Getting Married in the DR What do I need to bring with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Hello all,

I am marrying in the DR to a Dominican. He went to the palazio de justica and they are first of all charging an arm and a leg compared to a dominican marrying a dominican. any way I need to know what documentation to bring with me? Help...I have 7 days till my flight leaves!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A round trip ticket?
A pre-nup for sure.
A certificate that you are single.
A birth certificate.

Know you that there is no reason for them to charge any more, this is just a sign of things to come. He might be getting a divorce first, or not...

Not to worry, other wits will come along with better advice....

HB

redheadkatie

May 2, 2009
You need your birth certificate and single status affidavit translated and legalized by the dominican consulate in your country. You also need your passport.

Sep 22, 2009
How about running his Cedula through DataCredito and the PN? This just doesn't sound like a well thought-out, risk-mitigated plan.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Taken from the legal section

Marriage requirements:

The Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license. You need only to register to be married. The Oficialia del Estado Civil charges RD$50 for this. This is the first step prior to getting a marriage certificate.

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

II. After the marriage:

You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) that married you.

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

I will move your post to the legal forum

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
You need your birth certificate and single status affidavit translated and legalized by the dominican consulate in your country. You also need your passport.

His aunt works at that office and she says that the single status affidavit can be done in DR. Do you know?

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Marriage requirements:

The Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license. You need only to register to be married. The Oficialia del Estado Civil charges RD$50 for this. This is the first step prior to getting a marriage certificate.

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

II. After the marriage:

You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) that married you.

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

I will move your post to the legal forum

Thanks Anna,
This helps alot.

Sep 22, 2009
His aunt works at that office and she says that the single status affidavit can be done in DR. Do you know?

Mine was. But it was my own attorney (and also a business partner) who drafted and notarized the deal. Otherwise, how can he attest that you are single? I'm sure for 2K pesos, you can get most to draft that document.

(n.b. NOT legal advice) use search in the legal forum like Anna indicated above. it's all over that forum.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Morenita here is more info posted by Sangria;

what you need

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->For You...

passport

single status affidavit stamped by a notary, translated into spanish by a certified translator & legalized by the dominican consulate (ottawa, toronto).

birth certificate (some hotels request this to be translated & legalized as well)

For your fiancee...

cedula

if either of you have been married before you would need additional documents proving divorce/death etc also translated & legalized.

If you are getting married in a hotel you need to submit these early depending on the hotels requirements.

Cost to have the docs translated & legalized by the consulate is $140.00US per document.

This website outlines everything that you need. They charge the same as sending the docs direct to the consulate.

Dominican Wedding - All Wedding Services in the Dominican Republic from Toronto, Canada.

Sangria
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

okgo

Jul 29, 2009
this is by no means a personal attack on you morenitaguapa, but it really amazes me when women come in here asking what they need to marry a Dominican citizen. Shouldn't their soon-to-be spouses know this? And if they don't know it, wouldn't it raise some sort of red flag?

Maybe it's just me....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
this is by no means a personal attack on you morenitaguapa, but it really amazes me when women come in here asking what they need to marry a Dominican citizen. Shouldn't their soon-to-be spouses know this? And if they don't know it, wouldn't it raise some sort of red flag?

Maybe it's just me....

Well first of all and it's not the topic here but from what I see it's always the woman that needs to do all the work when organizing a wedding no matter what country it's in. The groom normally gets a tux and shows up.;)

Now if you read her post again she asks what she needs to bring with her to the DR. She is coming from another country and that is why we have the info posted in the LEGAL section of DR1. Unless people are getting married in a resort and have someone doing all the planning they also need to know what documents are needed to make the marriage legal in their respective countries.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Well first of all and it's not the topic here but from what I see it's always the woman that needs to do all the work when organizing a wedding no matter what country it's in. The groom normally gets a tux and shows up.;)

We men don't care. Thats why. If it was up to us, after we got married we would have a pizza pie and call it a day.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We men don't care. Thats why. If it was up to us, after we got married we would have a pizza pie and call it a day.

Exactly!!!! so please allow people to ask questions in this Legal forum. That is what it's here for.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Now if you read her post again she asks what she needs to bring with her to the DR. She is coming from another country and that is why we have the info posted in the LEGAL section of DR1. Unless people are getting married in a resort and have someone doing all the planning they also need to know what documents are needed to make the marriage legal in their respective countries.

Hardly, I had to provide the same paperwork, including the death certificate of my first wife. As far as planning the wedding itself, all either of us had to do was show up, Yris earlier than me due to all the hair....etc.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Maybe it's just me....

I second this sentiment. How much work is HE putting into this? As a matter of fact if you re only going to be here for 7 days more, then enjoy your time with him...and then when you come back in 3 months, this will give HIM plenty of time to ascertain what is needed and how HE can put it together and then YOU can come with all the appropriate documents.

You sound like you re in a rush to do something that SHOULDNT BE RUSHED. If you re in love with the dude and he s in love with you nothing will be damaged, lost, compromised by waiting 'til next time to jump the broom....unless someone is running a game? Then its like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenross: ABC=Always Be CLosing.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You sound like you re in a rush to do something that SHOULDNT BE RUSHED. If you re in love with the dude and he s in love with you nothing will be damaged, lost, compromised by waiting 'til next time to jump the broom....unless someone is running a game? Then its like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenross: ABC=Always Be CLosing.

Sheepshanx,;) it's incredible to me how some people think a poster has to tell their whole story when asking a simple question.

She has been a member here ( DR1) for 5 years, read again 5 years so maybe she's been there once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.