'Tis the season....now I know...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When I was a kid fron the hills of West Virginia, and we moved to Long Island, I was not well understood by most people and I could not understand them either.

If you listen to this nice Christmas video/slide show from the New York Times, I think you will understand why....

However, let me say that I opened this up because I was sure that it dealt with some of the Dominicans living in Queens, Long Island, who were carrying over some of the street decorations that we do here, like in Santiago..

click here: Christmas on the Block - The New York Times

Merry Christmas...

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
very nice there seemed to be someone missing from the party though.......maybe it was a surprise party for Jesus lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Christmas in India

christmas-in-india-2007.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When I was a kid fron the hills of West Virginia, and we moved to Long Island, I was not well understood by most people and I could not understand them either.

If you listen to this nice Christmas video/slide show from the New York Times, I think you will understand why...
HB

They all sounded perfectly normal to me HB!:cheeky: Maspeth was always an Italian enclave, even when I was a kid. The Dominicans are mostly on the other side of Queens Blvd - Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Corona.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To anyone not from "Longue Ailand"--hard 'g' on LonG...

that accent you can cut with a knife....

It is almost out of the TV series...Tony and his "family""???

Yeah, Pauly, I got de guy....

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL Hillbilly - since you've heard my voice you know that's exactly how I speak. You can take the girl out of NYC/LI, but ............

Living in southern NJ for 30 years has softened the NY accent, my brother always tells me that I don't sound the same. Of course, people here in South Jersey all declare that I have this terrible accent.... they all sound like they're from Philly to me. Even the words are different - they don't have garbage here, they only have trash. Kids don't take pails and shovels to the beach, they take buckets. The don't "ask" questions, the "axe" them. etc., etc.

Similar to the difference in Dominican and Puerto Rican Spanish. I hear they don't have concon in PR :squareeye

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Puerto Ricans called it pegao.

...so that's what they're singing about here, burnt rice?:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieqJYlJ8ihY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieqJYlJ8ihY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Puerto Ricans called it pegao.

I know, my husband tells the story of the first time he went to PR, back in the 60s when he was a teenager, and the lady where he was staying asked him if he wanted some pegao. He told them he didn't know what that was - and they showed him. He said "Concon!" and they said "Pegao!" For the rest of the trip he called her Pegao and she called him Concon.

Some Dominicans also call it 'rapa'. Confused me the first time I heard that.

When my kids were small my son made friends with a neighbor boy near our house at Najayo Beach - his nickname was Concon, [guess he liked it alot?]. He's now about 30, and I still call him that because I have no clue what his real name is :ermm: He's a mountain of a man now.

AE

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I know, my husband tells the story of the first time he went to PR, back in the 60s when he was a teenager, and the lady where he was staying asked him if he wanted some pegao. He told them he didn't know what that was - and they showed him. He said "Concon!" and they said "Pegao!" For the rest of the trip he called her Pegao and she called him Concon.

Some Dominicans also call it 'rapa'. Confused me the first time I heard that.

When my kids were small my son made friends with a neighbor boy near our house at Najayo Beach - his nickname was Concon, [guess he liked it alot?]. He's now about 30, and I still call him that because I have no clue what his real name is :ermm: He's a mountain of a man now.

AE

Cubans call it "Raspa". A few Dominicans also call it "Rajpa". Be careful not to put the accent in the last a as it will change the meaning entirely between Dominicans.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Y que significa eso with the last 'a' accented?
Just curious. (And if it's allowed here. :) )
In brasil they toss it out, but don't burn it so
much in the first place........
love the concon and pegao story....the name thing.
thx for the insight.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The lack or just the aspirated "s" = rapadura -> that sweet that comes wrapped in yagua.
Should really be raspadura (what the Cubans call conc?n)///
Now the argot has "rapar" to mean sexual intercourse: Vamo'a rapai in crude Cibae?o speech. "Rapa m? que un guayo" -> refers to a loose woman. You get the idea.

Now, "d?me un ch?n de rapa" means a bit of conc?n/pegao/raspadura....

(I can understand why the kid became a mountain: That stuff is delicious but really full of oil...like oily Rice Krispies!!!)

End of lesson. You will be tested...

HB