This is my last post-censorship came-Golo

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
This is my last post. I knew this post was not going to last long. We had a prior warning from our censors. I found out what I really suspected. We are in a new Dominican Republic, dominated by Islamic type censorship, where anyone who dares speak against the most corrupted government in Latin America, perhaps the world, is simply ducktaped. Here is a widely read post with an interesting subject and legitimate questions. Here is a post that helps educate our foreign friends about the shennanigans going on in this country.
Perhaps we just want people to post about our beautiful flowers, fauna and natural beauties. Post pictures of funny things like the same motorcycles carrying all kinds of weird stuff. "muy gracioso". We want to hide the ugly side. So that more foreigners keep coming to join this failed nation and make it worst. We post daily scores of the Dominican baseball league as if we were talking about the Majors.
That is why Fidel and Raul Castro want to shut down Generation Y, the brave Cuban forum, my favorite and the real free forum of the world. Because it speaks the truth about the criminal dictatorship in Cuba so heavily defended by some many ignorant Dominicans.
To Dominican posters and flagwavers of this banana republic, let me say I am more Dominican than most of you. I was born and educated here and abroad. I have lived continuously here since 1993 and spent my first 15 years of life in DR before migranting to the greatest nation on earth. I will not apologize for defending the United States of America. Every nation in this world sucks up to the great nation. They all owe to America. I know of no nationality in the world who has no tried to live the American dream. Everyone in the world wants a US passport or visa. Those who deny it are liars or too proud to admit it. This is why it is a punishment to cancel a US visa. Is it a punishment to cancel a visa for any other nation?
Dominican Republic has become a cesspool of corrupted politicians now at the mercy of drug lords and cartels. The PLD party is the most corrupted political machine this country has ever had. And it has turned this nation into an in-governable land. Our military and police are only third to Mexico's and Venezuela's military in corruption and crime.
I am tired of the excuse that there is corruption all over the world. Only that we do not deserve to be among the worst, specially hiding behind this aura of democracy. Corruption is often heavily punished in the great nations of this world. Corruption is rewarded in DR. That is the difference.
Censorship in DR is now commonplace. Leonel Fernandez has a long history of closing down programs in government TV and radio stations as well as forcing private stations to close programs that oppose him and his corrupted administration. Leonel has become the Chavez of the Caribbean. But Leonel is smarter or less candid. He hides behind this peaceful attitude and moderate behavior that fools almost half of the Dominican people. He doesn't fool me. While I detested Hipolito Mejia for his boorish behavior, at least he was upfront. And Mejia could account for some of his fortune. You see Hipolito worked for a living before he was president and politician. Leonel Fernandez hasn't worked a day in his life. Him and his wife are two window shoppers spending our tax money in vacation tours hidden as government business and bringing an entourage of "lambones" to all his "all inclusive package" vacations.
I am sorry if I offended a few here. But I simply cannot accept censorship as a way of life.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If your posts had been deleted, then you could cry "Censorship" but they haven't.

All that has happened is that a particular thread was closed as it was starting to go south. Your words and opinions are still there :)

If you think DR1 has any bias towards Leonel or Chevez, you are clearly mistaken. Just look at some of our news coverage and threads in this forum.

Keep posting, I know many of our readers really enjoy reading your insights, me included!

