Those bloody metalmen!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They used to come round every now and then, about once a month, with their loudspeaker...Any old iron etc...(in 'minican 'panish)

Now they have become a plague, hundreds of them. Three or four times every day blasting out their uncomprehensible babble and winding up the dogs in our peaceful neighborhood.

They have now taken to helping themselves to car parts that had been just painted and left out in the sun to dry. They are a real pain and disturbing my inner peace. Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?

I'm still seething from the fact that one of them has decided to recycle MY power steering pump pulley (freshly painted) from a 1992 Porsche 968 cabrio. He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
They used to come round every now and then, about once a month, with their loudspeaker...Any old iron etc...(in 'minican 'panish)

Now they have become a plague, hundreds of them. Three or four times every day blasting out their uncomprehensible babble and winding up the dogs in our peaceful neighborhood.

They have now taken to helping themselves to car parts that had been just painted and left out in the sun to dry. They are a real pain and disturbing my inner peace. Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?

I'm still seething from the fact that one of them has decided to recycle MY power steering pump pulley (freshly painted) from a 1992 Porsche 968 cabrio. He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!

I have the same problem here, so why did you leave something like that in arms reach of anybody driving or walking by. I bet you'll never do that again.
They are quite disturbing especially when they start at 7 in the morning. It's not just them, we have that damn screaming BINGO BINGO truck coming by every day.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
bet you have to wait weeks when you want to get rid of some old metal though...lol I had to flag one down

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
, so why did you leave something like that in arms reach of anybody driving or walking by. I bet you'll never do that again.

I'd only left it in the sun to dry off for ten minutes. By the time I'd come back with my cuppa, there it was...gone!

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?

1. Buy a 50' roll of speaker wire.
2. Attach wire to each end of auto part
3. Camouflage wires with palm fronds, dirt, etc.
4. Connect other end to car battery
5. Position digital camera
6. Jiggle wires as Metalman approaches. Take photo of confused face.
7. As he picks up said auto part, connect wire to negative terminal. Snap another photo.
8. Post photos and 'thank you' note to DR1.

Hope this helps.

Chris

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
1. Buy a 50' roll of speaker wire.
2. Attach wire to each end of auto part
3. Camouflage wires with palm fronds, dirt, etc.
4. Connect other end to car battery
5. Position digital camera
6. Jiggle wires as Metalman approaches. Take photo of confused face.
7. As he picks up said auto part, connect wire to negative terminal. Snap another photo.
8. Post photos and 'thank you' note to DR1.

Hope this helps.

Chris
That won't work, it's only 12 volts.

7. Leave wire connected to electric fence controller. Snap another photo as his arms fly high into the air.

I had a problem of our dog climbing over the fence gate between my two houses, hiding over there, then running out the other gate when anyone would open it. It only took the dog 2 times to learn not to jump the fence gate any more.

This worked great also when the neighbor came over and was un-aware of the electrified gate.
Her arms shot into the air just like they do at a football game when they do the 'wave" ;) lol

Don

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!

are you sure it's not your part yur payin for?....:paranoid:

Reactions: waytogo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

7. Leave wire connected to electric fence controller. Snap another photo as his arms fly high into the air.

I had a problem of our dog climbing over the fence gate between my two houses, hiding over there, then running out the other gate when anyone would open it. It only took the dog 2 times to learn not to jump the fence gate any more.

This worked great also when the neighbor came over and was un-aware of the electrified gate.
Her arms shot into the air just like they do at a football game when they do the 'wave" ;) lol

Don

Yea, I was going to say that, 12v aint going to do anything, maybe it might jump start the battery in his watch.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Yea, I was going to say that, 12v aint going to do anything, maybe it might jump start the battery in his watch.

Ok fine. Connect it to the 220 outlet in the laundry room. Bring barbecue sauce.

Sheez I was just trying to scare the guy, not fry him!

Chris

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It is amazing how often these metal people come around our area, they must think there are lots of ladrone living here and they always have new sources of metal to sell.

If it's metal and you want to keep it, don't leave it in reach of people in the street.

Ok fine. Connect it to the 220 outlet in the laundry room. Bring barbecue sauce.

Sheez I was just trying to scare the guy, not fry him!

Chris
The electric fence controller will not fry him, even tho the voltage could be perhaps as high as 5,000 volts. These are the same units they use to control farm animals, very effective.

Works great on people pulling themselves up, trying to peep over my walls. ;) lol

Even the wife got a new reason to use the word "cono" when she grabbed the wrong part of the gate. I had not hooked up the new higher voltage one, so she only got hit with about 2,000 volts.

DON'T use 110, 220 or ANY line voltage, that will fry them !!!!!!!!!
NEVER use ANY thing other then an approved electric fence controller !!!!!!!!!

Don

B

BettyDiamond

Every time I give the men something they come back more often

Redzeddy

Dec 16, 2009

Don

That made me LMAO..hilarious and hopefully helpful..hahahaha :D