Are short wave radios available in the d.r.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I used to have a short wave radio as a kid back in Chicago many years ago.
Are new one's available here and if so, what are the requirements here to operate? There are probably a few here on this forum that still like to dabble with one. Any info would be most welcome.

Sep 22, 2009
I used to have a short wave radio as a kid back in Chicago many years ago.
Are new one's available here and if so, what are the requirements here to operate? There are probably a few here on this forum that still like to dabble with one. Any info would be most welcome.

I think they were replaced with the "breep breeps" thanks to the good folks at Nextel and Motorola :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ham Radio

With 52 years as a Ham Radio operator, can just say that they have just lost interest as the Internet and Cell phones have all but replaced them.

I have a 440 mhz one here, brought it with me in my luggage years ago.
Used it mainly on the FRS frequencies, but even that gave way to the Cell Phones.

Was at the AES store in Orlando in November, had the entire parking lot to myself.

The Ham Conventions have turned mainly into "Computer Shows".
Gave up on the Miami show years ago.

Maybe in the capital you might find something.

Don

Sep 22, 2009
isnt twitter the new citizens band radio

That's right. I just find it intolerable, however. Knowing when a "follower" is going to hit the head is just TMI. All the useless chit-chat that I used to hear folks blabbing about on the train, bus, etc. talking on their cells to their significant others: "hey honey, I'm on the train... what's that? pick up some milk? ok"... now on Twitter.