Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Tis the season....now I know...

When I was a kid fron the hills of West Virginia, and we moved to Long Island, I was not well understood by most people and I could not understand them either.

If you listen to this nice Christmas video/slide show from the New York Times, I think you will understand why....

However, let me say that I opened this up because I was sure that it dealt with some of the Dominicans living in Queens, Long Island, who were carrying over some of the street decorations that we do here, like in Santiago..

click here: Christmas on the Block - The New York Times

Merry Christmas...

HB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

very nice there seemed to be someone missing from the party though.......maybe it was a surprise party for Jesus lol

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Christmas in India

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Christmas

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    When I was a kid fron the hills of West Virginia, and we moved to Long Island, I was not well understood by most people and I could not understand them either.

If you listen to this nice Christmas video/slide show from the New York Times, I think you will understand why...
    HB
    They all sounded perfectly normal to me HB! Maspeth was always an Italian enclave, even when I was a kid. The Dominicans are mostly on the other side of Queens Blvd - Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Corona.

AE

Post Thanks / Like

To anyone not from "Longue Ailand"--hard 'g' on LonG...

that accent you can cut with a knife....

It is almost out of the TV series...Tony and his "family""???

Yeah, Pauly, I got de guy....

HB

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Hillbilly - since you've heard my voice you know that's exactly how I speak. You can take the girl out of NYC/LI, but ............

Living in southern NJ for 30 years has softened the NY accent, my brother always tells me that I don't sound the same. Of course, people here in South Jersey all declare that I have this terrible accent.... they all sound like they're from Philly to me. Even the words are different - they don't have garbage here, they only have trash. Kids don't take pails and shovels to the beach, they take buckets. The don't "ask" questions, the "axe" them. etc., etc.

Similar to the difference in Dominican and Puerto Rican Spanish. I hear they don't have concon in PR

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Puerto Ricans called it pegao.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Puerto Ricans called it pegao.
    ...so that's what they're singing about here, burnt rice?:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieqJYlJ8ihY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieqJYlJ8ihY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast