Armed robbery at Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday around 7pm. a swedish tourist was robbed by 3 Haitiens with machetes right after he left Scandinavian Beach bar. They took his backpack with some money, and important papers.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Where they caught?

If not caught how do you know they were Haitiens?

They where not cought, but observed by many in the minutes before the attack.
And no, they did't show id's, so theoretically they could have been immigrants from Congo or something.

Mar 2, 2008
The person who was robbed was very clear about clear in his description. The people who carried out the robbery were Haitian. This is not a question of racism, it is simply a factual aspect of this case.

I personally saw the young man this morning, and I spoke to several people who are familiar with the situation and who also know Tom (the owner of the Scandinavian Bar).

Again, the robbers were obviously Haitian, clearly indicated by their speech, demeanor, and appearance, to say nothing of their weapon of choice.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
This could definitely shed some light on the recent missing person as well. In either case people need to be careful especially leaving the beach at night. Hopefully these people will be caught quickly.

When I was last in Sosua I stayed on the beach until after dark several times and was told specifically to walk up to the main entrance by LaRoca and not up the stairs in the middle when it was dark. Some Dominican friends of mine told me it is much more dangerous there at night and even they walked up towards LaRoca when they left the beach at night.Seemed like good advise being as they worked on the beach and lived there.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This could definitely shed some light on the recent missing person as well. In either case people need to be careful especially leaving the beach at night. Hopefully these people will be caught quickly.

When I was last in Sosua I stayed on the beach until after dark several times and was told specifically to walk up to the main entrance by LaRoca and not up the stairs in the middle when it was dark. Some Dominican friends of mine told me it is much more dangerous there at night and even they walked up towards LaRoca when they left the beach at night.Seemed like good advise being as they worked on the beach and lived there.

Thats a good advice, but the guy didn't reached that far, they took him right after he had passed Hermann's (Siempre Sol).

Mar 2, 2008
No, you can't pimp your gals, but a girl can make her own arrangements, without legal consequence.

There is a huge difference.

Mr Barcelo

Jul 22, 2009

Very good point Beads - I would like to see this followed up on in reference to D'arcy. He was hanging at Hermans if I'm not mistaken, and was missing on Wed. Criminals do operate like clockwork.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Very good point Beads - I would like to see this followed up on in reference to D'arcy. He was hanging at Hermans if I'm not mistaken, and was missing on Wed. Criminals do operate like clockwork.

According to reports he made it home.
But nothing to say that he was not followed there.

As far as operating like clockwork, have to agree with you there.

For a time and even now certain hours at night namely from about 1-3am seem(ed) to be the target time for the ladrone to be patrolling our neighborhood.

Be careful, watch over your shoulder, never let someone start following close behind you. This happened to me once while waiting for the bus. Each time I moved, he moved behind me again. He stopped and left after I put my hand inside my shirt.

Don

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
OK, it was requested that I consider re-opening this thread so I deleted the Off Topic posts (2/3 of all the posts, FYI) and we'll try again.

The leash is short, please stay on topic.

Gregg
Mod.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
We need to stick together

This young fellow is staying with us here at Rocky's. I was devastated when I heard he had been robbed. He is a very nice guy, young and innocent.

One question. Do the people committing these crimes not realize that this young man will probably never return to the DR to have a good time and spend his hard earned money? Not only that, just how many friends do you think this fellow is going to tell just how dangerous it can be here?

It is very unfortunate that the people responsible for this robbery do not think about tomorrow. Many people will be turned off because of it and choose to visit a different country simply because they have heard it may be safer.

Sure, this can happen in any country at any time. But it happened here. In our backyard. It is affecting all of us who live, work, own businesses and make a living here. We live here because we love it here. These acts of violence will affect us all in one way or another... They have to stop!

We need to warn people to keep their eyes open and keep their street smarts on high alert anytime but especially at this time of year when people are so desperate they will do almost anything for a few pesos to feed their families.

I am so sorry this happened. I wish I had the answers.

Rick

"God bless D'Arcy where ever he may be and may he keep him safe and assist him to return swiftly to his friends and family"

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This young fellow is staying with us here at Rocky's. I was devastated when I heard he had been robbed. He is a very nice guy, young and innocent.

One question. Do the people committing these crimes not realize that this young man will probably never return to the DR to have a good time and spend his hard earned money? Not only that, just how many friends do you think this fellow is going to tell just how dangerous it can be here?

