recommendations for a day out in santo domingo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will spend one day in SD with my polish friends. we only have few hours together so i need to know few things:
can anyone recommend a good taxi company in SD; phone number?
what price will taxi charge for a trip from zona colonial to estacion autobuses metro, zona colonial to malecon, malecon to metro?
is there nice, non expensive place to eat dominican food close to metro, on the malecon or in zona colonial?
is there still la cuchara de madera close to plaza acropolis?
thank you for suggestions :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
i will spend one day in SD with my polish friends. we only have few hours together so i need to know few things:
can anyone recommend a good taxi company in SD; phone number?
what price will taxi charge for a trip from zona colonial to estacion autobuses metro, zona colonial to malecon, malecon to metro?
is there nice, non expensive place to eat dominican food close to metro, on the malecon or in zona colonial?
is there still la cuchara de madera close to plaza acropolis?
thank you for suggestions :)

Taxis: I use APOLLO. You can call them and they will send out for you... usually takes about 3 to 5 minutes. Try to locate close landmarks when telling them where you are. They average ride is arrond 130 to 150 Pesos to go across town. PH: 809-537-0000. Typical call:
You: Hola! "Mandeme una unidad por [address] porfavor."
He: you will hear him call out cabs which are close in the back ground and then come back to you and say; "unidad xyz, 3 minutos, rojo*"
* the color of the vehicle he'll send out.

If you have an unusual trip you suspect to be more than usual, you can ask the operator: "de me la TARIFA porfavor para ir a [address]".
You can also do that with the driver when getting in BEFORE he starts:
"hagame el favor y pide la tarifa para ir a [address], profavor". "pide" stands for "call in the"... so he would have to call central... usually they will tell you "150". If it's more, ask him again to call it in.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks JD :)
i have noticed that my spanish suddenly improves when miesposo is not around to translate :) so i hope to comminicate ok.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are many good places fr Dominican food in the areas you mentioned, a few of my favorites:

ZC: Meson d'Bari on Calle Hostos, about 2 blocks up from the Conde - excellent and somewhat "upscale" Dominican Food...not cheap but reasonable, one of the most popular restaurants with locals and tourists...for years. On the same street but a block closer to the Conde is another place, can't remember the name, but it's directly across the street from the lobby entrance to the Hotel Mercur...you can't miss it...good food, very reasonable prices...both places are very close to Parque Colon, the Famous Cathedral, and the more historic/touristy part of the ZC.

On the Malecon, there are several Dominican grill restaurants right on the water...close to the ZC...but the most impressive place is Adrian Tropical...directly on the water, closer to the Hilton/Malecon Center. Very good and reasonable Dominican Food with one of the best settings in the city...there are 3 or 4 levels...all with water views. They give everyone a sample of Sancocho, a famous Dominican stew, when the waiter takes your order...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you everyone - i had a great day in SD despite the rain :)
adrian tropical indeed has fantastic views and we dovoured one of their navidad specials.
shame we did not make it to la cuchara de madera thou :(