Not open for further replies.

drjma1993

Dec 28, 2009
Hey guys im looking for a song thats stuck in my head the chorus goes:
"que voy hacer amor
yo no me quiero ir
yo quiero estar aqui
contigo soy feliz"

hola mi gente como estan.yo ando buscando una cancion de anthony santos.el coro dice:
"que voy hacer amor
yo no me quiero ir
yo quiero estar aqui
contigo soy feliz

thank you!
Gracias!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This song is a little old.
It is by Antony (not anthony) Santos and the name is Contigo soy Feliz.
Lead singer for Aventura is Anthony Santos

drjma1993

Dec 28, 2009
hey man thanks a bunch..well i always thought it was anthony,everyone say anthony.oh well thanks for the tip.hes my favorite bachatero.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I teach Antony the English for his new style that he's trying to incorporate.
If you heard "The Tide Is High" I taught him the English for that and I had the pleasure of being the one who does the lead in and I say a little in Spanish also in that song. He's a great guy and fun to be around.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
If you heard "The Tide Is High" I taught him the English for that and I had the pleasure of being the one who does the lead in and I say a little in Spanish also in that song. He's a great guy and fun to be around.

I've been a fan of his/bachata since the early 90's and I remember when he was playing in small dominican restaurants in the Heights and dominicans thought bachata was campesino music and not worth listening to..

His music was and still is the best I've heard. I sometimes wish he could go back to the same type he used to play in the 90's, which IMO is considered his best work.

Bit disappointed to hear he's trying out new styles, especially with the Tide is High.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Do you remember an old "bubble gum" song called Sugar Sugar. (70's)
That was going to be his next project with his manager (or x manager)
Raffi Coronado. I told Raffi if he did Sugar Sugar he would be laughed off the stage and that was that, not another word was mentioned. I have been looking for a
70-80's rhythm that he could convert to merengue, which is where he wants to head, and it has been quite a challenge. I do this for him for free of sorts. I just ask for vip treatment at whatever of his concerts I desire to attend. He pays for the up-front table and admittance. He will not pay for the alcohol which is ok because I don't drink.
And...whats wrong with The Tide Is High ? He worked very hard on the English and his rendition was great. IMHO

Sep 22, 2009
...dominicans thought bachata was campesino music and not worth listening to..

I don't think this is accurate Elivs. The "red-light district" history of the Bachata has been its Achilles Heel since inception way back (maybe 1940s, but for sure 1950s). As it was the signature sound of the Caberet lifesyle, it is to-date still frowned upon by Dominicans across all classes of income and levels of education.

The Dominicans from 151 and Broadway to Jerome, Burnside, Grand Concourse, Queens, I don't recall ever classifying it as campesino culture (well, perhaps except for the youth) because they were always aware of its less-than-moral origins.

I also don't know to what year you are referring with the above commentary, but remember, the "innovative" spin that Aventura came onto the scene with in 1999-2000 was a major deterrant for Bachata fans, as the style was so "fashion-foward". Later, and to today they are known for changing the perception of this style music around the world, but, however, still has its advesaries.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Yeah Sugar, Sugar would not be a right song in bachata..

As for The Number One, I bet he did work hard and great for him to fusion this song to The Tide is High, and it doesn't sound bad. The background music helps a lot, it sounds great.

But IMO mixing old pop English songs to bachata remix not only alienates their main audience (most Dominicans haven't heard of Blondie) but you can't dance to this song. I actually feel the last point is more important. I've never heard this song at dance clubs or popular among Dominicans.

If you were to pick old pop songs in English, maybe Staying Alive or Chiquitita (but in spanish, though). Maybe All out of love ? Can't imagine how they would turn out, but in English they're beautiful songs and both Staying Alive and Chiquitita is well known among older Dominicans.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I don't think this is accurate Elivs. The "red-light district" history of the Bachata has been its Achilles Heel since inception way back (maybe 1940s, but for sure 1950s). As it was the signature sound of the Caberet lifesyle, it is to-date still frowned upon by Dominicans across all classes of income and levels of education.

The Dominicans from 151 and Broadway to Jerome, Burnside, Grand Concourse, Queens, I don't recall ever classifying it as campesino culture (well, perhaps except for the youth) because they were always aware of its less-than-moral origins.

I also don't know to what year you are referring with the above commentary, but remember, the "innovative" spin that Aventura came onto the scene with in 1999-2000 was a major deterrant for Bachata fans, as the style was so "fashion-foward". Later, and to today they are known for changing the perception of this style music around the world, but, however, still has its advesaries.

Btw, I currently live in the Heights for many years, since 86. I'm 33. During the early 90's, about in 93/94 I discovered bachata for the first time. I love it, I would listen to Teodoro Reyes, Raulin, Anthony Santos, etc.. At that time, cd's ( my only access to this music) would be limited and carry mainly merengue, because at that time most Dominicans would listen to merengue.

Now, when I would ask about bachata, most people would tell me about its history but would consider it campesino music, because, again, Dominicans weren't that open minded to bachata and it's true.. Raulin, Anthony Santos, Luis Segura, Luis Vargas would play in small ass restaurants while Fernando Villalona, Sergio Vargas, Wilfrido Vargas, etc.. would play at larger venues. Again, bachata was not mainstream, until Aventura began to appear. But for me and for many, bachata already existed but wasn't popular among dominicans until later in the 90's..

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
I have to back-up Elvis on his point about bachata not being well appreciated in the early 90's. I became a big fan of bachata in 1992 when I first listened to Chupadera, Antony Santos' first album that had come out the year before. I remember people (Dominicans) calling me "Bachatero" and it wasn't meant as a compliment. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, outside of Dominican circles were even aware that Bachata existed! I personally know Dominicans from middle class backrounds whose parents forbid them to play bachata music in the house. This seemed to be more true for Dominicans who came from areas outside of Cibao.

