New Year in the Dominican Republic

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I will be flyig out for two weeks in the DR Dec 31. I will be bringing used clothes and some new stuff( shoes, jeans , ) for the family I know well there- they live in la caleta and are very very poor. I bring presnts for their 4 kids.
My question is- would it be terribly " in your face' for me to bring other small gifts and candy( chocolate, candy canes ,toys from Walmarts, whatever) and offer them out in gift bags to the other poor kids in the neighborhood? Or is that going too far and would it be an insult to the parents? I don;t want to upset anybody- but think at Christmas kids need to be able to enjoy it as I used to.. but I doubt these kids who have often no shoes on their feet, get even a candy cane. I fear the parents might get upset with me... but it would only be a small gesture- maybe a toy car or a doll or activity books- something small but wrapped up nice for them to rip open.... am I on thin ice? I am not one of those types that loves to be the center of attention- but I do like to see the kids happy- they pull on anyone's heartstrings- and I know giving money will probably mean beer for the father and no gift for the child. so I want to avoid that.. I thought about my friend just doing it- maybe inviting all the local kids to his place and putting lots of small wrapped-up toys in a barrel- and having them all pick a gift- blue for boys , pink for girls- but that might get crazy- any ideas you can give- I really want to do something- it is the first time I will be spending this time of the year over there- I've been anumber of times before- and it is a special time for kids... thanks Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes I like the Idea,and you know that as the Resident Curmudgeon, I don't like a lot of stuff here.

So here's what you do:
ARRIVAL: You give the family (Mom and Dad and the kids) a few little presents, nothing heavy duty) just saying that I am glad to see you again and Santa left these for you at my house.

THEN on the 6 Jan (THree King's Day) you trot out the "good stuff" for the kids, IF they have left grass and cookies for the camels and the three kings, of course.

AND THEN, a couple of days later, you have the mother take a bag of little stuff, like jump ropes, Hot Wheels, Jacks, Tops, easy to carry and small enough to have plenty, and Have her play "La Vieja Bel?n" an old Dominican-Italian custom where by an old lady that assisted the Three Kings goes after them seeking the Christ child but leaving little gifts (even scented soap) at the doorsteps of the poor children.

this would be a fantastic series of events that you would never, ever forget.

Merry Christmas to you...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans totally love sweets. you will find parents asking shyly if they can have a candy themselves :)
candy, cookies and chocolate will be appreciated by everyone!
feliz navidad :)

Reactions: amstellite

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Do you know of any NGOs or community organizations in the area? Perhaps you could partner with them to do a party? They might already have something going on, and the gifts might be a nice addition.

Is this the La Caleta in Boca Chica? I can track down the contact for a great organization in Boca Chica that works with street children if you are interested.

Otherwise, I would suggest something that encourages creativity: crayons and coloring books, activity books, etc. You can usually get these in bulk at party supply stores in the US.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
as always you never fail to please HB my friend- I love this story of the vieja Belen so much so I googled it and found out it is truly a Dominican thing but is dying out- thanks so much for the idea and yes- I will make this happen... it will be a wonderful experience and I cannot wait to get back to relay to everyone how it goes down... and thanks for a few more ideas on the gift front- I have yoyos but I didn;t think about the hot wheels- but what are jacks?? and tops ( spinning tops?) I can get a whole bunch of these- I bought a bunch of water pistols, tons of lego bricks on Ebay and a bunch ot plastic bob the builder stuff for nxt to nothing- so thatshould start me off- but I will make note and get some more small stuff- the cars area good idea... any more ideas? The candy is a definite.. chocolate may melt thought\, no?? They don;t have much of a fridge at the house...but that is cool- the vieja Belen- what a great way to end my trip ( I leave the 12th jan) - cheers for all thr pointers - I will let you know... Mike

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
thanks- chocolate or hard candy you think is preferred?? after Xamas here it'
s all on sale so i will take tons of the stuff... hope they have good dentists...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
las 2137- yes it's the La caleta near Boca Chica- and yes - if you have someone I can contact I am more than happy to touch base wiht them to help- I bring over stuff all the time for my friends in L Caleta but I can send much more - good used stuff-but very good stuff- clothes toys you name it- I send by barrel ( not a good idea i have recently diiscoverd) and by extra suitcases when I go- but I would be more then happy to add my bit to anything they might be organizing fown there while I'm in the area... if you have an email name or phone number please give it to me ..and I will follow up... thanks for the great advice and let's all have a very happy Xmas.. cheers Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you may take nice pens/pencils/crayons with jonas brothers, hannah montana, sponge bob and whatnot. not only entertaining but will serve kids at school...
girls like decorative hair clips. small things but they give joy :)
if you get mini mars/snickers they should survive the heat. can be m&m's too. any small chocolate candy in hard shell will do. fruit chewing gum and lollipops will be great too.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Mike- I am working on the contact info and will PM it to you when I receive it. Cheers!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
bro, i have found that chocolate rule! Go to walmart and buy like $80-100 worth of the 8pack jobbies. You know the bite size Reeses, ALmond Joys, etc. GET THE WHOLE MIXED ASSORTMENT. These people LOVE chocolate but only experience it in 1 form or another. M&Ms are popular, but you can expose them to Kitkats and Twix, etc. I dont know where you live but hopefully its in a cold area right now. Heres what I did(in the fall). You put the candies in the freez, put them in your luggage that will get stowed under the plane. At 30,000 feet its cold enough to keep them solid. When you get to DR, take the cab straight to your place, its the first thing to unpack, toss them in the freez there and then make the goody bags there to give to the kiddos. I BET! you ll have los padres asking you for extras. I can t say but I think 10 candies per bag is a cool gig.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
awesome ideasDV8- advice taken on the candies to take ... if you think of any more small stuff I can get in quantities please drop me a line- thks-

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
nice advice Racer- yep- the freezere thing is a brilliant idea- and the candies I am now sure from all the relies will go down a storm- and it 's not expensive here so I can buy a lot- I hope they don;t have restrictions on bring chocolate into the country !!! I may have to bribe a customs official with some Reese pieces but it will be worth it ... cheers MIke