Baby Products in DR??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jesus christo! DR is not south pole, you know.

disposable nappies: pampers and huggies
jars with fruit pulp, or whatever it is called: gerber
liquid milk for infants: nestle, similac, enfamil
powder milk for infants: nestle, similac, enfamil, milex and more

milk is available also in soya or lactose free variety.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jessie, you will find anything and everything you need for a baby in DR. This was true 30 years ago when my kids were babies, and it was true when we brought our little baby grandson there in 2007 & 2008. The big supermarkets have several brands of baby foods [entire aisles for babies] and diapers. If you're using a powdered formula I recommend you mix it with Aqua Orbis water - you'll find gallons of it, usually on the bottom shelf, in the baby food section. It's a aqua-blue color plastic bottle.

AE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
note: vegetable pulp in a jar is not common, only fruit variety.
note 2: aqua orbis can be with fluor and without, check the bottle.
note 3: all baby stuff can be also purchased from any pharmacy.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gee, you were so nice to that poster dv8. As Resident Curmudgeon I would have been much rougher on the OP's ignorance of this place.

I mean, after all, I only use my tree house, when the apes are on vacation....and I stopped hunting for heads at least 10 years ago!!

Sheesh.....

HB

Reactions: Bronxboy

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
Hold on now....

I thought the exact same thing on our second trip, when my son was 8 month's old......

"jesus christo! DR is not south pole, you know." (well not exactly jesus christo, but you get my point)

But after just packing 2 day's food for my son, and going to the largest store (in Cabarete, where we were staying)....the only thing found was jarred fruit!!!!! No veggies, no meat!!!

So, after a week of my son eating only ripe and jarred fruit....I wish that DV8 and Hillbilly could have been with me on the second leg of my airline ride home, when I came out of the bathroom with a boy in a diaper and nothing else, since he had sh!t through 3 outfits and everyone in line for the airplane looking at me like I was a horrible father!!

Don't jump all over Jessie.Currie, because everything and everywhere in the DR is not the same!

Jessie.Currie, where are you headed. This may help with some info for you.

I would not wish that trip that I had with my son on anyone. Because I would not wish what he went through on any infant.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I thought the exact same thing on our second trip, when my son was 8 month's old......

"jesus christo! DR is not south pole, you know." (well not exactly jesus christo, but you get my point)

But after just packing 2 day's food for my son, and going to the largest store (in Cabarete, where we were staying)....the only thing found was jarred fruit!!!!! No veggies, no meat!!!

So, after a week of my son eating only ripe and jarred fruit....I wish that DV8 and Hillbilly could have been with me on the second leg of my airline ride home, when I came out of the bathroom with a boy in a diaper and nothing else, since he had sh!t through 3 outfits and everyone in line for the airplane looking at me like I was a horrible father!!

Don't jump all over Jessie.Currie, because everything and everywhere in the DR is not the same!

I would not wish that trip that I had with my son on anyone. Because I would not wish what he went through on any infant.

You where in Cabarete, not in one of the main cities, hell you didn't even went to PP aside of getting to the airport??? Don't plan on going to a campito and find a walmart type store there, we have everything anybody could need, but they ain't in the campos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
trig is right and i did clearly write: no pulped veggies. dominicans either make vegetable goo themselves or feed the kid real stuff: after all if one can eat mashed carrot and chicken from a jar one can also eat carrot and chicken mashed on a plate with the aid of a fork...

redheadkatie

May 2, 2009
well I've seen jars of string beans, chicken, beef, chicken and vegetables, and peas. I guess it depends where you're shopping.

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
You where in Cabarete, not in one of the main cities, hell you didn't even went to PP aside of getting to the airport??? Don't plan on going to a campito and find a walmart type store there, we have everything anybody could need, but they ain't in the campos.

Thank you for making EXACTLY my point!!! It was my second trip. First one being to Puerto Plata, where I thought I had seen what I was looking for, but not sure.

For my second trip, I was supposed to know it was the "campito"? I knew I woulnd't find a "walmart style store". But, even MY local carryout sells jarred meat babyfood.

The OP joined in October and has made four post's. Stop jumping on the OP and remember it's best to ask, than regret it when it's too late like I did!!! There's two way's to learn, live it and hope for the best....or ask and learn from those that lived it and learned from the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, noone but myself asked where the OP was going before jumping to conclusions that the OP was going to a "major city". We all know not to assume, but many here did.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Trig is right, I should have mentioned that I've been shopping in Santo Domingo only for 34 years, never food shopped out east or up north.......of course there would be differences in the more out-of-the-way places. In the capital the big supermarkets are comparable to those in the US. Ditto the La Sirena in San Cristobal where I shop for our house in the campo/Najayo. I'm sure the same is true in Santiago.

When my kids were infants I bought a little food mill and they used to eat pretty much what we ate, just ran it through the mill. When our grandson was born I bought one again - fresh veggies and chicken run through it easily and nothing is better for an 8th month old than fresh foods. If you're not going to be in a main city of DR, might be a thought to bring one of those along to supplement the jarred foods. They're small enough to bring out to a restaurant too.

AE

Thread: Baby Products in DR??

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i buy veggie "compotas" and meat, too, cabrera AND nagua... and even from a little colmado.

and there are way more than two brands of diapers available in the DR.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
All that stuff is readily available in POP. There are several supermarkets and theres La Sirena. You cant find much of anything in Cabarete, IMO, but as trig noted, you cant just instinctively know to drive 25 minutes into POP city.

Wheres the OP staying?

Trig is correct in that the OP shouldnt be jumped on for asking. We arent born knowing. We have to learn and thats a great question to ask before embarking on a trip with a baby to an unknown place.

Maybe if the OP says where she or he will be, we can point her in the direction of where they can find what they need.

As someone w a small child, I always travel with a small manual food grinder and a ridiculous amount of diapers just in case I cant find what I need. You can always find real veggies and do it yourself if its not available in prepared form.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Defo depends where you are. In the Plaza they sell everything and pretty cheap, even the Calmados have things you wouldn?t expect. I look at these trips to the bigger stores and such likes as our little American holidays as sadly or funnily we keep coming across little pockets of America, and for an hour or 2 it is easy to forget where you are so don?t worry.
If you get to the biger stores you will find everything you need without drama.

miozio

May 23, 2009
You'll be fine with dipers, the problem is the choice of meat food: chicken and vegetables, beef and vegetables - thats all they have! Found fish in Santo Domingo. My wife is upset with such a small choice. No monocomponent vegitable food at all. But instead of buying canned food she learned how to cook for the baby using fresh products! :bunny:

Last edited:

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
In Santo Domingo???

Where are you looking, like I said, all this stuff is in the big supermarkets, baby products, food and anything else you could want, meat & Veg etc. If you are looking for a swing etc then maybe you would have to search harder.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In Santo Domingo???

Where are you looking, like I said, all this stuff is in the big supermarkets, baby products, food and anything else you could want, meat & Veg etc. If you are looking for a swing etc then maybe you would have to search harder.

nope La Sirena has the swings, and car seats. and the food area has the baby food.

Or just use the blender on liquefy and puree the stuff off the dinner table. Thats what we did in the US for my first 2 looooog time ago.