Puerto Plata city - Hotels NON AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Any suggestions for hotels and things to do in the city of Puerto Plata, not in Playa Dorado. I am considering spending a couple of nights in Puerto Plata near the Malecon and view the sights, whatever they may be. Is there enough to do to keep busy for a few days?

What would be the best way to drive to Puerto Plata coming from Santo Domingo?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Apart-hotel Lomar is on the Malecon, also check out Monte Silva and Porto Fino - all posted about several times, so should be easy to find on DR1. Things to do: teleferico up Isabel de Torres, out to Imbert for Damajagua Falls, check Casa de Cultura in the Centre for latest exhibition, Fort San Felipe monument at end of Malecon (historical museum). Amber Museum on Duarte, if you have Spanish on the same street the Fundacion Camaa?o -chat to survivors of Playa Caracoles and other old soldiers. Cathedral in Plaza Independencia, near Casa de Cultura and walk a little way down Separacion to the old Courthouse which is now an art gallery with artists working on site.

Enough for you for a few days or do you need more? :cheeky:

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
hotel center city

Try the Bonsai, on calle Juan Bosch (formerly John F. Kennedy) or if you are budget conscious the Hotel Castilla Calle jose del Carmen Ariza

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
KMA Hotel is pretty decent....owned by some friends of the family.

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago. Huge apartments, clean the only thing I had an issue was the hot water tank not working regularly and sparking every once in a while. Owners son was there and took care of it and wanted suggestion on improving things. It looks like they have done very well for themselves. Jose Luis supermarket is right across the road.
I'm actually looking at staying there again. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay if you stay here.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
KMA Hotel is pretty decent....owned by some friends of the family.

I have to say...it's nice to see such a nicely done and informative website for a small local hotel. They should add rates to the site and maybe even try to hook up with hotels.com, travelocity, etc. From the photos and description seems like they could have a very marketable business there.

Status
Not open for further replies.