I don't have a bone to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
So as my Dominican girlfriends family (all of them) could have a festive Holiday, I purchased a 50lb whole freshly roasted pig from a mercado in Santiago. Took it to the campo and everyone had a fiest. After returning home I realised there weren't any ribs in this whole pig. If memory serves me, pigs do have ribs, babyback right. Well I phoned the mercado and they said they don't take the ribs out, the ribs were in the pig. Now I have to think, pigs do need ribs to walk don't they? SO, where did my ribs go!!!!!! Did I buy the one pig in the world without ribs or did the mercado lie? I can't believe a Dominican store owner would lie to me...HAHAHA

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
So as my Dominican girlfriends family (all of them) could have a festive Holiday, I purchased a 50lb whole freshly roasted pig from a mercado in Santiago. Took it to the campo and everyone had a fiest. After returning home I realised there weren't any ribs in this whole pig. If memory serves me, pigs do have ribs, babyback right. Well I phoned the mercado and they said they don't take the ribs out, the ribs were in the pig. Now I have to think, pigs do need ribs to walk don't they? SO, where did my ribs go!!!!!! Did I buy the one pig in the world without ribs or did the mercado lie? I can't believe a Dominican store owner would lie to me...HAHAHA

OK, that is funny! LOL....

But my question is, how come you didnt realize this until you got home?? Too busy chowing down huh, Haa...:p

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
OK, that is funny! LOL....

But my question is, how come you didnt realize this until you got home?? Too busy chowing down huh, Haa...:p

I placed an order for this pig at Lechonera Milito about 20 minutes outside of Santiago, as they came highly recommended. Total price 10 Mil.
The pig was stretched out in a cardboard box so you can carry back to the house. When we started eating, everyone dug in, even neighbors of the family. But it wasn't until I got back to my house that it hit me, where were the ribs? My girlfriend who did a lot of the cutting said there were none. The mercado lied to me and cut them out because they get top dollar for them. Being that I paid by the pound weight they feel I got what I paid for. I now realise that if there is any way you can be cheated on this Gods green earth, the Dominicans have found every single way it can be done. I just have to smarten up and try and figure every angle with every transaction beforehand.
But I have to hand it to them, when it comes to cheating, they are the best.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I placed an order for this pig at Lechonera Milito about 20 minutes outside of Santiago, as they came highly recommended. Total price 10 Mil.
The pig was stretched out in a cardboard box so you can carry back to the house. When we started eating, everyone dug in, even neighbors of the family. But it wasn't until I got back to my house that it hit me, where were the ribs? My girlfriend who did a lot of the cutting said there were none. The mercado lied to me and cut them out because they get top dollar for them. Being that I paid by the pound weight they feel I got what I paid for. I now realise that if there is any way you can be cheated on this Gods green earth, the Dominicans have found every single way it can be done. I just have to smarten up and try and figure every angle with every transaction beforehand.
Bro, for that kind of money you could have bought a caja chino and a pig and done it yourself! MAYBE NEXT YEAR! In any event, I'm sure the family enjoyed themselves....regardless of the situation....you did the right thing. Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Sounds a little more than we charge for a whole cooked piggy which is marinaded inside and out and we never remove ribs! Ours, when delivered whole, are wrapped in banana leaves then palm and tied in the traditional way and they are yummy!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sounds a little more than we charge for a whole cooked piggy which is marinaded inside and out and we never remove ribs! Ours, when delivered whole, are wrapped in banana leaves then palm and tied in the traditional way and they are yummy!

It was a totally finished piggy and delicious, JUST NO RIBS... I had talked to you earlier by e-mail and because I haven't purchased a car here yet going to Sosua to pick it up by Metro wouldn't work. Santiago was to far away for you unless I placed a very large order and you were out of lamb. Sorry, but I do want to purchase from you in the future when I have a car. I have heard only excellent things about your products.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
we never remove ribs! Ours, when delivered whole, are wrapped in banana leaves then palm and tied in the traditional way and they are yummy!

Me and the whole Rocky's crew can attest to this. We have had many of Whirely's pigs and they are very yummy. As a matter of fact, thanks to Catcherintherye, we had one Christmas Eve. I can still taste the critter. What a heavenly experience. Keep up the good work Whirelybird!

Rick

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Me and the whole Rocky's crew can attest to this. We have had many of Whirely's pigs and they are very yummy. As a matter of fact, thanks to Catcherintherye, we had one Christmas Eve. I can still taste the critter. What a heavenly experience. Keep up the good work Whirelybird!

