bed'n breakfast

dr_mama

Dec 22, 2009
I have spent a lot of time reading through the message board here over the past few days.

My husband and I and our three young children were contemplating coming down to the DR (from Alberta, Canada) to buy a bed n breakfast type place and make a change in our lifestyle.

However, after reading everything on here, I'm feeling a bit discouraged about the crime, the real estate, and so on.

1 - Are those types of businesses not doing well? (as a result of the current economy or otherwise?)

2 - If we shouldn't buy right away, like i've read on this site, i'm wondering if renting a house and doing something else for the first while may work? I am an at-home mom and DH is an environmental consultant (are there any environmental consulting co's there - we can't seem to find any?)

thanks for any info!!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
It is good to see that you are getting a good dose of reality from reading the forums. Generally it is recommended to rent in an area here for at least 6 months before making a decision to purchase anything. If you need the money from a business or a profession to live here, then I would not advise such a move. This is such a different place than Canada (or the US).

Others can chime in as to the possibilities of environmental consulting here, but I don't expect there is much call for that.

I agree, its important to live here and rent at first to see if you will like the place. Crime here is minimal and you should always use common sense.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
ACTUALLY there is a need for environmental consulting here...but I am singing a song to the deaf. When you come to visit for your time span(6m months) you will see how degraded the environment is here. If you dont live or stay in a planned community(read: resort) it will be in your face the first time you go visit a river here. Now can your husband get work doing that here? Hahahahahaha! Only if he plans on singing bachata during conference calls.
I think the BnB thing is a good idea, but all of your clientele would be from Europe and North America and you d have to know the area well enough to tell your visitors what there is to do in your neck of the woods whereever you open this place.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Second Thoughts

My husband and I and our three young children were contemplating coming down to the DR (from Alberta, Canada) to buy a bed n breakfast type place and make a change in our lifestyle.

How well do you know the country?
How good is your Spanish?

Unless you're are millionaires and always wanted to have a B&B as a hobby, the economic outlook will be grim.

As environment consultant your husband will feel like a missionary... ;)

Think about your kids and think again.

donP

dr_mama

Dec 22, 2009
How well do you know the country?
How good is your Spanish?

Unless you're are millionaires and always wanted to have a B&B as a hobby, the economic outlook will be grim.

As environment consultant your husband will feel like a missionary... ;)

Think about your kids and think again.

donP

We've been there 3x on vacation, we'd obviously come down and do some pretty intense in-person research first.

Spanish is not good at all unfortunately.

Yes, DH has had no luck finding environmental firms or regulatory info online.

So these types of businesses (small B&Bs or Boutique Hotels) just don't do well there? I realize we'd be marketing to North America and European customers, that would be the goal.

What about your children's education?

It's my understanding from this message board and the sites that I checked out from links on this board, that there are good private english schools in the DR.

I think it's interesting that the board here is so negative about earning a living there when you yourselves live there? How are you all earning enough to support yourselves there, or are you primarily retirees living off savings?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Some of these guys are as old as Orville Redenbacher, so they are getting that SSI direct deposit I think. I m smuggling Grade A green coconuts back to the US to sell them on the beach in Miami. While keeping an eye of Fidel from afar for my CIA contacts.
But we are talking about YOU guys. You dont work, you have 2 small children and he wants to do a job NO ONE does here, hence the difficulty finding a position. He could be a trash man that is the closest your going to find to environmental so and so. Of course, it wont pay like a sanitation guy in Canada. Possibly 10% of what he d earn there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
quite simply - failure.
dr1ers do different things, including, i suspect, b&b or hotel business. many, however, are retired or live off savings having sold their european/american houses. others have different businesses and professions.
b&b is not going to make you rich, no matter how you look at it. you will be lucky if you break even - seeing that you need to pay for the family of five. and initial investment would be substantial. you can see dr real estate for b&b places, small hotels or simply houses with b&b potential; you'd have to be located in a touristy area or a place that will appeal to tourist (secluded private beach, beautiful farm with mountain views atc). then you will need cash to live on before you open to public and start making money. and some more to pay employees. and some more to pay for private school for kids.
your plan is doable but be ready to spend, spend and spend more before you earn anything.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Good English schools dont come cheap it may be cheap by american standards but you will still have all the side expenses that go along with a private education. Not to mention how is your secondary support (friends,relatives) most of us have a highly extended circle of friends needed for survial here. I for one never like to put a damper on things but please think this one out......