Large screen tv?..from puerto rico by ferry

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just purchased a large screen tv from Plaza Lama and I was also just informed that if I go to Puerto Rico by ferry from Santo Domingo, I could have brought say a 52 in lcd with very little shipping charges and with very little hastle from customs. If anyone has done this and had favorable or non-favorable results, could you please post your experience. It sounds like it would be a good route to take. It is peak season on the ferry now but according to their website, you can make the round trip from Santo Domingo starting in the middle of January for about $250 bucks. I am thinking about another tv for the house and this also sounds like it could be fun. Besides the tv, you can come back with 3 suitcases full from a shopping spree.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
This is not an answer to your question. Just a comment...I hear no matter how stuff gets into the country customs is brutal with fees. Not sure how this would be different then let's say me shipping a TV from NYC.

I too look forward to seeing responses from people who have done this.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This is not an answer to your question. Just a comment...I hear no matter how stuff gets into the country customs is brutal with fees. Not sure how this would be different then let's say me shipping a TV from NYC.

I too look forward to seeing responses from people who have done this.

I think the biggest benefit is that the tv would be pretty much in your custody.
My dentists friends in the capital have done this and they said customs went easy on them. But I have learned to get more than one opinion on procedures here. One topic, 10 people, 10 different answers. The more you get, the easier it is to make a decision. I hope.....

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Spoke this week with a local semi-influential sort of guy who had to pay normal taxes on his flat screen, purchased in PR and brought over on the ferry. He was satisfied with what he got.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Mayaguez or SJ

I just purchased a large screen tv from Plaza Lama and I was also just informed that if I go to Puerto Rico by ferry from Santo Domingo, I could have brought say a 52 in lcd with very little shipping charges and with very little hastle from customs. If anyone has done this and had favorable or non-favorable results, could you please post your experience. It sounds like it would be a good route to take. It is peak season on the ferry now but according to their website, you can make the round trip from Santo Domingo starting in the middle of January for about $250 bucks. I am thinking about another tv for the house and this also sounds like it could be fun. Besides the tv, you can come back with 3 suitcases full from a shopping spree.

Just awaiting more data on this one.. the Ferry used to go to Mayaguez but now, I hear it goes into San Juan.. which would make a difference for me.. since Mayaguez is cool and laid back and has a GREAT mall and is right near some sweet towns for vacations... whereas San Juan..... well... is San Juan.

The mall at Mayaguez has a Pier ONE be still my heart!!!!

and a SEARS
flutter flutter

but all last year when I was checking, I never saw the fare drop below 300 one way...

so miami was actually cheaper for me to get to!!

go figure

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
christmas specials

here are the rates that I am used to seeing

http://www.ferriesdelcaribe.com/15.pdf

but it looks like the christmas specials are a good deal

Ferries del Caribe Inc. D/B/A Cruceros del Caribe

i did hear from a friend who took it that you can get just a seat and stay up all night.....

but as i understand it is a 12 hour trip and the Mona Passage can be a nasty piece of water...

i would be fine staying awake in the day time

but if i have to stay up all night

i become a very cranky camper

nevertheless. with those of us with visas.... it sounds like a cool trip

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A friend of mine just booked a r/t ticket on the ferry for $190 through a travel agent, after being quoted $250 on the website reservation engine...I think it's for next week.

BTW, American has $49 o/w fares from SDQ to SJU...comes to $215 with taxes and fees...I believe its for January 19 through mid - March...checked a few dates, plenty of seats available.