Searchers and helpers register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is an idea sent to me by a poster who is far too modest to claim credit. His idea was to construct a map of locations where DR1ers and the Dominican families of DR1ers live, who would be prepared to help out. This would be for people interested in joining a search team or offering other forms of assistance in the event of another missing person situation.

I don't know enough about the technical side of map construction or even google type maps with markers and it could be that a list, similar to the Blood Donors register, would achieve the same objective. Suggestions welcome.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea for people to identify their exact address on a map, but general location or location they were prepared to search in, might be useful info. So also might the type of assistance to be offered for example: organising a search team, providing transport, acting as central co-ordinator (by phone or computer), liaising with Dominican networks (meaning the Dominican helpers in this register/list who are prepared to hang around the barrios/key locations and pick up useful chatter. Has to be a Dominican doing this, expats would stand out a mile).

Such a list/register would need to be kept current. No point in finding your search organiser for a particular area has left the DR & moved to another location on the day when an emergency does occur. And it should be understood that this is totally voluntary, no pressure on anyone to join in. And it should also be understood that undertaking such tasks can be physically and emotionally draining.

If this is an idea worth pursuing, could we brainstorm it a bit to get everyone's views? Maybe add other headings to the list above of the types of jobs needing to be done at a time like this?

Thanks for your time in reading this. There has been a lot of acrimony posted one way & another. Let's pull something positive out of it. :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
nice idea.

an open google map, with a person responsible for managing each city. they'd review the people in each city every 3-6 months, pinging them to see if they're still in the same location and willing to respond in an emergency. we'd borrow a litlte from wikipedia for the model. to really make it work, you could make it focus on providing the most assistance to people who signed up to contribute -- that way a LOT of people will be on board.

Google Maps

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I would think a facebook group for expats would be a good idea too, so that we all could be reached in the event of an emergency. There are a few who don't read DR1 and it could get the word out quicker.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is an idea sent to me by a poster who is far too modest to claim credit. His idea was to construct a map of locations where DR1ers and the Dominican families of DR1ers live, who would be prepared to help out. This would be for people interested in joining a search team or offering other forms of assistance in the event of another missing person situation.

I don't know enough about the technical side of map construction or even google type maps with markers and it could be that a list, similar to the Blood Donors register, would achieve the same objective. Suggestions welcome.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea for people to identify their exact address on a map, but general location or location they were prepared to search in, might be useful info. So also might the type of assistance to be offered for example: organising a search team, providing transport, acting as central co-ordinator (by phone or computer), liaising with Dominican networks (meaning the Dominican helpers in this register/list who are prepared to hang around the barrios/key locations and pick up useful chatter. Has to be a Dominican doing this, expats would stand out a mile).

Such a list/register would need to be kept current. No point in finding your search organiser for a particular area has left the DR & moved to another location on the day when an emergency does occur. And it should be understood that this is totally voluntary, no pressure on anyone to join in. And it should also be understood that undertaking such tasks can be physically and emotionally draining.

If this is an idea worth pursuing, could we brainstorm it a bit to get everyone's views? Maybe add other headings to the list above of the types of jobs needing to be done at a time like this?

Thanks for your time in reading this. There has been a lot of acrimony posted one way & another. Let's pull something positive out of it. :)

I know its good to be prepared in case of if.....but is this a portent or something?:paranoid:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Excellent idea Lambada and kudos to the anonymous person behind the suggestion.

I hope that this will come to fruition if for nothing more than "insurance". I sincerely hope that it wont need to be accessed in the near or distant future.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I would think a facebook group for expats would be a good idea too, so that we all could be reached in the event of an emergency. There are a few who don't read DR1 and it could get the word out quicker.

And a few of us who dont do Facebook ;)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The basic idea among expat friends may be a good one.
With no personal insult directed to anyone on DR1 I do not think a message board is the proper medium to accomplish the intended good service.
All one has to do is to look at what a fiasco has just passed on message boards. There are far too many personalities, opinions and rumors involved. All of these factors only hinder a true investigation.
Productive investigations and searches are best left to the professionals.
I think any expat living there can do what is recommended by thier own home countries and register with the consulars and embassy. They would be the first to be notified in case of an emergency instead of an expat on a message board.
My post is not to challenge or dismiss any of the efforts of the posters of DR1. In the end it was not them who anything to do with the outcome of the present story.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
For one reason as to where my opinion comes from please re-read Matilda's post.
She knows from what she speaks.
I too have been involved in an international "sensational" media storm and quite frankly I am glad that it happened before I belonged to any message board. I had enough problems dealing with it without adding to the mix a group of hundreds of people who do not know me or the true story.
I am thinking of posting about my story in order that some of you can learn the other side of "strange" stories. Like Matilda, my story ended many years ago but still effects me to this day.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I posted my story (with a moral) in the general section of this message board. I find it interesting that it was read 174 times so far but no regular poster has a reaction to my moral. I also find it interesting that noone responded to Matilda's post. Her post has a moral too. Sorry to keep making references to you Matilda but I think perhaps you and I may be the only two posters (aside from those close to the source)who "get" how life changing the posts of those feeling the need to be a part of the story are. Matilda, If you would prefer for me not to refer to you just say the word.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
The basic idea among expat friends may be a good one.
With no personal insult directed to anyone on DR1 I do not think a message board is the proper medium to accomplish the intended good service.
All one has to do is to look at what a fiasco has just passed on message boards. There are far too many personalities, opinions and rumors involved. All of these factors only hinder a true investigation.
Productive investigations and searches are best left to the professionals.
I think any expat living there can do what is recommended by thier own home countries and register with the consulars and embassy. They would be the first to be notified in case of an emergency instead of an expat on a message board.
My post is not to challenge or dismiss any of the efforts of the posters of DR1. In the end it was not them who anything to do with the outcome of the present story.
I sorry you went through this horrible experience dulce and you did an amazing job it seems getting through it, alone with only a few friends. You're a valued member of the DR1 community but I have to disagree with you.

