A typical Dominican Christmas Dinner

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just wondering.. what is a typical Dominican Christmass Dinner? And if anybody dares to say a Butterball Turkey, I will pound my head against the wall...

Although they are delicious, and had one on thanksgiving, one is plenty for a year... and having traveled the world the Dr is "the" place I have seen the most butterball turkeys, outside of the US... they are practically throwing them at you....

So, what is the traditional food here for christmass?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
*Roasted Pork in a stick\Puerco Asa'o en puya.
*Baked Chicken\Pollo Horneado
*Russian Salad\Ensalada Rusa
*Arroz y Guandules con Coco\Rice and greenpeas with coconut
*Pasteles en Hoja\Don't know how to say it in English
*Long bread\Telera
*Ponche Crema de Oro
*Vino Moscatel Caballo Blanco
*Apples, Grapes, almonds, nuts, gum candies, marshmallows.
*Cima Sabor Navide?o playing in the background (100.5 FM)

A shame I won't be able to pass this Christmas in my country:(

Have fun!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you could sum it up:
for poor - chicken
for richer: chicken and pork :)
ensalada rusa: potatoes, eggs, carrot (all boiled), onion (in a campo i saw onion cut and some vinegar poured over it, added to the mix with vinegar) and mayo
pasteles an hoja: masa made of platanos/bananas/yuka with shredded chicken inside (and always darn raisins!), wrapped in banana leaves and boiled

Reactions: Bronxboy
Nov 25, 2008
the most important item is left out, all of the above the Dominicans can do without, but...
Brugal, Barcelo, Presidente they cant
this is the Dominican style Black Friday as far as consumption goes, but in liquor

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wouldn't a typical Dominican have the family feast on Christmas Eve?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
you could sum it up:
for poor - chicken
for richer: chicken and pork :)
ensalada rusa: potatoes, eggs, carrot (all boiled), onion (in a campo i saw onion cut and some vinegar poured over it, added to the mix with vinegar) and mayo
pasteles an hoja: masa made of platanos/bananas/yuka with shredded chicken inside (and always darn raisins!), wrapped in banana leaves and boiled
Gee, I guess I was served "richer family food"....it was good too!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I guess its me !

christmas_pig_sticker-p217728821171289256qjcl_400.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Barbecued Pork, potato salad...etc. Grapes and apples for a treat. There will be a guy in front of Doulos school with a whole pig, there with be several on the left going down the hill just before you cross the bridge coming in to Jarabacoa. There are other places to buy it, but those two I mentioned do a good job with pork.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You're right CB, at least in my husband's family. Everything is La Noche Buena. Christmas Day is an also-ran.

I always host Christmas Eve at my home with roast pernil and all the Dominican accompaniments. Christmas Day we become Americans [with a decidedly Italian influence]

I'll be in SD for New Year's Eve, they're roasting a pig for the family party [Elizabeth, are you coming? There will be lots of good food :squareeye]

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think that raisins in pastelitos make all the difference!!!! Along with chopped hard boiled eggs. Yum. On the Christmas Eve menu. I've been blessed with having a suegra who is an absolutely amazing cook [she turned 89 this week, still going strong]

About the pernil - I think that's a Puerto Rican word for a fresh ham.

AE

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

That's correct, everybody would dress up to eat the night of the 24th, and the leftovers (which tastes even better yet) are eaten in the aftermath of the 25th.

Sep 22, 2009
I think that raisins in pastelitos make all the difference!!!! Along with chopped hard boiled eggs. Yum. On the Christmas Eve menu. I've been blessed with having a suegra who is an absolutely amazing cook [she turned 89 this week, still going strong]

About the pernil - I think that's a Puerto Rican word for a fresh ham.

AE

Pasteles. Un pastelito is like an empanada, only cuter and smaller, generally round.
Oops, I see you actually were meaning to say pastelitos. My bad.

But agree that cooking the mother-in-law is a novel idea.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My father-in-law does an amazing job of pasteles though. Yuca with gouda filling. It's so amazing. I bet they would convert you!

I thought pasteles were wrapped in banana leaves and had mashed plantano & meat inside?? Are you talking about the yuca balls with cheese inside? Bollitos de yuca? or potato balls with meat or cheese inside? Those are both yummy!