Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ick - Sosua Beach

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uotOjOWegNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uotOjOWegNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps CORAAPPLATA should change their logo to to show the reverse side of the statue?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dig-safe???

This was obviously caused by those who are trenching for the fiber optic conduit, but where are the workers?

It looks like they hit the water main and snuck off, much like Bill Murray did in Caddy Shack, after he blew up the golf course.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. Glad I saw this. Will not be heading out to Sosua Beach for a good while.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPNYChic View Post
    Ugh. Glad I saw this. Will not be heading out to Sosua Beach for a good while.
    This was in Sosua news and i doubt i will ever swim there again unless there are conclusive studies done that it is safe to swim there

13 December 2009
    Fishermen complain about pollution
    The hut belonging to the fishermen's association (Associación de pescadores) stands along the mouth of the river Sosúa, in Charamicos, where the fishermen moor up their boats. The fresh fish that they catch is prepared for the market - to be sold to private citizens, but mostly to the restaurants and hotels. However, the chairman of the association, William Arvedo (better known as 'Colón') is complaining about the lack of government support. The river runs through several villages, and villagers use it as an open sewer. Eventually it flows into the bay where the fishermen keep their boats and process their fish. The suburb known as La Piedra also discharges its wastewater directly into the bay. Another problem is that the fishermen are finding it harder to moor up their boats, because the dying coral reef is a hindrance. The boats have to be towed over the reef whenever they enter or leave the bay. Many fishermen are complaining about back problems, even hernia, caused by this daily towing action. The environmental organisation, SOMONCA, led by Milo Martínez, has tried to reduce the river pollution.
    Asociación de pescadores
    He has offered to set up a small fishing harbour, with financial support from donors. However, the implementation of this idea is apparently hindered by the lack of political will, because property developers want to develop a large bungalow park and yacht marina. Some real estate websites are already publishing drawings of these plans. But if this pollution problem is not resolved quickly, even the beautiful waters of the adjacent Sosua bay will make swimming hazardous. If that happens, this will be a disaster for the town, because tourists will not dream of swimming in polluted water! blip.tv (since 2005)

please don't plant me in the sugar cane fields
    Last edited by mike l; 12-14-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: I am begging for posting mercy !

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike L, agreed. I dont think Sosua Beach will see me, period. A similar problem occurred in Waikiki, Hawaii, when I was living there and though it was on local news, the tourists never heard about it. The fact that someone got a flesh eating virus and died from swimming at the beach didnt make the local tourism boards conscience flinch. I never stepped foot in there again but millions have since then.

I dont doubt something similar will occur in DR where theyre already suffering from lack of patronage. Chances are, few will ever even know it. I weep for the current state of our waters in general.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    ...It looks like they hit the water main and snuck off...
    Based on comments in the video, I believe that's a sewage line

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

........sooooooooo where does it go when the pipes not broken ?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sewer, water, same thing.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPNYChic View Post
    Mike L, agreed. I dont think Sosua Beach will see me, period. A similar problem occurred in Waikiki, Hawaii, when I was living there and though it was on local news, the tourists never heard about it. The fact that someone got a flesh eating virus and died from swimming at the beach didnt make the local tourism boards conscience flinch. I never stepped foot in there again but millions have since then.

I dont doubt something similar will occur in DR where theyre already suffering from lack of patronage. Chances are, few will ever even know it. I weep for the current state of our waters in general.
    I lived in Waikiki for a couple of years and did not think that could exist there.

The rain run off from the ala wai canal could be the reason.

It's a shame but the babes on the beach are still worth the visit.

Swimming in Sosua Bay I did notice what looked like fecal matter and then said to myself it couldn't be but i was wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast