want to move, need job

Malakina

Dec 13, 2009
hello everyone. I'm from Germany and would like to move to the Dominician Republic for a longer period of time. My Spanish is not that good yet though.
In Germany I did a aprenticeship as a truck mechanic/electrician and also worked a while after the apprenticeship.If I count the time I worked as a truck mechanic its totaly about 4 years. I also did a driving licence for trucks of any kind in Germany. Now I'm doing a higher degree in school and working part time in my parents engineer office.

So my questions are :
-If I want to have a dominician driving licence for the truck, do I need to do the whole exam again or just driving or can I maybe even just transfer my German driving licence?

-Does anyone know adresses where I could find a job as a truck driver/mechanic/electrician?
I would also take any other job. It doesnt realy matter to me which job I do.
All I want is to have a life in the Dominician Republic =)

I hope you got some useful infos for me =)
thx in advance

greetings
Martin Schemmel

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Martin: You do NOT want to be a truck driver in the Dominican Republic. You could barely make a living. Besides the fact that the syndicates here are very, very closed and not usually open to foreigners.
Another consideration is that "truck driver" does not have the same meaning here as in the EU or the USA...where, generally speaking, it is a respected and tough profession. Here, they are just slightly above peon status.

Think about staying in Germany, making your parent;s business even better, and taking vacations here.. You will be happier in the long run.

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
  • First what Hillbilly posted above! You cannot imagine what you are trying to get into! Dominicans don't take "competition" lightly and "unions" and their members could have ways to remind you of that which you would have no chance to counter without putting your well being on the line.
  • Second, you can't legally have a Dominican driver license (truck, car) WITHOUT having received at least temporary residency. It takes between 6 to 18 months to legally obtain residency. No license, no insurance coverage after having been in the country 90 days.

If you indeed are a good truck mechanics and up to date (today's models) you might want to google all the companies representing or selling truck brands and see if they'd be interested to hire a German mechanic. I doubt they will (knowledge is sadly underrated in this country) and IF there was any interest, I am afraid you would be appalled by the financial side of the "offer".

Viel Glueck!

... J-D.

Sep 22, 2009
Martin: You do NOT want to be a truck driver in the Dominican Republic. You could barely make a living. Besides the fact that the syndicates here are very, very closed and not usually open to foreigners.
Another consideration is that "truck driver" does not have the same meaning here as in the EU or the USA...where, generally speaking, it is a respected and tough profession. Here, they are just slightly above peon status.

Think about staying in Germany, making your parent;s business even better, and taking vacations here.. You will be happier in the long run.

HB

Couldn't agree more with HB. I did not make the first comment due to the potential threat of another Time Out.

The truckers are also highly unionized 'gangsters' that I have seen "roadblock" driveways to businesses who don't play ball.

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
Try to contact Mr. Hombach from Autozama, Mercedes-Benz. He may know if they would hire you as a truck mechanic.

See here another job they are advertising:
Serviceleiter PKW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now THAT you can live on. And be appreciated.
There are also MAN and SCANIA, truck dealers here, but if you can get hooked up with M-B, I'd say you were going to be very happyu..

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
heres an idea...you re from Germany, they have many german expatriates here permanent and transient. You are an electrician. You should consort with the Germans there that live here to work out a deal for home improvements(under the table to local authorities). #1. it gives you a place to stay while you wire their homes for cable, alarm,wifi, lights, etc. #2 they may be more willing to trust you as German as opposed to the nationals here with respect to quality of work and cost. I dont see any Germans in Santiago, but they may be here. Mostly I see loud mouth Americans who stay at Hodelpa who brag about social work in Haiti. SO you know, you meet a dude over there and you sell him the job. You come for 90 days do the work to his place and stay there until its done. It gives you the opportunity to barter your services for an idea of what life is like in the place you want to move to. And trust me, I dont see how most of these people are not electrocuted doing the work in the way that they do...