Popular song in the DR roughly two weeks ago.

TwistedSister

Dec 24, 2009
I was in the Dominican Republic about a week or two ago, and we were driven crazy by this particular song that was apparently a big hit over there. Everyone was playing it to the point of insanity. I'd like to find out what it was, maybe some of you can help me. Apparently it was some sort of traditional merengue song that had been remixed into a pop song. I do not know any of the lyrics, but maybe if some of you can let me know what the top 10 pop songs are currently, maybe I can look some of them up and listen to see if it was one of them.

Thanks!

TwistedSister

Dec 24, 2009
It's not Sobeide Se Fue or that pepe pepe song... But thanks for the suggestions. I don't recall if there was any English in the song but I think it was just Spanish. Also I heard that it was traditional mixed into something new, but that may have been a different song too. I heard it so often.. it has to be one of the currently most played songs on the radio over there. Maybe there's a list of current top 40 hits in the DR or something somewhere?

pas

Jun 7, 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMyVnKppHfQ&feature=related]YouTube - Pepe Pepe Nina Chilly

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
To help you, someone told you that it was a merengue song turn to pop song ? Now when you refer to pop song is it a ballad ? soft rock ? bachata ? merengue mambo ? Just want to clarify that way I can help you !

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
If you have cable TV they usually have some music channels you can see if it is played there. But we really need to know what type of music it is so we can help you.

TwistedSister

Dec 24, 2009
To help you, someone told you that it was a merengue song turn to pop song ? Now when you refer to pop song is it a ballad ? soft rock ? bachata ? merengue mambo ? Just want to clarify that way I can help you !

It was more of a dance track. Kind of like this Mojito song, but a bit happier and more uptempo: YouTube - Bacardi Mojito Ad

I'm not in the DR anymore, unfortunately, so I can't check any cable tv for it, and it seems like it was something that was popular over there, because I never heard it anymore after I left. I distinctly remember the bus from the Punta Cana resorts to Manati Park playing it every single time.

Edit: actually, now that I'm looking around for bachata songs to hear what they sound like, I think it's actually a lot more like that. I'd say it's a cross between that mojito song and this bachata song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY36BMNDqbg

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Lets see....

We don't know the artist, the title, we are not sure about the language the song is in, or the musical style. No snippets of lyrics and its hard to hum a melody on a message board, only that is was "popular" two weeks ago, and that its not "pepe" or "sobeida se fue".

This is even more frustrating than when my wife asks me "who's that actor that's in that movie with that girl who was in that other movie? YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT ANSWER ME!!!

I am willing to bet that without providing additional information, the world will never know what song we are looking for here.

TwistedSister

Dec 24, 2009
Wow, I just figured out what it is. I searched youtube for "bachata 2009" and found this recent video from people who had recorded it at the beach and were also wondering what it was called. Turns out it's Si Te Vas Que Tengo Que Hacer by Omega El Fuerte. Elementary, my dear Watson! Thanks everybody, and thanks ElvisNYC for putting me on the trail with Batchata.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You better watch out you better don't cry I'm telling you why....
Make a list and check it twice....
Santa Claus is coming to town.....

This is the song that everyone is playing it to the point of the insanity here where I live.

JJ

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I'm glad that you figured it out. Btw, it's not a bachata ! ;)

Also, when you mentioned that it was popular a few weeks ago, I was going to direct you to Omega, Tito Swing and a few other songs, but when you mentioned pop song, I didn't believe it was a pop song, because in most places you rarely hear pop songs, so that's why I assumed it was bachata or merengue- being likely that it would be Omega, Tito Swing, or another popular artist that are played at the clubs.