I've witnessed members of DR1 looking out for others before, searching for people, (pets even). I think social networking using technology has a role play in getting the word out and supporting people, just as good old-fashioned community involvement does with relationships with shopkeepers, neighbours, associations etc. I believe real security comes when you have great family, friends, neighbours, community, government and good policing. Having a network of expats with real names and contact information would be good and might even help people become more integrated with the community at large. There's nothing to say they won't search for missing Dominicans in their communities. Look at all the good work that has been done for strangers through DR1.

Contacting family, getting a photo to the media, talking to the community, that's very valuable for someone living alone in the DR in addition to consular support (IF that can be counted on at all). I'd like to think that at least you would have had some support from people on DR1 when you were going through this nightmare you described -- not from sockpuppets but from real people who aren't afraid to get involved.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Lambada
I do not need a lesson on investigations in the DR. I was living there when my story was happening. I am quite familar with the police in the DR. I dealt with the local police and others all the way up to the TOP police and FBI.
I also am quite aware of the corruption that can and does happen at times all the way to the top.
My experience with all authorities in the DR was professional and respectful and in detail. It was scary because of the horror stories that I heard. In my case those horror stories were unfounded and only added extra stress to me.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Margaret
I agree that a network of friends, neighbors etc. outside of professionals can be crucial in helping. In my other post I wrote that 400 people physically searched the area where a man went missing. Those people were appreciated. Tons of work can go on behind the scene in these cases without being damaging.
I do not agree that a public message board is the right place for this networking to take place. There are too many media and attention seeking personalities involved and too much BS which hurts the true investigation.
If it were me missing there may be some people from DR1 to help BUT not ON the message board and NOT in public.
DR1 is a great community with some good people. After reading and following the D'Arcy's story the list is shorter of people from DR1 that I would even want to know that I was missing..never mind have them pretend to care enough about me to help. I see a huge majority of self serving people needing to be "involved" and to appear "important". It has certainly showed the true colors of some.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The idea is good to set up a network but it should be segmented. For example expats in the north form a group and the other parts of the country form groups there. Set up neighborhood watches. Make lists of contacts and give to close and trusted friends.Do not forget to get those lists to the embassy and consulates of your own country. The list goes on and on but ALL this should be done OFF from any message board. How many members here? Seriously do all those people need to know everybodys personal information?
I feel strongly about this because of my history. There is just too much that can go wrong with so much info made public. Certainly more harm than good.
With all that said DR1 serves many other valuable services to all types of people.
After the recent BS I would only venture to guess that Robert is not interested in being responsible for every member. Think about it he has just been put through the ringer himself.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I agree an open forum might not be the way to do it. Perhaps a Google group or a Yahoo group where the membership is reviewed and accepted and posts are moderated. They also have email notifications whenever a post is published.

Here are some Google groups for the DR already in existence. (We wouldn't want to limit the search to one gender, would we... ISOC.. :/ )

Google Groups

Everyone would have a google account and they would create and maintain their profile.

The other option would be for DR1 to set up a private expat only area. Robert was experimenting with Google wave, maybe that's a technology that can be used. I've used Yahoo groups.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Please keep all these very valuable suggestions coming & hopefully we will arrive at a point where we either decide to organise something, or not, depending on the outcome.

Certainly no 'lesson' intended dulce. Did it come over like that? That would be the very last thing I would want. I'm glad you had plenty of police co-operation in your very upsetting experience, but can only comment that was not really the case in relation to searching for D'Arcy. I can understand why the police would be reluctant until they know that a crime has been committed. I also understand that the attention focussed on D'Arcy's disappearance serves to evoke for others the traumatic experiences they too have had and I would like to thank you for your courage in sharing your story.

Are there others who would like to contribute ideas based on the notion of some sort of database of potential helpers in the event of a future occurrence of this sort?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think it's an interesting idea. All thru the search phase of D'Arcy's disappearance, I felt we needed to be able to discuss theories, ideas, speculations etc freely. For this we'd however need a venue which is detached from business interest.
Yes, we need a register... not just for MIA cases -as luckily do not have too many of these- but for general emergencies like the need of blood, referrals to qualified medical help and so forth.
It would have to big so complete so to keep -excuse my simple choice of words- people "entertained" enough on it so that the "Site" does not disappear for the lack of interest after the "heat" around a case like the most recent one dissipates.

If I can assist, I'll gladly do. If I can be part of it, I'll gladly consider, If I may, I'd thankfully just use it.

... J-D.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
what I have witnessed is following: During the D'arcy's saga, the people who were involved deeply in locating Darcy (example: Curt, sandy, sue alan etc) were later actually accused of being the kidnappers. I know for fact sue, curt and sandy etc spent nights putting up fliers and talking to people all over the town. Look how they are rewarded? No one even informed them about darcy's return. These folks found it out via dr1. No one even talks to them now from Darcy's damage control group. Did Darcy actually thank them? Even picked up the phone and called them?
So the lesson learned is simple: do not get involved.
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.