5 gallon water bottles in santiago...blah

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have purchased the 5 gallon plastic containers of supposedly purified water from various locations and they all taste like city water. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it tastes like cr*p. I realise it's cheap and all but is it really purified or just another scam ? I think it's time to go back to the small bottles sold at PriceMart.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
R.O. water has no flavor. It's not city water. And it's a LOT cheaper than small bottles.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There are 3 ma & pa mercados within 1 block of my house, and a 4th 2 blocks away. I have tried the water from the 3 closest and I think they are getting there water from the same supplier. I can have 4 good bottles and then 1 bad, 2 good 1 bad, and I don't drink it when it tastes bad. The bad one's have a metallic taste and is very obvious. I think that If I drink it, I will start glowing in the dark. My girlfriend would probably like that........

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Send a sample to a lab to be tested. Not very expensive and may bring some piece of mind.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I ran some tests once comparing bottled water to tap water and the only difference I found was that the tap water had a little more chlorine.

Didn't test for bacteria though.

I think the difference in taste could be atttributed to the amount of time the water has been in the bottle. To me some of it tastes like water gets when its been in a plastic jug for too long, and algae is just barely starting to form.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
try Agua Crystal 5 gallons. More expensive (we sell for 50 RD$ in my colmado as opposed to 40 for the others). Much nicer and all of the city folks from the capital always order that

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If a bottle isn't labeled the water may not be filtered or R.O.

There was a crackdown recently of water purification folks all over the country who got busted for bad procedures.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We pay 30 pesos for a 5 gal. bottle of R.O. water from the processor.

The bottle deposit is 200 pesos. We just trade the bottles in.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is an American couple in Jarabacoa that sells UN approved filters for US25. I believe they are the owners of "Jamaca de Dios". Next time I get up to Jarabacoa I will get one. The filter elements are made out of clay and made locally. They supposedly have scientific tests of the water quality.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is an American couple in Jarabacoa that sells UN approved filters for US25. I believe they are the owners of "Jamaca de Dios". Next time I get up to Jarabacoa I will get one. The filter elements are made out of clay and made locally. They supposedly have scientific tests of the water quality.
These are the filters:

FilterPure Filters :: Ceramic water filters to provide clean and safe drinking water to the people with the greatest need.

Lisa and Mike are former missionaries and own Jamaca de Dios. They are very fine folks. The filters cost $RD800.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uhhhh, yeah, but they do not remove microbes....or do they?

Run run run....to the head!!

HB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Uhhhh, yeah, but they do not remove microbes....or do they?

Run run run....to the head!!

HB

OK OK... All of you have convinced me of one thing. NO MORE 5 gallon bottles of water. I am going to PriceMart and loading up on the 20 oz. bottles OF Dansani.
Any more talk of little critters running around inside my body and I'll have to sponge bath with Dansani also. UUCH

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
OK OK... All of you have convinced me of one thing. NO MORE 5 gallon bottles of water. I am going to PriceMart and loading up on the 20 oz. bottles OF Dansani.
Any more talk of little critters running around inside my body and I'll have to sponge bath with Dansani also. UUCH
Read up on bottled water.

It's filtered, nothing at all special about it.

The 5gal bottles from a respected R.O./filtration company is fine. Just make sure the top seal is intact.

One reson R.O. water tastes different is...it's nothing but water. Few minerals and other trace compounds. Just water.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006

I know what you mean. I never gave it much thought until I saw the word "fecal coliforms" on that filter website. I don't even know what a fecal coliform is, but I definitely don't want to swallow it.

Chris

donP

Dec 14, 2008
H2o

...it's nothing but water. Few minerals and other trace compounds. Just water.

Only 'si Dios quiere'.

"Salud P?blica" is totally understaffed and do not have the means to check the 540 water 'factories' for a safe product.
(There was an article about this situation in a local newspaper the other day.)

At times the odd plant is shut down but I have never heard of one not reopening after a short time.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know what you mean. I never gave it much thought until I saw the word "fecal coliforms" on that filter website. I don't even know what a fecal coliform is, but I definitely don't want to swallow it.

Chris

Oy vey. Neither do I Chris....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Chris
It's listed on every water test done.