getting to samana

hpa

Dec 22, 2009
Hi all,

My husband and I are traveling to Samana from SD in January. What is the best way to get there? If we take El Caribe, where does it leave from in SD, what does it cost and how long does it take? Is this our best option or should we take a flight? From where? I'm having a hard time nailing this down...any suggestions would help.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
You must take a taxi for around $30 to the bus terminal. About 30 min. Then you have to take the 8 am bus or the 4 pm bus to Samana. Those buses use the new highway and get here in 2.5 hours. All other buses go the old route and take about 4-5 hours. You will pay $8 per ticket on Caribe Tours (El Caribe).

Flights run $100 each and you must transfer, in almost all cases I believe, to the other regional airport on the other side of SD which also would require a taxi with more or less the same details as above.

The airport here in Samana is outside of town so you would need another taxi to get to town. Probably $40-$70 depending on which airport you land at here.

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
the flight from Las Americas to El Portillo (i.e. Las Terrenas or Samana) leaves once or twice a day depending on how many people are traveling. These days they quote $100, but you can negotiate.

I prefer the guagua that takes the new road. It is very Dominican style, but gets you there faster than Caribe Tours.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
the flight from Las Americas to El Portillo (i.e. Las Terrenas or Samana) leaves once or twice a day depending on how many people are traveling. These days they quote $100, but you can negotiate.

I prefer the guagua that takes the new road. It is very Dominican style, but gets you there faster than Caribe Tours.

and there is a guagua leaving the la parada,Calle Barahona, behind plaza lama on duarte about every half hour starting at 730am,stopping at about 4pm,takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours also...by far the best way to go...\
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi all,

My husband and I are traveling to Samana from SD in January. What is the best way to get there? If we take El Caribe, where does it leave from in SD, what does it cost and how long does it take? Is this our best option or should we take a flight? From where? I'm having a hard time nailing this down...any suggestions would help.
by the way are you going to Samana or Las Galeras???If Las Galeras,there are two guaguas leaving from La Parada Samana,one around 11am and one around 1pm...
bob

shorelife

Dec 27, 2009
If you do decide to take the guagua to La Samanna, does it make multiple stops there so that you can get to a specific hotel, or does it make just one or two stops and then you have to take another taxi to your hotel?

I'm thinking that if it just makes one central stop, then I guess it's just as well to take Caribe Tours which probably also has just one or two station stops. I'm also planning to get from SD up there, but haven't figured out if there's any way to just skip going into S.D.? If the guaguas had a way of stopping at SD's airport, they'd have a whole new market...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
If you do decide to take the guagua to La Samanna, does it make multiple stops there so that you can get to a specific hotel, or does it make just one or two stops and then you have to take another taxi to your hotel?

I'm thinking that if it just makes one central stop, then I guess it's just as well to take Caribe Tours which probably also has just one or two station stops. I'm also planning to get from SD up there, but haven't figured out if there's any way to just skip going into S.D.? If the guaguas had a way of stopping at SD's airport, they'd have a whole new market...

depends on what hotel...if the guagua goes by it,it will stop,if not you go to the bus terminal in samana...and there are plenty of taxis there...

the unions here will not let the guaguas go to the airport terminal...very closely guarded..
bob

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009

The taxi guys would kill the gua gua guys in the new civil war.

Its the same reason that Samana does not have a Caribe Tours route to Santiago. There would be a war between the gua gua union and Caribe Tours. It would make life so much easier if there was a route like that but you have to take the stupid cram em in bus that makes a trillion stops along the way. This BS that you come across here is the main reason I bought a car. Sorry, sometimes I just get a little fed up with all of that stuff, you know, when reason and common sense can never win out down here.

shorelife

Dec 27, 2009
The taxi guys would kill the gua gua guys in the new civil war.

Its the same reason that Samana does not have a Caribe Tours route to Santiago. There would be a war between the gua gua union and Caribe Tours. It would make life so much easier if there was a route like that but you have to take the stupid cram em in bus that makes a trillion stops along the way. This BS that you come across here is the main reason I bought a car. Sorry, sometimes I just get a little fed up with all of that stuff, you know, when reason and common sense can never win out down here.

hi Toursamana!

You just answered one of the next questions I was going to ask, which was: supposing I just fly direct into Santiago and then try to get to La Samana? Okay, so now I think the two ways for me to compare for cost is:

(1) fly into S.D. r/t, then go directly to La Samana on either Caribe Tours plus taxi fare into S.D. to get to Caribe bus station, then one more taxi to hotel in La Samana, or take a guagua direct from S.D. up to La Samana, again plus 2 taxi fares, or

(2) fly direct into Santiago r/t, then taxi into Santiago to Caribe Tours bus station, then one more taxi to hotel in La Samana, or a guagua from Santiago up to La Samana, again 2 taxis from Santiago airport into Santiago and again from La Samana to hotel.

Do you think the taxi fares from Santiago airport to the guagua pick-up inside Santiago will be cheaper than doing the same from S.D. airport into S.D.? Also, will the fare from Santiago-La Samana-Santiago on Caribe be at least a little cheaper than S.D.-La-Samana-S.D.?

