HELP! - Invisible Critters In My Pool

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I have an in-ground Jacuzzi in Santo Domingo. It’s pretty big as far a Jacuzzis go, and could be considered a small pool; I’d be surprised if it held more than 1500 gallons of water. It is surrounded by cement, not grass.

Lately, something has been biting the crap out of me when I use it. I notice it more when I use it at night.

I don’t see anything swimming in the water and I don’t see any bite marks/ bumps on my skin; just stinging. Guests have also experienced this.

I use chlorine tablets, but do not go overboard other with specialty pool chemicals because I am an amateur and the volume of water is small enough that I just drain it and refill each time the water needs to be changed.

I run the water through the sand filter, but that doesn’t seem to help. I keep getting bit.

Does anyone have any idea what it is that is biting me and/or recommended solutions to this problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2009
I have an in-ground Jacuzzi in Santo Domingo. It?s pretty big as far a Jacuzzis go, but too small to be considered pool. But I?d be surprised if it held more than 1500 gallons of water. It is surrounded by cement, not grass.

Lately, something has been biting the crap out of me when I use it. I notice it more when I use it at night.

I don?t see anything swimming in the water and I don?t see any bite marks/ bumps on my skin; just stinging. Guests have also experienced this.

I use chlorine tablets, but do not go overboard other with specialty pool chemicals because I am an amateur and the volume of water is small enough that I just drain it and refill each time the water needs to be changed.

I run the water through the sand filter, but that doesn?t seem to help. I keep getting bit.

Does anyone have any idea what it is that is biting me and/or recommended solutions to this problem?

Thanks.

You need use diatomaceous earth. That, with a slightly more basic pH level should rid you of the "critters"

May 31, 2008
www.youtube.com
I had theese too.

Hi, I know exactly what you are referring to, as I had them in my pool when I lived in Juan Dolio. We stopped using our pool, and would drain it and refill, but they always came back.

We finally moved, and never resolved the problem. I wish I had advice, but I do know how annoying this problem is.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is an annoying problem.

Rey. I imagine I can find this "diatomaceous earth" in a pool supply store in Santo Domingo. Do you know if it has a local commercial name?

Also, from what I have read, it sounds like I need to replace the sand in my sand filter with this stuff. Is that right? Have you/ anyone done this?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is an annoying problem.

Rey. I imagine I can find this "diatomaceous earth" in a pool supply store in Santo Domingo. Do you know if it has a local commercial name?

Also, from what I have read, it sounds like I need to replace the sand in my sand filter with this stuff. Is that right? Have you/ anyone done this?

First, you change the sand with the motor off. Don't mean to sound silly but you'd be surprised. There is normally a metal band that goes around the body of the filter with a clamp on it, at least mine did. Remove the clamp, take off the top half of the filter body, take out the old sand and replace with new. If memory serves me, there is a special filter for diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is much finer than sand and therefore catches much more impurities. There are other models that have a hole at the top of the filter and you remove the cover plate. You literally have to use your hand and scoop out the old sand. It's been years but the design probably hasn't changed much.

Sep 22, 2009
You cannot use DE in a sand filter.

DE filters can filter out much smaller particles ( and hopefully critters) than a sand filter can remove.

It was explained to me that DE filters are not readily available here because the normal gardener/pool caretakers here would destroy a DE filter the first time they tried to clean it. There are delicate pieces inside a DE filter that need periodic cleaning and maintenance. That said, you can probably find DE filters here if you look, but I have never seen one. Just be prepared to learn how to clean it yourself.

Another option that might work is called a Cartridge filter which are often used in Jacuzzis. Once again, not that easy to find, but it should be possible.

Yes, thanks Windy, I was not aware it was a sand filter! You make a good consultant :)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Again. Thanks for the feedback.

Uffff. The solution to this problem is beginning to sound like it’s going to be a pain in the A$$.

Isn’t there some kind of “magical dust” I can sprinkle in the pool that kills all Critters? …….Yet gentle enough to keep my skin smooth and touchable. :cool:

Sep 22, 2009
N.B. Anaerobic "critters"

Again. Thanks for the feedback.

Uffff. The solution to this problem is beginning to sound like it’s going to be a pain in the A$$.

