Wrapping paper for kids gifts needed!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's all be friends.
If anyone have some extra resources, we are at that time of the year now for getting presents purchased for the barrio kids, and if nothing else, we're desperate for wrapping paper.
So I'm off track too and I apologize, but it's a better cause than y'all dissing each other.
Tell you what.
I'll throw in an extra 500 bux to the present pot if we can all stop arguing and get this thread back on track.
That work for you all?

Reactions: mike l

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And before this topic gets lost I thought it should have it's own thread.
Thank you Anna.
A lot of money destined for the children could get wasted buying the local wrapping paper, which is priced at 5 to 10 times US prices, when talking quantities.
If anyone can bring some, it would be appreciated.
Red for the girls, blue for the boys and green for toddlers.
Muchas gracias.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm finding it hard to focus on Christmas right now, but we need help

We must be approaching the 1,000 mark here and have no wrapping paper, so if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Still need wrapping paper

Hi folks,

With all that has been happening lately with D'Arcy Wrights disappearance and with us all being so involved with the day to day activities of the search, we have not been able to update this thread. Without question, we all feel a tremendous loss for D'Arcy, but we need to go on with the activities that take place at this special time of year.

Please, if any of you fine folks are coming to the DR between now and New Years Eve, we are in desperate need of wrapping paper for our annual toy drive. If someone could bring some down for us and donate it to the cause, we and some of the less fortunate children of the DR will be eternally grateful.

We will drive almost anywhere to pick it up if you are unable to deliver it to Rocky's on your own.

Thanks to those who have so selflessly donated time, money and help with this endeavor so far. Without your help, this event could not be the successful event it has been for so many years.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Rick

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Just a suggestion but my husband's family has a tradition of using old newspapers, paper, etc. and they make some dyes and spatter the papers and use that to wrap any gifts, food, etc. for Christmas. I know it's not as glamorous but it's cheap (virtually free), environmentally friendly and still creates the element of surprise of what's inside!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just a suggestion but my husband's family has a tradition of using old newspapers, paper, etc. and they make some dyes and spatter the papers and use that to wrap any gifts, food, etc. for Christmas. I know it's not as glamorous but it's cheap (virtually free), environmentally friendly and still creates the element of surprise of what's inside!
It's a nice idea but part of what we are doing is to give presents to kids who have never even seen a gift wrapped present.
Bling and flash is hyper important to the kids.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
It's a nice idea but part of what we are doing is to give presents to kids who have never even seen a gift wrapped present.
Bling and flash is hyper important to the kids.

Of course - I can totally understand that. I was just thinking in terms of in case you didn't get the necessary supplies. Another idea is gift bags. They are very popular in Canada right now and you can buy all sizes for $1 a piece at the Dollar Store (cheap but suprisingly chic for the price) and they can be easily packed flat in your suitcase. They are very fashionable and come in all sizes and styles from Disney to Dora the Explorer, with feathers, fur, sparkles, etc. Just suggesting them because they might be easier to pack and bring than rolls of paper. For gift bags - don't forget coloured tissue - also available at the Dollar Store!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Of course - I can totally understand that. I was just thinking in terms of in case you didn't get the necessary supplies. Another idea is gift bags. They are very popular in Canada right now and you can buy all sizes for $1 a piece at the Dollar Store (cheap but suprisingly chic for the price) and they can be easily packed flat in your suitcase. They are very fashionable and come in all sizes and styles from Disney to Dora the Explorer, with feathers, fur, sparkles, etc. Just suggesting them because they might be easier to pack and bring than rolls of paper. For gift bags - don't forget coloured tissue - also available at the Dollar Store!
I have done the bags before with reasonable success but bear in mind, all that I spend on wrapping paper or bags, means that many less gifts and that many more kids without prezzies.
When I owned Rocky's, I'd just spend at will, but now that I'm retarded and on a fixed income, it's a bit tight.
I've got 500 to 1,000 prezzies now and I'm tapped out.
Nobody is obliged to chip in and I'm not even requesting it and if someone can get me nice paper, big rolls of it, I will gladly pay for it.
I WANT them to look nice.
It's a huge part of the thrill for the kids.
BTW: Some good folks did chip in and that contributed to approx. an extra 40 presents.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Our cash is still sitting here waiting for either someone to collect or BB to be going in Sosua direction. It kinda got....... overtaken by events. But it's still here.
Yes, I'm so sorry.
D'Arcy has been taking precedence and I just plain forgot.
And thanks for being so generous every year.

