Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do all Domincians promise

you what they will do and then not follow through. It has been my experience on every occasion thus far. I am at about 6 and counting.

I guess that makes sense.

Moderator 🤡 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jags1984 View Post
    you what they will do and then not follow through. It has been my experience on every occasion thus far. I am at about 6 and counting.

I guess that makes sense.
    Normal operational procedure!

You must repeatedly ask the same thing over and over.
    It is very rare that one request will be followed through.

Don

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cumplará

Quote Originally Posted by jags1984 View Post
    Do all Domincians promise you what they will do and then not follow through.
    Yes and no.
    If they promise to call you for a 'préstamo' they will 100%.

donP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember manana does not mean tomorrow, it means not today!

Bob K

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe now

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Remember manana does not mean tomorrow, it means not today!
    Mañana is like 'ahorita', ambiguous to say the least...

donP

Post Thanks / Like

Ahorita has been described as "like mañana, but without the same sense of urgency".

Note that in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never ever at once

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.
    Is it any wonder?
    'Inmediatamente' is only used by politicians which seems to be a synonym for 'nunca jamás'.

donP

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I am completely mystified, maybe its that folk here in the Samana peninsular are different to the rest of the island. Provided you overlook the Dominican almost total disregard for what the clock says, I have never experienced a Dominican not keeping a promise, if one says he or she will come they do- OK 2pm this afternoon doesn´t arrive until 10 am the following day or borrowing a ladder until tomorrow works out to tomorrow next week but they always com through sometimes with an excuse even and an even an apology. I´m sorry I didn´t get here yesterday afternoon but I had to kill a pig was the latest used to me.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So to be clear;

From what i understand and have read here from many posts, Dominicans;

Never keep their word.
    Always late or never show up.
    Expect the gringo pays for everything.
    Rarely says thank you.
    Complete disregard for others,i.e. very loud and annoying at all hours never considering they may be reducing the peace and tranquility of a neighbor.
    Have no respect for traffic rules.
    Do anything to screw the competition in business.

And then of course there are the lower society types which are plenty,they will lie, cheat, scam, steal, or do whatever it takes to get money from the gringo, and honestly feel its not a crime,more so a right.

It really is sad such a beautiful island is plagued with such a complete lack of integrity...
    Now this is just a summary of what i have read here many times and have experienced myself but is still a negative post, so im sure it may offend the many good Dominicans who do not fall under this umbrella(which i have met some) to them I apologize! Just calling a spade a spade as I have traveled the world and have never seen anything like it.
    As i write this with tired eyes due to the all night obnoxious neighbors who kept me up very late and the others who woke me with screaming children and barking dogs.
    Ok feel free to delete my negative venting post now. Merry Xmas all!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Ahorita has been described as "like mañana, but without the same sense of urgency".

Note that in other Latin American countries ahorita really does mean "immediately", as opposed to "some time soon" as in the DR.
    Wow Chiri.

This word has and continues to confuse me as I have also heard it used in the DR in the context of "a little while ago"............

Am I completely wrong?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast