Do all Domincians promise

jags1984

Dec 1, 2009
you what they will do and then not follow through. It has been my experience on every occasion thus far. I am at about 6 and counting.

I guess that makes sense.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
you what they will do and then not follow through. It has been my experience on every occasion thus far. I am at about 6 and counting.

I guess that makes sense.

Normal operational procedure!

You must repeatedly ask the same thing over and over.
It is very rare that one request will be followed through.

Don

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ahorita has been described as "like ma?ana, but without the same sense of urgency".

Note that in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Never ever at once

in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.

Is it any wonder?
'Inmediatamente' is only used by politicians which seems to be a synonym for 'nunca jam?s'. :tired:

donP

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Now I am completely mystified, maybe its that folk here in the Samana peninsular are different to the rest of the island. Provided you overlook the Dominican almost total disregard for what the clock says, I have never experienced a Dominican not keeping a promise, if one says he or she will come they do- OK 2pm this afternoon doesn?t arrive until 10 am the following day or borrowing a ladder until tomorrow works out to tomorrow next week but they always com through sometimes with an excuse even and an even an apology. I?m sorry I didn?t get here yesterday afternoon but I had to kill a pig was the latest used to me.

Reactions: mountainannie

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
So to be clear;

From what i understand and have read here from many posts, Dominicans;

Never keep their word.
Always late or never show up.
Expect the gringo pays for everything.
Rarely says thank you.
Complete disregard for others,i.e. very loud and annoying at all hours never considering they may be reducing the peace and tranquility of a neighbor.
Have no respect for traffic rules.
Do anything to screw the competition in business.

And then of course there are the lower society types which are plenty,they will lie, cheat, scam, steal, or do whatever it takes to get money from the gringo, and honestly feel its not a crime,more so a right.

It really is sad such a beautiful island is plagued with such a complete lack of integrity...
Now this is just a summary of what i have read here many times and have experienced myself but is still a negative post, so im sure it may offend the many good Dominicans who do not fall under this umbrella(which i have met some) to them I apologize! Just calling a spade a spade as I have traveled the world and have never seen anything like it.
As i write this with tired eyes due to the all night obnoxious neighbors who kept me up very late and the others who woke me with screaming children and barking dogs.
Ok feel free to delete my negative venting post now. Merry Xmas all!!!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Ahorita has been described as "like ma?ana, but without the same sense of urgency".

Note that in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.

Wow Chiri.

This word has and continues to confuse me as I have also heard it used in the DR in the context of "a little while ago"............

Am I completely wrong?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You're not wrong, it can also mean that - "lo v? ahorita" for example means "I saw him a little while ago".

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Wow Chiri.

This word has and continues to confuse me as I have also heard it used in the DR in the context of "a little while ago"............

Am I completely wrong?

No you not wrong :bunny:

Por favor limpiame el carro, ahorita lo hago mami.

Ahorita fui al colmado a comprar azucar.

Mar 1, 2009
Dominican's do promise and many do keep their word. Just like anywhere else you have saints and sinners, my father has commented however that when he lived in Santo Domingo during the times of 'el jefe', Dominican's 'eran mas serios'.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Excellent point..

my father has commented however that when he lived in Santo Domingo during the times of 'el jefe', Dominican's 'eran mas serios'.

Many of the perceptions attributed to nationality are really generational in nature. The perceptions that many have about Dominicans can also apply to Americans. I work in a high reliability environment and when I started out in this business traits like truthfulness, loyalty and sense of honor were common characteristics among coworkers and dependability could be assumed. I have seen this erode over the decades to a point where it can now only be assumed that one's dedication stops at the limit of their own self interest and legal liability. This is the World that we live in at home. Why would we expect it to be different elsewhere?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So to be clear;

From what i understand and have read here from many posts, Dominicans;

Never keep their word.
Always late or never show up.
Expect the gringo pays for everything.
Rarely says thank you.
Complete disregard for others,i.e. very loud and annoying at all hours never considering they may be reducing the peace and tranquility of a neighbor.
Have no respect for traffic rules.
Do anything to screw the competition in business.

No all Dominicans are like this, what happens is that most of the poster in this forum socializes with the very low class Dom. & Haitian people, who are frequently trying to survive making some Dollars at the tourist areas.

Of my beautiful island

JJ

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
Wow Chiri.

Am I completely wrong?
Mexicans in NC say ahorita and i be thinking its like in 2 or 3 hours naw they mean ASAP.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Here in Mexico, "ahorita" doesn't mean ASAP, it means "Right dam NOW". :eek:gre:

In the DR, it can also mean "if and when I feel like it". :cheeky:

Sep 22, 2009
No, you are completely right. Horita can be used as "just a while ago", i.e. Estuvimos alla horita" which means "we were there a little while ago.

It depends on how you use it. "Me voy para alla horita" means, "I'm going in a little while"

"ahorita" as in "a little now", oddly enough, but yes, a "short" while back or forward.