Car Insurance Requirements/Reccomendations

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you have a nice car I recomend Universal.If you need basic coverage on a crappy car, I recomend Seguros Pepin.Get,Casa de conductor,coverage. you go to a hotel if you are taken into custody.not to jail! There is a "judge" there to sort things out!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What is the law in the DR? Any advice or reccomended companies/agents?

I would use a broker to get you the best deal.
A good one also comes in very handy if you have an accident.

At DR1 we use: Franco & Acra Tecniseguros

As CC suggested, make sure the coverage you get covers the "Casa de conductor". You will thank us later if you ever have an accident here :)

M0823MIKE

May 19, 2006
What is the law in the DR? Any advice or reccomended companies/agents?

Thanks. Does anyone know if insurance is mandatory or voluntary. Is it "no fault" so if there is an accident each person goes to his company and they sort things out?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
Thanks. Does anyone know if insurance is mandatory or voluntary. Is it "no fault" so if there is an accident each person goes to his company and they sort things out?

Thanks

Unless there are injuries.... otherwise everybody goes to jail until it's sorted out

.... I have BanReservas ... and they are great ... I don't even have to change a flat tire myself... I just sit in my office and they beep me up, I go down and they change the flat tire... or I come to a resort, my tire's flat, I beep them up, they come down, they beep me again, I come from the pool with pinacolada, they change the tire and off I go back to the pool... or last Saturday I had a headlight bulb connector changed because it was burnt, the electrician did a crappy job and the bulb was flying around, it was late at night when I found out, I rang them up, they came down, and fixed my bulb ... while I was eating dinner at a friend's house.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Unless there are injuries.... otherwise everybody goes to jail until it's sorted out

.... I have BanReservas ... and they are great ... I don't even have to change a flat tire myself... I just sit in my office and they beep me up, I go down and they change the flat tire... or I come to a resort, my tire's flat, I beep them up, they come down, they beep me again, I come from the pool with pinacolada, they change the tire and off I go back to the pool... or last Saturday I had a headlight bulb connector changed because it was burnt, the electrician did a crappy job and the bulb was flying around, it was late at night when I found out, I rang them up, they came down, and fixed my bulb ... while I was eating dinner at a friend's house.

Rubio: Can you please give me they phone number. I have Universal but I would like to check this out....sounds great lol...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Minimum insurance coverage (seguro de ley) has only minimal liability coverage... I don't know how high (or better- LOW) it is today, but 3 years ago it was only aroun USD 1500.oo (no, not the premium... the Liability COVERAGE!!!). That's what you would have to deal with if you'd get hit by a carro de concho IF it was at all insured (which, given the number, really does not make a difference).
Most "good" policies, differ from that only in that YOUR car is being insured too, for how much (coverage) and the reputation of the company of being solvent and some track record of having satisfied claims.
Universal de Seguros (Banco Popular), seems to top the list of insurances qualifying... it is also the most expensive.
Even if you insure a 100'000 Dollar yipeta, for a yearly premium probably nearing 5 grand, you will still have to ASK them to up the liability coverage to the MAXIMUM, which still could be only as little as 1 Million Pesos (less that USD 30K.). Interestingly, upping liability ads only very little cost to the premium, btw, so do the MAX!!
Then, there are options like road side assistance and "casa del conductor", later which is a service company also providing private jail for the time you would be held in jail until "things" are sorted out. Keep in mind that, as it has been posted on this thread already, if there are gravely hurt or deaths involved, ALL parties WILL be held in jail... sometimes even people who stopped to help or took it upon themselves to drive injured people to a hospital!

I first insured my vehicle with a company I thought offered a "good" deal and was affiliated with AXXA (a large int'l insurer)... then the crash... they have not paid... only "tried" to flimsily resurrect my vehicle (it now looks like a carro de choncho). We are suing them since almost TWO (2) years now and now have Universal cover the new vehicle.

... J-D.