Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Those bloody metalmen!

    They used to come round every now and then, about once a month, with their loudspeaker...Any old iron etc...(in 'minican 'panish)

    Now they have become a plague, hundreds of them. Three or four times every day blasting out their uncomprehensible babble and winding up the dogs in our peaceful neighborhood.

    They have now taken to helping themselves to car parts that had been just painted and left out in the sun to dry. They are a real pain and disturbing my inner peace. Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?

    I'm still seething from the fact that one of them has decided to recycle MY power steering pump pulley (freshly painted) from a 1992 Porsche 968 cabrio. He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    They used to come round every now and then, about once a month, with their loudspeaker...Any old iron etc...(in 'minican 'panish)

    Now they have become a plague, hundreds of them. Three or four times every day blasting out their uncomprehensible babble and winding up the dogs in our peaceful neighborhood.

    They have now taken to helping themselves to car parts that had been just painted and left out in the sun to dry. They are a real pain and disturbing my inner peace. Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?

    I'm still seething from the fact that one of them has decided to recycle MY power steering pump pulley (freshly painted) from a 1992 Porsche 968 cabrio. He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!
    I have the same problem here, so why did you leave something like that in arms reach of anybody driving or walking by. I bet you'll never do that again.
    They are quite disturbing especially when they start at 7 in the morning. It's not just them, we have that damn screaming BINGO BINGO truck coming by every day.

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    bet you have to wait weeks when you want to get rid of some old metal though...lol I had to flag one down

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    , so why did you leave something like that in arms reach of anybody driving or walking by. I bet you'll never do that again.
    I'd only left it in the sun to dry off for ten minutes. By the time I'd come back with my cuppa, there it was...gone!

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    bet you have to wait weeks when you want to get rid of some old metal though...lol I had to flag one down
    If you do see one, ask him if he's got a power steering pump pulley for a Porsche!

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas on how one might discourage these very annoying activities?
    1. Buy a 50' roll of speaker wire.
    2. Attach wire to each end of auto part
    3. Camouflage wires with palm fronds, dirt, etc.
    4. Connect other end to car battery
    5. Position digital camera
    6. Jiggle wires as Metalman approaches. Take photo of confused face.
    7. As he picks up said auto part, connect wire to negative terminal. Snap another photo.
    8. Post photos and 'thank you' note to DR1.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrchris74 View Post
    1. Buy a 50' roll of speaker wire.
    2. Attach wire to each end of auto part
    3. Camouflage wires with palm fronds, dirt, etc.
    4. Connect other end to car battery
    5. Position digital camera
    6. Jiggle wires as Metalman approaches. Take photo of confused face.
    7. As he picks up said auto part, connect wire to negative terminal. Snap another photo.
    8. Post photos and 'thank you' note to DR1.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris
    That won't work, it's only 12 volts.

    7. Leave wire connected to electric fence controller. Snap another photo as his arms fly high into the air.

    I had a problem of our dog climbing over the fence gate between my two houses, hiding over there, then running out the other gate when anyone would open it. It only took the dog 2 times to learn not to jump the fence gate any more.

    This worked great also when the neighbor came over and was un-aware of the electrified gate.
    Her arms shot into the air just like they do at a football game when they do the 'wave" lol

    [FONT="ParkAvenue BT"]Don[/FONT]

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He'll probably get 3 pesos for it in scrap, but it's gonna cost me $129 plus postage to Cabarete!


    are you sure it's not your part yur payin for?....

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    That won't work, it's only 12 volts.

    7. Leave wire connected to electric fence controller. Snap another photo as his arms fly high into the air.

    I had a problem of our dog climbing over the fence gate between my two houses, hiding over there, then running out the other gate when anyone would open it. It only took the dog 2 times to learn not to jump the fence gate any more.

    This worked great also when the neighbor came over and was un-aware of the electrified gate.
    Her arms shot into the air just like they do at a football game when they do the 'wave" lol

    [FONT="ParkAvenue BT"]Don[/FONT]
    Yea, I was going to say that, 12v aint going to do anything, maybe it might jump start the battery in his watch.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Yea, I was going to say that, 12v aint going to do anything, maybe it might jump start the battery in his watch.
    Ok fine. Connect it to the 220 outlet in the laundry room. Bring barbecue sauce.

    Sheez I was just trying to scare the guy, not fry him!

    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •