Yams in the DR

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I have been unable to find yams here. A friend of mine says the DR exports yams to the US, and that he has had yams here. I have not seen them ANYWHERE (not even in a can). I know the batatas are what we call sweet potatoes, but those are not what I want.
Does anybody have any suggestions on where to find them (even in a can)?
Many thanks.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
We found some canned yams last week at the Nacional on the corner of Lincoln and 27th of February streets. Good luck and happy holidays!

Rick

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I'm more confused than ever now! I really thought I knew my spuds (& tubers) - the orange fleshed (sweeter) type is what I'm looking for. In the U.S. they are often called sweet potatoes, but my understanding has always been that these were, in actuality, yams.
The sweet potatoes we get there are pretty much like the batatas here, but I think they have a bit more color inside.
I do like name, but that is not the same as the dang thing I am referring to. It seems starchier to me. No idea how it stacks up vitamin wise.

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
ok sorry to post twice but I can't seem to edit my previous post.
BATATA is the sweet potato (which is not sweet).
NAME is the true YAM- but it is not what we call yams in the US.
What we generally call YAMS are a variety of sweet potato that has more moisture, bright orange flesh, and is sweet.
That is the one I am looking for! (I think I have it figured out now.)

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I know exactly what you mean, and how you feel!!!! I love sweet potatos, yams whatever you want to call them!!! I was lucky enough to have someone find a can of real Yams in Santo Domingo and he brought them to us for a Christmas treat!!!! How sweet it is!!!

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
Pola Supermarkets will be selling sweet potatoes starting the weekend of the 29th. Also at a couple of their multicentro locations.

time for some sweet potato fries

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now that is news...

I like and enjoy batatas, miss the old sweet potatoes with marshmellows. Don't enjoy ?ame or yaut?as...too starchy for my delicate palate, I guess.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Now that is news...

I like and enjoy batatas, miss the old sweet potatoes with marshmellows. Don't enjoy ?ame or yaut?as...too starchy for my delicate palate, I guess.

HB

I agree, can't compare either with sweet potatoes - but what would sancocho be without both types of yautia?:)

AE

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
What is the occasion/reason? And only Polas will sell them? Are you referring to canned Yams or fresh sweet potatoes?

Sorry for all the questions....but my mouth is watering for some sweet potato fries drizzled with molases!!!

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
for now it will be Polas, La Sirena Churchill and Puerto Plata.

And yes, they are fresh.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm actually kinda surprised that yams aren't grown in D.R. I'm not a botanist, but I'd guess they would thrive there.