Internet Claro

Ico

Dec 21, 2009
I'm a internet user of Claro Codetel but the speed is really slow. I pay 50$ per month. Are there any limits of speed or traffic? And are there any other ISP's on the North Coast, which offer better connection and faster speed?

leon486

Dec 2, 2009
It'll be a good idea to check what speed you signed in for on your contract, also you should know that compared to other countries ADSL is really expensive here. I pay about those same $50 and get just 1mbps/256kbps.
However I would recommend just to check with Codetel and after you know what plan you have see if you can afford a faster one an switch. All the other companies don't have a service nearly as good as Codetel and I'm not saying that Codetel's service is that great to begin with.

May 8, 2009
Isn't it a shame a sham and a scam that $50 gets you such terrible internet service? Back in the states my parents pay $50 for their "bundle" which includes DSL, Cable TV and telephone service.

Feb 7, 2007
Isn't it a shame a sham and a scam that $50 gets you such terrible internet service? Back in the states my parents pay $50 for their "bundle" which includes DSL, Cable TV and telephone service.

Well, in my country, for 30 Euro (42 dollars) you get 60 mbps down / 6 mbps up, and for 40 euro you get 120 mbps down / 10 mbps up ... cable Internet which works flawlessly .... and that's in Central Europe...BUT ... we're not in Kansas anymore, we're ON THE ISLAND. just check what Internet costs in PR, it's about the same as in the DR ...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The speeds go up, the speeds go down and it's expensive.

It is what it is.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with the "banda ancha" from Claro or other providers?
It is the one that plugs in to your usb port and works off of cel signal.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Watch the small print on banda ancha kids...

3G until you hit the limits, then your bandwith falls like a rock...

Check it out, I can't remember specifics but its not practical to use at home is my point.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Watch the small print on banda ancha kids...

3G until you hit the limits, then your bandwith falls like a rock...

Check it out, I can't remember specifics but its not practical to use at home is my point.
It slows down to 128k max when you hit your bandwidth limit.

The highest bandwidth plan is 10gig, but there seems to be a different definition of what a gig is. Maybe 10g packets?

Reactions: Tamborista

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
don't worry about the 10 gig limit, worry about the rest

We have banda ancha and the 10 gig limit is not a problem as in reality it goes far over 40 gigs before you go down to 128K

The problem is there sustainment of service. Our banda ancha goes from 1.5 gb to 0 in a matter of a second, and this continuously... Sometimes great speeds, sometimes lousy...

The last 3 days it has rained here continuously and banda ancha was worthless...

To be honest... the past 3 nights I haven't gotten any sleep as I have been sneaking up the mountain to my nearest neighbour... pulling a cable to connect to his internet.... sssstttt.... Cobraboy doesn't know this as yet... don't tell him, will you.... lol