Bad news for DR banana growers?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The smaller Caribbean islands are the ones who are likely to suffer most - St Lucia, St Vincent, Dominica. The DR is a larger contender and as you point out has developed the successful organic niche.

Farmers here also have more alternatives than in those tiny mono-crop economies where the only choice is between bananas and tourism.

Reactions: Lucille

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The smaller Caribbean islands are the ones who are likely to suffer most - St Lucia, St Vincent, Dominica. The DR is a larger contender and as you point out has developed the successful organic niche.

Farmers here also have more alternatives than in those tiny mono-crop economies where the only choice is between bananas and tourism.

Chiri: good info.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

Deserves some reputation points.....;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Lucille - another aspect is that the smaller islands had preferential access under the Lom? convention, while the DR, as far as I know, never had that advantage. Then you have the French overseas territories like Martinique and Guadeloupe that get treated as part of France anyway, and they bypass the WTO rules and quotas.

My info may be a little out of date but I used to work on this issue in a former life.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
The DR is part of ACP and the prior agreement, which is why I am asking if this will hurt the DR's pricing for EU exports:

Caribbean

* Antigua and Barbuda
* Bahamas
* Barbados
* Belize
* Cuba, not participating in EPA[citation needed]
* Dominica
* Dominican Republic
* Grenada
* Guyana
* Haiti
* Jamaica
* Saint Kitts and Nevis
* Saint Lucia
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
* Suriname
* Trinidad and Tobago

All countries of the Caribbean Community plus Dominican Republic group negotiate in the CARIFORUM EPA with the EU.