May 12, 2005
Golo, look, Like Robert said, I closed that thread because you know where these types of things tend to drift. Personally I agree Leonel cozying up to Chavez is no good. Your posts are still there for everyone to read.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
This is my last post. I knew this post was not going to last long. We had a prior warning from our censors. I found out what I really suspected. We are in a new Dominican Republic, dominated by Islamic type censorship, where anyone who dares speak against the most corrupted government in Latin America, perhaps the world, is simply ducktaped. Here is a widely read post with an interesting subject and legitimate questions. Here is a post that helps educate our foreign friends about the shennanigans going on in this country.
Perhaps we just want people to post about our beautiful flowers, fauna and natural beauties. Post pictures of funny things like the same motorcycles carrying all kinds of weird stuff. "muy gracioso". We want to hide the ugly side. So that more foreigners keep coming to join this failed nation and make it worst. We post daily scores of the Dominican baseball league as if we were talking about the Majors.
That is why Fidel and Raul Castro want to shut down Generation Y, the brave Cuban forum, my favorite and the real free forum of the world. Because it speaks the truth about the criminal dictatorship in Cuba so heavily defended by some many ignorant Dominicans.
To Dominican posters and flagwavers of this banana republic, let me say I am more Dominican than most of you. I was born and educated here and abroad. I have lived continuously here since 1993 and spent my first 15 years of life in DR before migranting to the greatest nation on earth. I will not apologize for defending the United States of America. Every nation in this world sucks up to the great nation. They all owe to America. I know of no nationality in the world who has no tried to live the American dream. Everyone in the world wants a US passport or visa. Those who deny it are liars or too proud to admit it. This is why it is a punishment to cancel a US visa. Is it a punishment to cancel a visa for any other nation?
Dominican Republic has become a cesspool of corrupted politicians now at the mercy of drug lords and cartels. The PLD party is the most corrupted political machine this country has ever had. And it has turned this nation into an in-governable land. Our military and police are only third to Mexico's and Venezuela's military in corruption and crime.
I am tired of the excuse that there is corruption all over the world. Only that we do not deserve to be among the worst, specially hiding behind this aura of democracy. Corruption is often heavily punished in the great nations of this world. Corruption is rewarded in DR. That is the difference.
Censorship in DR is now commonplace. Leonel Fernandez has a long history of closing down programs in government TV and radio stations as well as forcing private stations to close programs that oppose him and his corrupted administration. Leonel has become the Chavez of the Caribbean. But Leonel is smarter or less candid. He hides behind this peaceful attitude and moderate behavior that fools almost half of the Dominican people. He doesn't fool me. While I detested Hipolito Mejia for his boorish behavior, at least he was upfront. And Mejia could account for some of his fortune. You see Hipolito worked for a living before he was president and politician. Leonel Fernandez hasn't worked a day in his life. Him and his wife are two window shoppers spending our tax money in vacation tours hidden as government business and bringing an entourage of "lambones" to all his "all inclusive package" vacations.
I am sorry if I offended a few here. But I simply cannot accept censorship as a way of life.

I like you dude.Your post was way too long because I m a contemptuous American with a short attention span, but I love a dude with fire in his eye.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, who else can I discuss major muscle cars with??? Come on, that was not censoship, that was to avoid really stupid posts from continuing.

Yur bud,

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Third worst? Really?

Our military and police are only third to Mexico's and Venezuela's military in corruption and crime.

There are many in Sub-Saharan Africa or West Asia or the Balkans who would love to have that discussion with you. The D.R. doesn't even come close to the level of corruption found in those regions of the World, what with ethnic cleansing, religion based murders and all sorts of general thuggery going on as commonplace at all levels of society and government....and have you been to Jamaica lately?

In the wake of the cold war, post slavery and post colonialism and feudalism and all the schisms and isms devised to make the World Powers so powerful there have been many, many masses of people who have been forced to suffer as fledgling attempts at self rule have faltered. This is not just particular to any of these regions.

No matter what country you go to somebody is mad as Hell and ready to fight about something that they perceive as an injustice. It's Human nature. In each nation the good and bad need to be objectively defined, discussed and worked on by its citizens.... Together. The Dominican Republic is no different.

Mar 2, 2008
I'm not sure I understand the Steinbeck reference, but I don't believe anything is gained from quitting the game.

The only way to go is to become involved in the process, and hopefully have some positive effect.

Please do not abdicate to a system you know in your heart is going in the wrong direction, You owe it to yourself and others to keep on fighting the good fight.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
golo is like a high maintenance hot girl. well worth having around, but gets insecure from time to time and needs extra attention.

he'll be back, and we'll be very happy about it.

Sep 22, 2009
I'm not sure I understand the Steinbeck reference, but I don't believe anything is gained from quitting the game.

The only way to go is to become involved in the process, and hopefully have some positive effect.

Please do not abdicate to a system you know in your heart is going in the wrong direction, You owe it to yourself and others to keep on fighting the good fight.

That's ok Catcher, join the ranks of 50% of my clients that don't understand me. Like how bout those good folk up in Copenhagen? A cause is a cause is a cause. However, some people have jobs.

(n.b. the jobs comment was general and not geared toward any one individual).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is my last post.

Come on Golo your last post, that remains to be seen. Last time I checked Yoani S?nchez's forum is still up and running, but my suggestion to you is that you can start a similar forum directed at Dominicans and not tourist or expats, who frankly by and large don't give a hoot about Dominican politics.

Generaci?n Y

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

I think he meant either Orwell, or Aldus Huxley....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
. Everyone in the world wants a US passport or visa. Those who deny it are liars or too proud to admit it. .

Yes Golo as Robert mentioned your posts at times are very interesting-however this ridiculous statement above, I think need be a little more descript.i.e. Every 3rd world nation wants a USA passport.
I dont think you will see a lineup of Canadians with these same dreams. Personally i would trade my Canadian for USA even if it included a lump sum payment.