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Our cash is still sitting here waiting for either someone to collect or BB to be going in Sosua direction. It kinda got....... overtaken by events. But it's still here.

I could help with this either way with a special trip or pay for delivery.

And don't even think I am suggesting this as way to take a road trip to purchase prime Rib or pizza

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For any Canadians heading South, the best buy I've found is HUGE rolls of reversible wrapping paper at Costco which sell for just over $10CDN per roll.

I take a couple for Marco if I head to the North Coast in the Fall but alas, not this year.

Marco and Rick were already booked for next Nov. (is it too early to book space for the US Thanksgiving Dinner? - LOL) and I guarantee we'll be bringing wrapping paper at that time.

Gregg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For any Canadians heading South, the best buy I've found is HUGE rolls of reversible wrapping paper at Costco which sell for just over $10CDN per roll.

I take a couple for Marco if I head to the North Coast in the Fall but alas, not this year.

Marco and Rick were already booked for next Nov. (is it too early to book space for the US Thanksgiving Dinner? - LOL) and I guarantee we'll be bringing wrapping paper at that time.

Gregg
A special thanks to you greg.
I remember well the giant rolls you have brought down throughout the years.
You have a good heart.
Regards, Marco.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Rocky, when do you need this by? We don't come down until the 29th, if you're doing this for 1/6 maybe we can bring a bunch down - BUT we'll be in SD, if anyone could get it to you. ???? I have 3 big rolls I never used myself, and after Christmas everything will be very cheap in the stores so I could grab some more. We're allowed 2 suitcases each [4 total] but only have 3 because we shipped 4 boxes down in October - so I have room.

Of course, if you're doing it for la noche buena the point is moot.....

AE

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Rocky, when do you need this by? We don't come down until the 29th, if you're doing this for 1/6 maybe we can bring a bunch down - BUT we'll be in SD, if anyone could get it to you. ???? I have 3 big rolls I never used myself, and after Christmas everything will be very cheap in the stores so I could grab some more. We're allowed 2 suitcases each [4 total] but only have 3 because we shipped 4 boxes down in October - so I have room.

Of course, if you're doing it for la noche buena the point is moot.....

AE

What s/he said. I have a friend arriving on 1/1 at like 4:00 pm, and will be going right through Sosua shortly after that. I think she could make room, but don't want to do this if it is too late.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What s/he said. I have a friend arriving on 1/1 at like 4:00 pm, and will be going right through Sosua shortly after that. I think she could make room, but don't want to do this if it is too late.

Please bring it on down as the presents keep pouring in and they will be wrapping presents until 11pm.

This is a yearly event so wrapping paper never goes to waste or out of style

Thanks and merry Xmas

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005

Gregg

So I talked to my friend, and she remembered these big rolls at Costco (I didn't) but thought they were really long. Like longer than allowance for suitcases (60" or more). How, may I ask, did you get them down here?

She is originally from the Philipines, and they are expert packers (which is still probably an understatement), and she didn't see an easy solution for this one. It appears the Filipinos have some "opportunities" (as my boss says to me when a situation presents itself that I probably should know, but didn't) with the art of packing.

And maybe there is something the world can learn from the Canadians after all, eh? (and everyone...it is a joke...it seems like everyone is really on edge around here lately...so I apologize in advance to the Canadians, the Filipinos, and my boss in case I have offended anyone). ;)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
So I talked to my friend, and she remembered these big rolls at Costco (I didn't) but thought they were really long. Like longer than allowance for suitcases (60" or more). How, may I ask, did you get them down here?

They just fit diagonally in my largest suitcase (2 rolls).

Gregg