Sosua - Villas Los Coralillos

M

Mike

Do you mean Carolinas? If so it's a nice, inexpensive place near the beach and Casa Marina. Problem (or not) it's next door to a disco and is noisy until four in the morning.

J

JD

Re: Coralillos -- w/El Coral restaurant

No, I think the Carolinas is a different place, at least i hope so because the disco noise would drive me nuts!

I'm trying to find out more about the Coralillos on Alejo Martinez, described in Frommer's Caribbean 97 as "terra-cotta-tiled Iberian villas cantilevered over a bougainvillea-draped hillside" (gotta love that poetry), and "the only hotel in town with direct access to the main Sosua beach." It's also the home of El Coral restaurant.

At around $40/night incl. breakfast, it sounds like a good deal for oceanfront/view, as least on paper! But would love to hear direct experience, since I have no photos and the hotel is not on the internet.

M

Mike Martin

Hi I stayed there about 5 years ago. It has the most beautiful views from its villas and the decks of its restraunt of any hotel in Sosua or almost anywhere else I can think of. I path winds through the gardens past the pool to wonerful Sosou beach. The villas each have a large veranda, lots of flowers. Its in a quiet residential area 5 min walk to centre of town. About 7 years ago an unattractive two storey building was built on the edge of the property, avoid these rooms. Next door is a very lovely small elegant hotel/restraunt The Marco Polo, expect it is very expensve.

M

Mike

Re: Coralillos -- w/El Coral restaurant

Sorry JD, my mistake. Villas Los Corallilos and El Coral are indeed on a cliff(small) overlooking the big beach in Sosua. It is in a quiet part of town but minutes to everything. I haven't stayed there but the casitas look quite nice. You are also next door to Marco Polo,a very nice hotel, good food etc. The view from either place is as spectacular as any I've seen in the world. I had a beer up there last week, and am going back in March. Buena suerte Mike F. Toronto

J

JD

Hi Mike Martin (I had an old friend with the same name so I almost feel like I know you! :) Both your posts and the other Mike's were very helpful and made me feel better about my reservation -- thanks. hopefully the fact that the room is relatively cheap ($40) doesn't mean that I'm in the ugly building you mention!

M

Mike Martin

Hi The "ugly sister" does not have the charm of the villas, I have stayed in both. The villas set in beautiful gardens make it are worth asking for a switch when you get there. I do not know recent conditions but they can not take away that magnificent view . I must have taken dozens of pictures from my villa and from the restaurant. Have I great holiday and I hope you will report in when you return. I hope to go again befor spring.

J

JD

Do you recall that you paid a lot more for the villa than the room in the "ugly brother" building? or did you pay the same rate and they moved you into a villa as an upgrade when you arrived? or do some of the villas have rooms in them that rent separately at the same rate as the rooms in the ugly building? does the ugly building have the same view?... I'm wondering if I can figure out from the rate I got where I'm going to be put.... trying to avoid another long distance call to them. Thanks again Mike -- you've been a big help!

J

JD

Thanks again Mike. Oy, oy, it sounds like I am going to be in the UB (ugly building), because I telephoned them myself to reserve and just asked for a "room for 2" thinking that some of the villas had rooms in them to rent out. Didn't realize at the time there was also a UB -- Frommer wasn't doing his duty leaving that key piece of info out of his travel book description of Coralillos! Glad I asked y'all...

M

Mike Martin

Hi JD When I stayed in the villas I had friends to share with so it worked out very reasonable and they switched villas to let us have the one with a big veranda for entertaining. When I returned I was alone and did not need a whole villa so rented a cheaper room only in the ugly building. Be sure to visit the Marco polo next door if only for a drink....it had been restored and with an addition...very trendy for a town like Sosua. Was your accomodation described as a room or a villa? The ugly building is comprised of only rooms.

M

Mike Martin

Not to worry . I just took a look in Ulysses Travel Guide...author picked best in each catagory, he picked the Marco Polo best view in D.R. You have same view from your hotel restraunt decks. Hope you will give a current report when you get back. Mike Martin

J

JD

if one does get stuck in that uglier building vs. a villa, is it really bad? i.e. is it just unattractive on the outside or also on the inside? Are there views of the ocean from there (vs. the villas)? do they also have verandas as the villas do?

J

JD

just found out that the villas are $120/night with breakfast for 4 people. that compares to the rooms for 2 in the less attractive building for $40/night with breakfast. Mike or anyone - can you please describe the rooms in the less attractive building? thanks.

M

Mike Martin

It was just a basic room but at the price quoted it's a bargain.