Where to buy winter wear in SD (or NYC)?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
My sister, her husband and 8-month-old daughter are planning to go to NYC in mid Jan 2010. This is their first trip abroad as a family (and the first trip abroad at all for my sister) and they asked me about where to buy winter wear in SD or in NYC.

I haven't lived there in a while and I honestly don't know if they can find any jackets/coats, gloves, scarves and hats that will do for the first 1-2 days while they go shopping for proper winter clothes in the big apple.

They like expensive looking items that won't create a hole in their pockets.

I have plenty of winter wear they could use, but shipping them from Sweden with Fedex or similar costs me a lot of money and I'm not sure if they wanna pick up that tab.

Can anybody recommend any places in SD (and maybe NYC) for them?

TIA and happy holidays from snowy Sweden.

Nov 25, 2008
do what everybody does, have your NY family bring winter coats to the airport, its not worth buying for a couple of weeks.
where will they use parka coats in SD after their return??

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i just made a Dominican friend of mine buy silk long underwear at Sierra Trading Post.... had it shipped to his address in Miami

after many years I learned that silk keeps your very very warm so that you can face most things

but there really are very few real winter things here... up in the mountains, I have seen parkas but they buy them at the Haitian markets on the border.

Reactions: mariel

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks for your answers.

We must be the only Dominican family that doesn't have relatives in the US. We have a relative in Ottawa and I think he's already in SD. Then there's me living in Europe.

Ah well, I tried.

Mountainannie: thanks for the tip on silk long underwear. I keep with cotton and wool mixes here but I like trying new things.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i remember i went to zara in january and they had kinda winterish clothing, winter collection, maybe?
have them check zara, mango, gap and other chains in SD, maybe they can find some scarfs and sweaters there.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Maybe they can put together a 3-layer combination similar to the parkas that are sold here. Base-layer could be a long-sleeve turtle neck jersey fine for the plane. Then add a fleece hooded zippered jacket/sweat shirt and then finally an outer shell that's really just a nylon wind breaker. With a hat. That how I get from the airport to home - adding layers. (Cars and taxis are all heated.) Then they can shop the clearance sales in New York if they need anything more (mits, gloves, hats, scarfs etc.)

Similar to this: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That does sound like a tough one. That is probably the worst week of the year to land in NYC with no winter clothing.

Just curious - are they visiting NYC or somewhere further out. And they are not being met by anyone - just coming and sightseeing? Newark or JFK?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Have a car service at Newark, JFK like Carmel(just a little more expensive than a cab) meet them out side to take them to their hotel. They can just spot their name and head to car. Buy coats online and send them ahead to the hotel so when they get there the coats will be waiting for them. Alternatively buy online and get a Vimenica Transexpress account and have coats sent there to Miami and forward to the DR. Costs $6 per first lb and then less per lb after. (check Transexpress for exact rates)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Heavy coats and whatnot can be found here in the DR. Many Dominicans travel and need items like this. In fact, a friend of mine here in Santiago bought very heavy coats for him and his wife for a recent trip to Europe. Yes they were expensive but I'm sure if they are available here in Santiago they will be too in SD.

The other option is to buy them on Amazon and have them shipped here via Vimenpaq or equivalent. You probably will pay about US25 to 50 all told for shipping per jacket.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The ZARA store in Acropolis sells the winter collection they run everywhere else in the world in SD as well.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you everyone, I'll have them check out LL Bean, Amazon, etc., as they have an account at Business Mail so they could easily have the items shipped (I found out about BM yesterday).

To you who asked the purpose of the trip: afaik they're not meeting anyone other than me, and they're planning to spend 5 days in NYC to sightsee (why they're doing it in the middle of winter is a mystery to me). The baby isn't going on this trip, and I think they're flying in and out of JFK while I'll be flying in and out of Newark.

I'll send them to Zara and the other stores as well, in case they wanna try the stuff on.

Happy holidays :)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
long shot

My sister, her husband and 8-month-old daughter are planning to go to NYC in mid Jan 2010. This is their first trip abroad as a family (and the first trip abroad at all for my sister) and they asked me about where to buy winter wear in SD or in NYC.

I haven't lived there in a while and I honestly don't know if they can find any jackets/coats, gloves, scarves and hats that will do for the first 1-2 days while they go shopping for proper winter clothes in the big apple.

They like expensive looking items that won't create a hole in their pockets.

I have plenty of winter wear they could use, but shipping them from Sweden with Fedex or similar costs me a lot of money and I'm not sure if they wanna pick up that tab.

Can anybody recommend any places in SD (and maybe NYC) for them?

TIA and happy holidays from snowy Sweden.

I took my novia to Buenos Aires in july and she also had no winter clothes. We found a store on el conde that had a very few winter coats. We got her a white ski jacket and then bought her some leather stuff once in BA.

I don't remember the name but it is on right hand side while walking in from parque independencia and always has manequins with sexy tops and dresses out front. LOL. . . .that narrows it down. It is a long and narrow store and we actually saw the winter coats from out on el conde. As I said very few but better than nothing.