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Before the new highway was built I always flew into Santiago because it was much closer 3 to 3.5 hours. Now that the travel time to SD is down to 2 hours I will only fly into SD unless the flight to Santiago is much much cheaper. I hate the gua guas so I, personally, would only take Caribe Tours.

There is no Caribe Tour from Santiago to Samana so you would have to take the gua gua. (I am calling CT right now to confirm that but I keep getting a busy tone. If that is not correct I will let you know.)

Is your hotel outside of Samana? I ask because town is not very big and if you know what you're doing you should be able to get a taxi to the hotel for very little.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Getting to Samana from SDQ is really not complicated and the trip need not be stressful. Arrange for, or get, a taxi at SDQ to take you to the Caribe Tours bus parada in Santo Domingo. CT will take you all the way into Samana. Then get a taxi at the small bus station in Samana to your hotel. If you can get to Caribe Tours in SD in time to catch the bus that uses the new highway, all the better. The taxi fares are a bit expensive, but, to avoid the complications and stress, I would recommend you bite the bullet and take the taxis. The bus schedules are online so you can figure out how much time you have after you arrive in SDQ to get to one of the two daily buses that use that route. Otherwise, its a four and a half hour ride on the buses that use the old route that travel directly north over to San Francisco de Marcosis and then to Samana. Be warned, the CT bus drivers blast the AC, so you'll need a jacket or sweater. Other than that, sit back and enjoy!

shorelife

Dec 27, 2009
terry, bob and ron,
thank you for your responses. My trip is still in the early planning stages. Yes, the fare from up here in Fort Lauderdale down to Santiago is much more than to SDQ for some reason. Isn't there an airport right on the Samana peninsual now that handles international flights (i.e., Miami)? I've actually done the Caribe Tours (& the other one that competes with them) from SD to Puerto Plata and then with more taxis to Cabarete, so I know all the pleasures of Dominican taxi cab drivers and guaguas. This time, I need to keep my costs down - that's why I'm considering all the different ways!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
This may sound a bit crazy, but I actually enjoy the gua gua from Santo Domingo to Samana/Las Terranas and its a little less expensive. The problem either way is the taxi fare from SDQ to the capitol and then from the parada to your hotel in Samana. The gua gua uses the new highway which cuts your travel time. Samana airport is limited and may not be available to you from FLL. I would think the least expensive route is via SDQ.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
No USA flights into Samana AZS as of this time. Used to be able to arrive from San Juan but that flight was always empty. There are flight from Canada now but Florida is a long way from Canada. I think you can fly from MIA to SDQ for less than $250 on American. You also might try La Romana as a cheaper alternative to SDQ. They were cheaper there during the summer anyway.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
acribe Tours to/from Las Terrenas?

Can you local experts please tell me:
What time does the Caribe Tour bus leave Las Terrenas and arrive in SD and the reverse:
When does Caribe Tour bus leave SD and arrive in Las Terrenas??
Many thanks and Happy new year!
Susan

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Caribe Tours does not go to Las Terrenas.

I goes to Sanchez or Samana and from there you have to take a gua gua or a taxi.

8 am bus from SD gets to Samana at 10:30-11:00 am and vice versa.

4 pm bus from SD gets to Samana at 6:30-07:00 pm and vice versa.

Sanchez is about 30 before Samana when you come from SD.

The gua gua to LT from either town takes about 40 min.

There are other buses throughout the day but they go the old route that takes about 4-5 hours.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Can you local experts please tell me:
What time does the Caribe Tour bus leave Las Terrenas and arrive in SD and the reverse:
When does Caribe Tour bus leave SD and arrive in Las Terrenas??
Many thanks and Happy new year!
Susan

regular guagua leaves LT at 7am or 2 pm for SD.
7am arrives at about 1030am,2pm about 530pm.

# guaguas leave sd for LT at 8am,11am and 140 pm...the bus terminal is on Barahona,off of Duarte,behind Plaza Lama.
bob

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks Terry and Bob--

I usually rent a car to get between Las Terrenas and SDQ, but looking for a cheaper option!
As I understand.... I would need to:
1. taxi from SDQ to Caribe Tour station
2. CT bus to Sanchez
3. Gua gua from Sanchez to Las Terrenas

Sounds rather complicated, but would definitely be cheaper...
Thanks again-
Susan

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
If I wished To travel from SDQ Las Americas to LT I would get a taxi from the airport to the entrance of the new Autopista to Samana where there is a Caribe and Guagua bus stop, then get on a
guagua direct to LT.
Add about 20 minutes to the stated SD departure time.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
If I wished To travel from SDQ Las Americas to LT I would get a taxi from the airport to the entrance of the new Autopista to Samana where there is a Caribe and Guagua bus stop, then get on a
guagua direct to LT.
Add about 20 minutes to the stated SD departure time.

if you do this,you better know the time you will arrive at autopista...because busses leave SD and arrive there probably 1/2 hour later///and if you miss one to LT,you will be standing in the sun for awhile

Look,take a taxi to La Parada Samana,cost is about 800 pesos,and get one of the guaguas to LT...no hasstle...

regular guagua leaves LT at 7am or 2 pm for SD.
7am arrives at about 1030am,2pm about 530pm.

# guaguas leave sd for LT at 8am,11am and 140 pm...the bus terminal is on Barahona,off of Duarte,behind Plaza Lama.
bob