getaway place on north coast?

snowbirdster

Dec 23, 2009
Looking to get a few ideas where to go on north coast in February. I was in DR last year in south -- Bayahibe, Barahona, Paraiso, etc. & enjoyed it, although challenging for someone with only survivor Spanish skills.I really liked the locals and the lack of sandal-socked tourists, but was disappointed the beautiful Caribbean coast was largely unavailable due to threat of armed bandits. Except in Barahona, I wasn't bothered too much from panhandlers & prostitutes--and even then it wasn't bad. I did make it to Las Terrenas, but definitely not my scene.

I'm looking to find a place on north coast that has some beach access with minimum of prosties & other tourists. I thought of Cabarete & Las Galeras, but if like Bayahibe & LT, no thanks.

Any other sleepy non-AI beach places up there you can recommend where a guy can grab a beer & catch some rays?

Much thanks!

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Cabarete has more tourists than LT. Las Galeras is probably what you're looking for. A lot of nearby beaches with minimal tourists. Not too much panhandeling/scams, (almost) no hookers. Also consider Rio San Juan, which has a couple of nice beaches and a minimum of BS.

Hope this helps.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Caberete has only 1 real AI. Great beach and most things you will need to live . There are torists, but it is much more laid back then some other places. Rio San Jaun is very quiet, but if you need things you have to travel. It all depends on what you are looking for. Good luck.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
(This is coming from a Dominican who grew up there, btw so my suggestions may be different). How about plain ol Puerto Plata? The town, I mean. It's a small town with just regular Dominican folks for the most part.

You can go to the beach all along the malecon (with Long Beach all the way at the end of the strip) and theres rarely a tourist in site. Its clean and there are no prosti's or panhandlers bugging you, either. There are little huts along there where you can buy drinks and snacks.

Theres Puerto Plata Beach Resort and Apart-Hotel Lomar right along the malecon and a few others in town, like KMA Hotel, that are decent and fairly priced. And La Sirena is on the same road, which is our version of Walmart. You can find anything you need for pretty cheap.

You can explore the town and check out how the regular folks live and everyones friendly and very open to visitors. Its pretty safe for the most part---just use your common sense.

The locals hang out on the malecon and some Playa Dorada Complex nightclubs or Lighthouse out in Cofresi on the weekends.

Plus you can easily and quickly drive to any of the touristy spots from there if you should feel the need to.

Last edited:

snowbirdster

Dec 23, 2009
thanx,,

...for your helpful suggestions. I'll take them to heart. Hope you all have a cheerful Christmas.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
As always I recommend my beloved Rio San Juan. Has 4 in town beaches with locals enjoying, about 20 overnight tourists per night (max), dance hall, disco, restaurants (tourist and dominican), friendly people getting on with their lives independent of tourism and normal shops incl plenty of fish shops.

sayrah

Nov 29, 2006
There's a place just west of Rio San Juan, mentioned some in these forums called Coco Cabanas Beach Club. The turn is just east of La Yagua, beach is called Playa Magante. There are a half dozen cabanas on the beach. No AC, just the sound of the ocean to put you to sleep. I recommend it highly!

ElizaJ

Oct 15, 2008
Las Galeras, i was just there sept 2009, there are many beaches near by, my favourites were La Playita and Fronton. If you want to eat at a restaurant in las Galeras, go to Plaza Lusitania ( the bartender cant even make a strawberry daiquiri but the pizza is alright) across this place is also the Gri Gri they have decent food and the drinks are good too. if you ever go to la Playita, there are 2 retaurants, i only tried the one closest to the shore, it is owned by a local elder woman, DO NOT try her food, she is a bad cook, and has low basic hygiene standars. there is a pizza place about 15min walk from las galeras town, they supposed to have steak BBQ thing every friday night, i dont recommend this place either, believe me you're better off cooking your own meal. OTHER THAN THAT, THE BEACHES ARE BEAUTIFUL AND ALMOST DESERTED.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
Apparently Boca Chica is supposed to be a good getaway place.

Just tell your family where your going though.

BlackRainbow

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently Boca Chica is supposed to be a good getaway place.

Just tell your family where your going though.

BlackRainbow
Blackrainbow, We have been allowed to express our opinions about D'ARcy on the related post..But you are crossing the line by hijacking non related threads with your petty insults..You have a right to your opinion, but you are now being a cruel ruthless poster:eek:gre: Ad happy New Years to you brother..