Rick

Rick, I would have loved to buy one from Whirlybird, but as you know I don't have a vehicle as yet and Sosua was just to far for a piggy. I got screwed paying what I did and Lechonera Milito had the balls to remove the ribs AND NOT TELL ME. The pig was excellent but you get so tired of having to figure every twist and turn on a purchase here. I plan on purchasing one from whirlybird but he doesn't deliver to Santiago unless it is a large order and he was out of a whole lamb.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Whirleybird is a bird first of all, not a bloke!

I am sure you could buy a seat on Caribe tours for the Lechon for a future fiesta.

Although I have not tried Shirley's Oinkers personally, many friends give her a raving review on Zagat's.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Rick, I would have loved to buy one from Whirlybird, but as you know I don't have a vehicle as yet and Sosua was just to far for a piggy. I got screwed paying what I did and Lechonera Milito had the balls to remove the ribs AND NOT TELL ME. The pig was excellent but you get so tired of having to figure every twist and turn on a purchase here. I plan on purchasing one from whirlybird but he doesn't deliver to Santiago unless it is a large order and he was out of a whole lamb.

Understood waytogo. One day, I am sure you will get a chance to buy a piggy from Shirley. Her's are top notch and do come with ribs. LOL, you really do have to be vigilant when doing business here don't you unless you deal with the likes of Shirley. Then you will truly know that you are getting value for your peso and all that you expect.

See you soon,

Rick

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Oy Vey, Sorry, my only communication with SHIRLEY has been by e-mail and never had the pleasure of meeting HER in person. Regardless of the gender mistake, I will try HER piggies asap. Will SHE ever have whole lambs again?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Oy Vey, Sorry, my only communication with SHIRLEY has been by e-mail and never had the pleasure of meeting HER in person. Regardless of the gender mistake, I will try HER piggies asap. Will SHE ever have whole lambs again?

Whatever you do stay away from a lamb named Archie.

He is special to me.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Piggies and stuff...

Understood waytogo. One day, I am sure you will get a chance to buy a piggy from Shirley. Her's are top notch and do come with ribs. LOL, you really do have to be vigilant when doing business here don't you unless you deal with the likes of Shirley. Then you will truly know that you are getting value for your peso and all that you expect.

See you soon,

Rick

Yes, I am indeed a 'she' and now everyone knows my name is Shirley (not that I wish to hide that fact!).

Mr WB is really the "boss" here and I am just the 'messenger' - we sold most of our flock of sheep due to lack of good pasture as no rain for months and no-one gets to eat Archie or Etchie who are two grown lambs now and make up the total of the 6 we have retained. We are hopeful that the young ram will take after his Dad and produce us a new flock next year.

I am delighted to say that one of our 'mummy' pigs produced a new litter of 10 babies 2 weeks ago - you can see them here
68bvow.jpg

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
We paid 1200pesos for our big Christmas pig, and 300pesos for transporting it to monte llano from campo.

You have to be kidding me......is the vendor someone you can diveldge if I pm you? My girlfriends family is extremely poor and live in the campo and I would love to be able to give them a fiesta more than just the holiday season.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
How big was big?

A price like that leads to.... how can someone sell for that price?
Shirley, I would think, even with you in the business, you have to pay a lot more than that for a "large" pig. 1200 pesos is nothing, at least I would think.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
A price like that leads to.... how can someone sell for that price?
Shirley, I would think, even with you in the business, you have to pay a lot more than that for a "large" pig. 1200 pesos is nothing, at least I would think.

The tiny ones in the photo would be worth that each in a few weeks time when they are off mother's milk so..........

Piggies have reached quite a high price recently as the 'feed' costs have increased enormously meaning that many of the Dominican pig owners have decided that it is not a viable business for them right now.

For us, it is a bit of a hobby which we like to 'break even' but we are certainly never going to get rich by breeding and selling piggies!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
We paid 1200pesos for our big Christmas pig, and 300pesos for transporting it to monte llano from campo.
I stopped at a roadside stand and paid 1,000 pesos for a little over 5lbs of ribs, plantains, and two sodas. I am almost sure I got charged the "gringo" price but it didn't matter. I was hungry and the food was very, very good.

I was a little early for the chicharones.

xqknwi.jpg

ym5fn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.