It is very unfortunate that the people responsible for this robbery do not think about tomorrow. Many people will be turned off because of it and choose to visit a different country simply because they have heard it may be safer.

Sure, this can happen in any country at any time. But it happened here. In our backyard. It is affecting all of us who live, work, own businesses and make a living here. We live here because we love it here. These acts of violence will affect us all in one way or another... They have to stop!

We need to warn people to keep their eyes open and keep their street smarts on high alert anytime but especially at this time of year when people are so desperate they will do almost anything for a few pesos to feed their families.

I am so sorry this happened. I wish I had the answers.

Rick

"God bless D'Arcy where ever he may be and may he keep him safe and assist him to return swiftly to his friends and family"

Rick,

While I agree 100% with you, if the perps were from Haiti they don't care about tomorrow as they stripped their own country of all wood necessery for cooking.

As poverty stricken as both countries are it's a " feed me today, worry about tomorrow' attitude that is an issue .

With the decline in tourism and therefore income what other choices are there.

This is the real question so how do we address it?

You can do simple things like we all do to donate and educate but at the end of the day people need to eat.

My Prayers and best wishes are to everyone that post's informatively and a few wise guys!

Find D'Arcy....God's Speed!

Yesterday around 7pm. a swedish tourist was robbed by 3 Haitiens with machetes right after he left Scandinavian Beach bar. They took his backpack with some money, and important papers.

Who the hell hangs out on the beach with important papers???? what are you doing on the beach well after dark??? Come on now this could happen in any place in the world if you dont keep your wits about you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Who the hell hangs out on the beach with important papers???? what are you doing on the beach well after dark??? Come on now this could happen in any place in the world if you dont keep your wits about you.
So are we saying that Sosua is now a 9 to 5 town?

Those important papers could have been his passport and/or other Identification.

7pm is not late at night.

He was having a few drinks and/or eating at the beach bar.
Remember Sosua is a BEACH TOURIST town.

Should businesses close their doors when it starts to get dark?
Don't go to discos, etc at night?
Buy your groceries and other needs only during daylight hours?
Lock yourself in your room as the Sun sets?

Get realistic!

Those that choose to live here are really getting SICK of hearing the following excuse:
"this could happen in any place in the world"

"Everything" could happen in any place in the World, but it didn't, it happened here!
Do something besides shifting blame and making excuses !!!!!!!!!

Don

Mar 2, 2008
Badpiece, you can do better than that. What is it with blaming the victim?

I have met the guy. He is a nice young kid from Sweden. He wasn't doing anything wrong, just visiting with some friends at a very reputable bar. He left relatively early (7:00 PM is early by most standards), and was walking home, about two units down from Seimpre Sol.

This happened one week after D'Arcy went missing, last seen (by some accounts) near the same location. If anyone chooses to ignore those set of circumstances, please feel free to do so, but to some of us who know the area, it is a very troubling situation.

Whatever, the person in question is not to blame for what happened. There are many contributing factors, but he is not one of them.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Perhaps DR needs a taste of the medicine Jamaica got in the 80's. White flight and the virtual shut down of their tourist industry due to out of control crime.

I remember the television commercials from when I was a boy...... "Come Back to Jamaica" the woman in the commercial said, er... begged. :surprised

Reactions: AlterEgo
Mar 2, 2008
In some areas, they are already getting the 'white flight' effect. Tourism is down at least 50% from last year by some accounts, and others put it at a much higher percentage.

Of course, that creates a vicious cycle, and when money is scarce people resort to other methods for income. Therefore, more crime, more, 'white flight', more crime, etc.

It is not a pretty scenario, and some people would like to gloss it over, but the facts speak for themselves. Things could get worse before they get better, and everyone should be aware that the game has changed to some extent.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
You’re right on Catcher.

The writing is on the wall, but I am not surprised no one can read it.

How does the expression go?

....... those who do not study history are destined to repeat it………..?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Additional note:

Unlike New York, the Sun sets much later in Sosua........

Therefore based on location, the robbery was not too much after Sunset.
Perhaps one should consider these facts when making conclusions.

For Instance:

December 18, 2009 Rise: / Set:
Actual Time 7:10 AM AST / 6:07 PM AST
Civil Twilight 6:46 AM AST / 6:31 PM AST
Nautical Twilight 6:19 AM AST / 6:58 PM AST
Astronomical Twilight 5:52 AM AST / 7:25 PM AST
Moon 8:50 AM AST / 8:06 PM AST
Length Of Visible Light: 11h 44m

Status
Not open for further replies.