Isn’t there some kind of “magical dust” I can sprinkle in the pool that kills all Critters? …….Yet gentle enough to keep my skin smooth and silky. :cool:

As I stated above, you need make the water solution of the pool/hot tub, more basic (i.e. pH >7), but not so much that the water feels "slimy". These critters can live in an acidic environment, but not basic.

I have used "home remedy" tricks like adding Pamolive or Dawn liquid to water and then to the pool water. Works well.

Hot tubs make great homes for your anaerobic critters, Toober, so need treat the water immediately after coooling the water after use.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
As I stated above, you need make the water solution of the pool/hot tub, more basic (i.e. pH >7), but not so much that the water feels "slimy". These critters can live in an acidic environment, but not basic.

I have used "home remedy" tricks like adding Pamolive or Dawn liquid to water and then to the pool water. Works well.

Hot tubs make great homes for your anaerobic critters, Toober, so need treat the water immediately after coooling the water after use.

I think I would like to try the home remedy approach before making adjustments to my pool system.

I will just need to add a few items to my shopping list.

1. Litmus Paper
2. Caustic Soda
3. Pamolive

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Sep 22, 2009
I think I would like to try the home remedy approach before making adjustments to my pool system.

I will just need to add a few items to my shopping list.

1. Litmus Paper
2. Caustic Soda
3. Pamolive

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Ok, let's not go overboard on the NaOH. It is a very strong base and can damage capillaries of the eyes, lungs, etc. Try the soap first. Commercially prepared NaOH for pools should ONLY be used, because it is prepared in the appropiate concentractions and quantities, with instructions.

You can also buy a "cheap" pool kit in Ferreteria Americana which comes with a cute little water testing kit, color-coded and everything! Litmus paper can fool the eyes of the non-chemist.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Ok, let's not go overboard on the NaOH. It is a very strong base and can damage capillaries of the eyes, lungs, etc. Try the soap first. Commercially prepared NaOH for pools should ONLY be used, because it is prepared in the appropiate concentractions and quantities, with instructions.

You can also buy a "cheap" pool kit in Ferreteria Americana which comes with a cute little water testing kit, color-coded and everything! Litmus paper can fool the eyes of the non-chemist.

Ha ha. Don?t worry, I was just being over-the-top.

I am a Petroleum Engineer and understand the dangers of Caustic Soda, as it has many applications in my field. I?m also color blind, so the litmus paper does me no good either.

Now that I have an idea of what I may be dealing with, the way forward is easy.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 22, 2009
Ha ha. Don?t worry, I was just being over-the-top.

I am a Petroleum Engineer and understand the dangers of Caustic Soda, as it has many applications in my field. I?m also color blind, so the litmus paper does me no good either.

Now that I have an idea of what I may be dealing with, the way forward is easy.

Thanks for the help.

Toober, you must be rich! Can you crack me some hydrocarbons for my own personal use? Lol

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Toober, are you in SD? There's a pool place on Ortega and Gasset that sells just about every type of cartridge filter known to man, plus all sorts of chemicals. Going north from 27, I think it's the next street after Pastoriza.

They are also very informed on how to deal with your type of situation.

I went by the other day because I had forgotten the name, and now, of course, have forgotten the name once again.

Blue water colored building with SPA in the name. (man, my memory is really going down the toilet!)

Thanks JD. I was hoping that you would chime in with your thoughts.

I'm out of town for a week or so, but will check this place out when I get back home.

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I wanted to update this thread, because I have found a solution that works for me. I don’t think some others will be as comfortable with it.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I tried the easy solutions other posters offered, but was not very inclined to dedicate massive time and effort to this problem. ie. pool chemistry sets and contraptions etc.

I sought help from pool/spa experts recommended, but found the solutions offered to be burdensome.

The pool man in Americana in MegaCentro helped me out with a pretty simple solution.

He said, to get rid of those nasty invisible critters that are biting you in the water, add Cloro to the water and let the filter run for ? hour. He told me to make sure I didn’t add the Cloro during daylight hours because the sun neutralizes the Cloro. :ermm: I am pretty skeptical about this statement, but anyway.

Next step is to add Muriatic Acid and let the filter run for another ? hour. Some of you may not like the idea of adding acid to a pool, that is why I think that not everybody will be comfortable with this solution.

Next step is to add Anti-Algaecide.

This chemical cocktail has killed whatever it was in the water that was biting me.

I hope this helps anyone that has the same problem. :cheeky:

Reactions: AlterEgo