ITBIS and Tips

San Pedro

Feb 15, 2009
I have heard that there is a 26% charge (16% ITBIS and 10% tax) tacked on to food and drinks at restaurants in the Dominican. Does any of this money go towards a tip for the server/bartender? I am planning on a trip to Cap Cana, and I want to make sure I am properly taking care of the service staff. I will be paying for meals and drinks a la carte. Not staying at an all inclusive.

Thanks.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well it's supposed to, but whether or not it does depend on the establishment, unfortunately often time it doesn't go to the staff as intended, but to the owner.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Once I asked it at some restaurant and they said that 10 % mentioned in bill is actually kind of tax of placing restaurant and so it does not profit the owner either.
Since that I had left the tips separated.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
As said depending on which restaurant you will get different answers, I have heard both, an extra tax, and also that it belongs to the staff. Either way 26% is steep, and I prefer to make my own decision as to how much to leave based on the service received.

Unfortunately some places treat their employees better than others, it would be nice if everything was universal, but obviously it is not.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
tax & tip

16 % tax by law
10 % tip by law

Its not unusual for tourists to be told it's all tax so they tip twice...

carib

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
16 % tax by law
10 % tip by law

Its not unusual for tourists to be told it's all tax so they tip twice...

carib

I've learned since you really don't know if the waiters get that 10% or not, I leave an additional 20% of the actual food bill in cash to the waiter. Not on a credit card. If the service is so-so, I leave 10% of the food total.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well it's supposed to, but whether or not it does depend on the establishment, unfortunately often time it doesn't go to the staff as intended, but to the owner.
And since we know this...WE TIP....I always leave a minimum of 10% ca$h for my server and in many places I frequent regularly up to 20%....this has insured that I never wait for a table, a cold beer or a SMILE when I walk in...a little "love" goes a long way in the DR!

Reactions: Black Dog

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Here we go again.

The 10% service fee is not a tip.

It is supposed to be split by all of the employees so yes, this does include the servers but it is not your server's tip per se.

Some places don't charge the 10% service fee and some owners pocket this fee.
It is just all around a very stupid idea.

San Pedro

Feb 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice folks. The 26% plus tip really adds up, especially at Cap Cana, but it's worth it for good service.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
propina

the tax is 16 % and the tip is 10% included in your bill. The staff get the 10%, its a tip period. They will lie to you to get more money
carib