Sos?a - eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
has anyone been to Simply Red , I beleive its on Pedro clisante...Just wondering if there is a review on it yet

I like to know prices before I venture in - it says french cuisine, which usually means expensive

...and is the scotch and sirloin open yet or whatever its called between rockies and casa valeria in the terra linda complex

Mar 2, 2008
Scotch and Sirloin is not yet open, but it probably will have a "soft" opening soon, maybe before the end of the month, according to an inside source.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
also Donovans Reef grill will be opening soon in the old rose and thistle area- it opens for a charity event on boxing day

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it seems simply red is in the old canoa restaurant, not pedro clisante, as per their advert in the sosua news lol...oh well

I wonder if mickie Hucknell will be serving papas fritas

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
has anyone been to Simply Red , I beleive its on Pedro clisante...Just wondering if there is a review on it yet

I like to know prices before I venture in - it says french cuisine, which usually means expensive

...and is the scotch and sirloin open yet or whatever its called between rockies and casa valeria in the terra linda complex

My friend Gilles and his novia went to the Simply Red (old Canoa) restaurant last night. He said "it was simply Delicious with an extraordinary presentation"

They had 4 beers, 1 glass of a good house wine, one fillet of Mero and one fillet of Beef all for only 1050 pesos...

Seems to be one place to try out...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thumbs up from me also

My friend Gilles and his novia went to the Simply Red (old Canoa) restaurant last night. He said "it was simply Delicious with an extraordinary presentation"

They had 4 beers, 1 glass of a good house wine, one fillet of Mero and one fillet of Beef all for only 1050 pesos...

Seems to be one place to try out...

Had a couple of meals there. Quality/price = Good

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Stopped by Scotch and Sirloin this morning. They hope to open in a couple of weeks. I did look at the menu. VERY extensive and VERY expensive. For a good (I am assuming it is good) steak be prepared to pay New York pirces and then some.

We will see how they do with those prices.

BObK

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Had a couple of meals there. Quality/price = Good

Myself and Badpiece had dinner there last night. I heartily agree with Eddy as to the quality of the food and the price. Very good, not large portions like you see in some of the German restaurants, but a better quality of food.

The owner is from Belgium and he supervises everything. They even gave us a sample of a special Belgium dish for free which was great.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Was at Simply Red for the first time the other day. The food was excelent, the whole group enjoyed everything from the starters to the dessert. The only negative thing was the 26% added to the bill. With just the menu prices it would be reasonable, with the 26% added, I think it's a bit on the expensive side. I will go there again though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Was at Simply Red for the first time the other day. The food was excelent, the whole group enjoyed everything from the starters to the dessert. The only negative thing was the 26% added to the bill. With just the menu prices it would be reasonable, with the 26% added, I think it's a bit on the expensive side. I will go there again though.

If they know you are a local they will not add anything to the bill.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Sorry. I don't mean to hijack this thread into a tax discussion for dummies ( or tourists such as myself) :) .
We noticed this 26% tax while in Boca Chica over Xmas.
I do not recall such a steep tax from previous visits.
The tax seems to be split into 2 categories.
10% for what looked to be an automatic gratuity but this is a guess on my part and 16% ITBIS which I assume is some form of value added tax.
Is the 10% in fact an automatic gratuity? We stopped tipping at some point as the 26% tax is a killer + we thought we may be double tipping.
We are coming back to Sosua in April so I better (a)figure out what exactly this tax is and (b) get a lesson from SKY on how to look local and avoid this 26%.
Like I said earlier, stupid tourists :)

mrcancun

Jan 4, 2010
At one restaurant I was charge 26% and I asked the waiter about the bill and he said that wasn't the tip :) If they charge 26% can I just walk away without tipping?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Rumble and mrcancun: The 26% tax, when added, is composed of two parts, neither of which goes directly to the server. 16% is ITBIS, is basically sales tax, and 10% is "legal service". It is supposed to be used as a tip and in some cases the waiters, busboys, bartenders, etc. receive all or a portion of it, but not always.

You can add a tip or not, it's been discussed in dozens of threads here on DR1...most people add around 10% if they feel they received good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.