The first Antony Santos fiesta that I went to was in a small club. It was a double billing with Raulin Rodriquez. And not a single person stood and watched the band, as they do now. The dance floor was for dancing only. No one paid any mind to band (except me).

As for Waytogo's comment about looking for American songs to adapt. There's nothing wrong with adapting one's style to the changing times. It's the only way to stay current and to stay out front. Antony has been very successful at this. In fact, it's what made him a star to begin with. He departed from the dominant style of the times in 1991 with "Voy pa'lla". He has made many changes since then, and is still making great music. To name a few changes: the heavy base guitar is gone, saxaphones are in, a female back-up singer (Suzy) is in, the tambora is now supplemented with drums and keyboard/piano is in. Finally, bachata has frequently borrowed songs from other genres. Vallenato, salsa, merengue, bolero, and balada songs have been made into Bachata hits. Just look at how successful Anthony's adaptation of "Vete y alejarte de mi" was two years ago.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Do you remember an old "bubble gum" song called Sugar Sugar. (70's)
That was going to be his next project with his manager (or x manager)
Raffi Coronado. I told Raffi if he did Sugar Sugar he would be laughed off the stage and that was that, not another word was mentioned. I have been looking for a
70-80's rhythm that he could convert to merengue, which is where he wants to head, and it has been quite a challenge. I do this for him for free of sorts. I just ask for vip treatment at whatever of his concerts I desire to attend. He pays for the up-front table and admittance. He will not pay for the alcohol which is ok because I don't drink.
And...whats wrong with The Tide Is High ? He worked very hard on the English and his rendition was great. IMHO

I think going towards 70-80's remakes in Bachata rhythm is a huge mistake.
I have all of Antony's CDs and the very best ones are his early ones. I absolutely love them. "Sabor Latino" is the best.
I realize that as an artist gets older, he has to evolve and keep going to keep his audience and just to come up with something fresh.
IMHO, "Llorro" was the last good album, then there were a few popular songs in the next two CDs that became earworms, including my favourite "Y antes de irme".
As for live concerts....the last one I went to (last January) sucked and the one before that wasn't great either.
From now on it's Raulin and Frank Reyes. They always put on super shows.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I have to back-up Elvis on his point about bachata not being well appreciated in the early 90's. I became a big fan of bachata in 1992 when I first listened to Chupadera, Antony Santos' first album that had come out the year before. I remember people (Dominicans) calling me "Bachatero" and it wasn't meant as a compliment. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, outside of Dominican circles were even aware that Bachata existed! I personally know Dominicans from middle class backrounds whose parents forbid them to play bachata music in the house. This seemed to be more true for Dominicans who came from areas outside of Cibao.

The first Antony Santos fiesta that I went to was in a small club. It was a double billing with Raulin Rodriquez. And not a single person stood and watched the band, as they do now. The dance floor was for dancing only. No one paid any mind to band (except me).

As for Waytogo's comment about looking for American songs to adapt. There's nothing wrong with adapting one's style to the changing times. It's the only way to stay current and to stay out front. Antony has been very successful at this. In fact, it's what made him a star to begin with. He departed from the dominant style of the times in 1991 with "Voy pa'lla". He has made many changes since then, and is still making great music. To name a few changes: the heavy base guitar is gone, saxaphones are in, a female back-up singer (Suzy) is in, the tambora is now supplemented with drums and keyboard/piano is in. Finally, bachata has frequently borrowed songs from other genres. Vallenato, salsa, merengue, bolero, and balada songs have been made into Bachata hits. Just look at how successful Anthony's adaptation of "Vete y alejarte de mi" was two years ago.

Thank you ! For a sec.. I thought I was imagining my past experiences.. :)

Anyway, the same goes with merengue tipico. You rarely had people living in NY listening to this genre back in the 90's, but now it's becoming popular among Dominicans and now you can even hear tipico songs in English. Oh boy, now that's another story !

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I worked with Suzy also with her English and she also is a very nice person. The guys in his band are great. When he sang his song The Tide Is High for the first time in La Vega, he got me a table right up front and asked me if I wanted the table on the stage with his crew and I told him no. He called me on stage and we exchanged a few words and I did the lead in for the song I worked with him on. Knowing Antony has been one of the best experiences of my life. He is a perfectionist and I hope I have the opportunity to help him once again. Listen to The Tide Is High, Thats me doing the lead in in English and I say more as the song goes on.......What a Blast !!!!!

drjma1993

Dec 28, 2009
ALL I know is that i love dominican music.and anthony is my favorite musician.he gave bachata new flavor.and to this point NO ONE has been able to take his position a king of bachata.Teodoro,Raulin and frank reyes may have come close at some point.but the truth is that the 90's - 2005 was dominated by antony's music.great person,great musician and a hell of a guitar player.AMEN.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
you teach English?

Forgive me, but I am don't believe you can teach english. Judging from the way you write, I have to doubt that you were able to accurately teach that man how to write or sign in English.

cheers,

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Forgive me, but I am don't believe you can teach english. Judging from the way you write, I have to doubt that you were able to accurately teach that man how to write or sign in English.

cheers,

I really don't care what you believe.
If you know how to use a phone, call the discotheque in Las Vega, ask for the owner, he speaks perfect English. Ask him about Santos's English teacher that sat next to the stage with his friends and was called on stage to say a few words with Santos.....Then stick it a$$ hole.

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And if that isn't enough, ask the same gentleman about the Americano that arrived with his 3 Dominican friends at 8:00 pm and where the first ones there. Then ask him if Santos gave him instructions personally to make sure that I received the best service available. Then, stick it again, a$$hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.