When I went to Samana in October, I just took my collapsable fishing rod in my suitcase (one of those Canadian Tire telescopic style ones). Didn't take much room at all. At the resort I used the cold cuts from the snack bar to fish off the pier at the resort. Saw a few fish, but only caught crabs (...don't laugh, you know what I mean). They seem to love salami and pepperoni?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
CHRIS NJ,
Where exactly in Sosua did you catch that fish?
Thanks,
Mack.

Exactly, I can't recall. Vaguely, we walked in the predawn darkness along the highway to Sosua from La Union about 1/2 mile or so and took a path into the woods, past a small cowfield, across a small stream and out to the rocks overlooking the clear water/reefs. There were many set of rock outcropping overlooking the water with locals fishing.

There is no shade so early moring or twilight would be most bearable.