3 Questions for techies

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi,

Question 1: Does anyone know anything about unlocking the Latin America (including Caribbean, and therefore the question IS DR-related) region code on DVD players?

The Samsung P290K purchased here, is coded for region 4. In the past it has been possible to unlock DVD player region code by keying in the code breaker sequence from the remote control, but the P290K remote control doesn't have a numeric keypad.

Question 2: Is there any way the code can be unlocked with the remote control if there are no numbers on the remote control?

Question 3: Would it be possible to use one of those "universal" remote controls that does have a numeric keypad to enter the unlock code in this player?

Any assistance/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

[Bryan

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would try and answer question 3 by yourself and get a cheap universal remote. Then try this:

* Turn On the player and wait to display show "no disc"
* No disc in the player
* Press Repeat on remote
* if you've bought the player in region 4, then digit: 7, 6, 8, 8, 4, 7, 8 and 9
* Wait until "no disc" appears
* Press Open Disc on the player
* Press Power on remote

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi,

Question 1: Does anyone know anything about unlocking the Latin America (including Caribbean, and therefore the question IS DR-related) region code on DVD players?

The Samsung P290K purchased here, is coded for region 4. In the past it has been possible to unlock DVD player region code by keying in the code breaker sequence from the remote control, but the P290K remote control doesn't have a numeric keypad.

Question 2: Is there any way the code can be unlocked with the remote control if there are no numbers on the remote control?

Question 3: Would it be possible to use one of those "universal" remote controls that does have a numeric keypad to enter the unlock code in this player?

Any assistance/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

[Bryan

Just to let you all know, if anyone might be facing a similar predicament, I found out how to do this. The importers, Corripio, do the uncoding free of charge at their Service Department on Nunez de Caceres just to the south of the corner with Kennedy in Santo Domingo (not at their main outlet which is on Kennedy just east of Nunez de Caceres). It takes only a minute whilst they do the magic with a special disc and remote controller. You have to take the player (of course) and the purchase receipt.

Why they don't tell you this when you buy the player, I don't know, but I guess it has something to do with the agreements between the DVD equipment manufacturers and the entertainment industry which dictate the regional coding requirements.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

ojoro

May 29, 2010
Here is how I did it - it worked for me

1. Turn player on with without disc in tray.
2. Wait until "no disc" appears on TV screen
3. Press "repeat" (not "repeat A-B"!) on remote.

For step four, you need to check behind your DVD for the current region code. Depending on what the current region code is, you will use one of the following lines:
4. Press in sequence following keys:
Region 2 players: FF, FR, FF, UP, DOWN
Region 3 players: FF, PLAY, FR, UP, LEFT
Region 4 players: FR, PLAY, DOWN, DOWN, RIGHT
Region 5 players: FF, UP, DOWN, STOP, RIGHT
Region 6 players: LEFT, RIGHT, RIGHT, PLAY, LEFT

If step 4 is successful, you will see 9 on the top left part of your TV.

5. Using remote control, press eject twice (to open and close the tray)
6. Switch off DVD player and switch it back on again.