US passport expires in 1 month

miozio

May 23, 2009
I was wondering if my friend could still come over from NY JFK on the 18th of December 2009 with a us passport that expires in January 2010.
thanks a bunch ))

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
probably but

I was wondering if my friend could still come over from NY JFK on the 18th of December 2009 with a us passport that expires in January 2010.
thanks a bunch ))

Why risk it? There are lots of passport expediting services that will get a renewal in 24 hours. It will cost, sure.. but better than sitting on the beach worrying or having to renew here in Santo Domingo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
ya you can get it expedited at the State Department on Hudson Street in Manhattan. It will be like 95 bux now because you ll need the new tamper-proof enhanced passport AND the tourist card.

RossW

Jun 21, 2007
www.MovingtoDR.com
I agree with annie. I also believe you are not allowed to travel with a passport that expires within six months of your departure date (for sure when going to Canada). You should check with your airline to be sure...

I have used American Passport Experts before and received my passport within a few days. If you live in or near NYC you can get same day turn around. Their web address is passportexperts.com

The service cost $150 if my memory serves me correctly.

Good luck!

miozio

May 23, 2009
the thing is, its only a 10 days stay here in DR, we were thinking why paying $150 if he returns to the US on the 28th of December, the passport expires on the 10th of January 2010. Will there be problems at POP airport?

RossW

Jun 21, 2007
www.MovingtoDR.com
I do not think you will have problems on the DR side. If you are going to have problems they will be in the US...

Last edited by a moderator:

miozio

May 23, 2009
I do not think you will have problems on the DR side. If you are going to have problems they will be in the US...

He has a round trip ticket with a 10 day stay, will they not let him out from the US? He is a US citizen... the return is on the 28th of December 2009, expiry 10th of January 2010... If there is no problem from the DR side, we are fine to go.. i think...

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Depends upon the country you are entering

My daughter got caught in Australia with less than a month on hers and could not board a plane to New Zealand however I had no problem entering Tortola BVI. I'm sure you can check DR's requirements.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
He has a round trip ticket with a 10 day stay, will they not let him out from the US? He is a US citizen... the return is on the 28th of December 2009, expiry 10th of January 2010... If there is no problem from the DR side, we are fine to go.. i think...

They have to let him out of the US. And I checked and there is nothing on the DR US Embassy page about requiring a passport to be valid for six months.. so, yes, you should be fine....

Obviously you are young and therefore are comfortable taking the risk psychologically......(I remember the days!)

However.. just know that if anything happens so that he misses his return flight and has to renew his passport here in Santo Domingo, it is going to cost a LOT more than the $150 since there is no 24 turn around here...

So he had best travel with a copy of his birth certificate and Social security card and other photo id... just in case...They may let him in with those...after some detention and strip searching, etc etc etc...

And, of course, if you have to come back here to DR1 because he has to renew his passport in the DR, I am going to rag on you without mercy!!

Enjoy.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Check with your airlines according to the U.S. passport page, they recommend that you renew your passport 9 months prior to expiration, and say that some airlines will not let your board if your passport is due to expire within 6 months of your travel dates. check out frequently asked questions #9:

Frequently Asked Questions

Reactions: Bronxboy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I feel like using Chiri's acronym

lmgtfy

let me google that for you

Do I need a U.S. Passport to travel to the Dominican Republic? - U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Passports

"Do I need a U.S. Passport to travel to the Dominican Republic?

As of January 23, 2007, when the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative was implemented, all U.S. citizen travelers to the Dominican Republic ARE REQUIRED to possess a valid U.S. passport to enter/exit the country, or to re-enter the United States. For this reason, the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling to the Dominican Republic do so on a valid U.S. passport.

For more information on Dominican Immigration laws and regulations, please visit the web site of the Dominican Immigration Authorities at: Direccion General de Migracion (available in Spanish only)."

nothing there about three or six months validity

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well it certainly sounds like your friend is good to go, as it seems to be at the discretion of the individual airline, so I hope your friend enjoys his stay.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank you everyone for your help, really appreciate it as usual here on DR1. Still, If there is anyone with personal experience, i'll be excited to hear it )))