A little advice please.. :)

stellas

Dec 18, 2009
Hello Everyone!

Me and my friend recently just got back from the DR ,I was just in DR in January and loved it so much I had to go again .. We stayed in punta cana at a resort, We had the time of our lives and met alot of great people tourists and locals included, The locals we met were really great to us I know it is there job at a resort to be nice and we are also well aware of sankies or whatever u call them, we are not clueless and know what most of their intentions are, but the constant compliments are nice! Not something that happens everyday in Canada..lol.. I have done alot of research on the DR and also have been reading alot of threads before joining; I am just fascinated by the country and the culture.. And it?s all I can think about!! :eek: I know its strange.....In March we are planning on returning for 10 days and would really like to get off the resort and experience what the dominican is really like away from the resort life just incase we want to move in the near future haha ( I WISH!! ).. I know you probably hear this question alot and there may be posts about this already but a little advice would be helpful like >>>> Would it be okay for 2 girls ( 29 and 25) to just grab a taxi and go into town for the day ? and if we did this where would we go? and what do you wear? (dumb question but we dont want to stick out 2 bad) Basically what can you do off the resort during the day? How can we meet some nice dominican people and have a presidente or 2 with some locals or eat some real dominican food ? Also should we go back to punta cana or is puerto plata a better place to experience this? Where would you goif you were us? Thanks in advance ANY advice would be great! :squareeye

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
right of the tip of my pointy head: I would suggest Puerto Plata.
The entire East is geared to tourists and tourism. There is not a freakin thing there but that and sugar cane.
If you want to get out and meet people, Puerto Plata with some careful planning would be a nicer experience. I mean, you can go to Sos?a and party and then on over to Cabarete and party and kite board, and then you can go down to Santiago and hang out at some of the clubs, ot to La Vega which is even more Dominican and where you will bask in some attention but not nasty.

This does require planning to make sure you go tothe right places of course...You can't really expect to go to a totally foreign country and "fit right in",,,,,

Good Luck.

HB

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I would either go to Puerto Plata or Cabarete. Puerto Plata is pretty cool and a nice place to "get the Dominican culture". Cabarete is great for younger folks such as yourselves and is a unique blend of Dominican and foreign cultures. Lots of party places in both locales.

Enjoy yourselves...this country is honestly one of the most magical I have ever lived in!

Reactions: mountainannie

stellas

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks for your help...I am going to start my planning ,i cant wait!! this board is really helpful, glad i found it :)