Moving to Dominican Republic

andy07070

Dec 12, 2009
I am 19 currently at uni and am considering moving to dom republic at the end of the year. I have ?3000 in the bank. Im not bothered about "living the life", i just want experience a different culture. How hard would it be to find cheap accommodation and a job. Im thinking about starting at santa domingo, will i be able to find cheap temporary accommodation whilst i find my feet? How long will ?3000 last me over there, if i spent it wisely?

thanks

Mar 1, 2009
Hey Andy welcome to DR1, I think you should go for it, just like the first Europeans who landed on this island almost 500 yrs ago, you will love it.

3000 quid is a fairly decent amount and it'll last you a little bit (maybe two months). There are volunteer organizations like World Wide Christian Schools, that offer the chance to help out the poor and you get to meet people, make connections and a difference. Rents can be super high 3000 a month or super low 200 dollars a month, just gotta find the right place. My father rents out his whole 2 story house, the house itself on the first floor, three apartments on the 2nd for less than 1000 dollars, divided amongst different tenants. Sorry nothing available there now. Oh you might find some work as an english teacher at a school, it doesn't pay much but at least you'll be able to make some bread and be part of the culture.

Dominicans love foreigners and they love to drink presidentes (beers), plus they love when foreigners buy the presidentes for them so be careful about spending all your pounds on presidentes.

Oh and it's Santo Domingo, or the DR :0)

Do your research and cuidate tigere.

Reactions: mountainannie
Nov 25, 2008
stay away until you have someone who is willing to shadow your experience here in the DR
if not your just going to **** away your $$$ and have a negative experience of the DR

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
DOnt bother andy..you cant survive here

This is what Santiagoguy typed to someone after his first post back on 4-22-09.... -QUOTE-

"Hey Mr.Mike ..you're hilarious...ppl like u r the reason I dont usually bother posting on sites like this. Seriously, u offered no help or insight into my issue, all u did was make a stupid comment out of the blue for a lil extra attn!!"
-END QUOTE-

Well Santiagoguy, I guess being a jerk with no insight to add rubbed off on you a bit huh???;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
sounds like you want a gap year

I am 19 currently at uni and am considering moving to dom republic at the end of the year. I have ?3000 in the bank. Im not bothered about "living the life", i just want experience a different culture. How hard would it be to find cheap accommodation and a job. Im thinking about starting at santa domingo, will i be able to find cheap temporary accommodation whilst i find my feet? How long will ?3000 last me over there, if i spent it wisely?

thanks

there are not that many volunteer experiences open.. and there are a lot of traps.. I can suggest that you contact Jose Bourget up in Las Terrenas who has a program with his Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi..

finding cheap accommodations and a job in Santo Domingo are actually REALLY HARD for a foreigner.. and pretty hard for a Dominican..

The money that you have will indeed last a Dominican a year.. but few foreigners can live like that-- or be safe in those areas..... if you catch my drift.

But it can be done.. And you should go ahead and look for openings. But [finding a job--- unless you are super good at ESL and fluent in Spanish... not so easy.

DrBound1

Feb 10, 2009
Andy, do you speak Spanish? Have you done any research about the lifestyle and culture here? It's great to get out and see the world but you want to have a plan. Even the best laid out plans can change but as long as you have one, when those changes happen, you can adjust.

Life comes at you fast here sometimes. You might have posted previously somewhere else that you speak spanish but I didn't see it so that was the first question I had. It pays to know someone. When the stuff hits the fan you want to have someone you can trust and count on.

What is your plan B? If things don't work out can you return home? I would say if this is what you want to do, you are young enough to bounce back on your feet even if things go horribly wrong. The job scene here ....well I simply don't see it. The pay is peanuts. Many people from other countries live here but they don't live in areas where the rent is 1,500 pesos. Those are areas where when you leave your house, it's a good possibility that you come back to nothing.

Really think this through in terms of cost to get around (I am assuming you will be on foot), phone, if you want internet, food for the month, medicine, light bill, water bill, gas to cook each month, entertainment money (you're not staying in the whole time - you want to get out and explore/learn/take in the culture and the things the island has to offer). Plus, you can find cheap apartments but they will be unfirnished so there is the expense of buying furniture. However, if you are just trying this out, it may be best for you rent furnished...but that's going to drive your costs up for an apartment. These are just some things to keep in mind.

Good luck in whatever you do though. Follow your heart but listen to your guts. The guts NEVER lie! :)