my story of a missing man

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Here is a short version of my story:
In September 1998 I moved to Santo Domingo. Ten days after my arrival Hurricane George arrived. Eight days after I arrived in SD a man that worked at the same company as me disappeared. He went out for lunch from work and was never seen again. His disappearance resulted in 400 people who worked with us doing a ground search. The area where he went missing was across the street from where we worked. He often walked there. The same people also did a research of this area a year or so later.
Next comes the part that effected my life from 1998 until 2000. My coworkers and so-called friends whom I had worked with for 20 years all started feeling the need to be a part of ?the story?. This is when the rumors started. I won?t go into ALL of the rumors here because there were too many of them. The stories got larger and larger the longer the disappearance went unsolved.
I compare it to the game we used to play when we were kids?you know the one where you stand in a line and the first person whispers a secret into the ear of the next person and each person continues to repeat the secret?by the time it gets to the end of the line?. the secret has nothing to do with what the first person in line said. In the end it is all in the imagination of hearing what you want to hear to make the secret bigger and better.
The first rumor was that the missing man was my boyfriend and that he went to meet and live with me in the DR. Trust me when I tell you that the rumors exploded from every direction after that.
How did this effect me AND my family and friends?
We were all questioned starting with the local police then the state police then the FBI. All of this questioning went on from 1998 until 2000. Oh yeah and don?t forget the private detectives investigations of me.
I was on the FBI list of suspects (yes they DO consider you a suspect) and person of interest until the man was found. I had to notify them whenever I moved, traveled or changed my phone number.
The ?story? of the search for the missing man continued to be in the local newspapers near my hometown, newspapers in the DR and on TV in both countries for all those years. Just when I thought it was going to calm down it would be in another newspaper or on another missing persons show on TV.
How did it effect my life?
I was recognized as a ?wanted suspect? and could not get a job! BIG PROBLEM
It was not know if the man was dead or alive which caused more rumors that he was dead and that I murdered him. BIG PROBLEM.
And so on and so on??..
How did I handle it?
I responded to the press when I felt the need for some damage control to me.
I told NOBODY who did not know about it already to avoid more publicity.
If people did know about it I told them my ?truth?.
What was the final outcome of the ?story??
A hunter found the missing man in a swamp in the year 2000. He had drowned in the swamp in the very same area that was searched by hundreds of people at the time he disappeared. His death was determined to be an accidental drowning.
Thank God this story is over and is history for me, my family, friends, and most important it is over for this poor man?s friends and family. I can not speak for them but I am sure it was a LONG nightmare.
Hopefully by sharing my story here some people will ?GET IT? that the ?NEED? to be a part of the story is in my opinion just plain wrong.
I understand all about curiosity but we also need to let the professionals take care of ?the truth?. AND the solutions to such curiosities DO NOT come from a message board on the internet.

Littleblacksambo

Dec 29, 2009
But if he had been found alive?

So in your unfortunate case, if he had been later found alive and gave a fantastic story to explain his absence, would you still insist that nobody speak of this event except authorities? D'Arcy's story was well publicized earlier and it seems disingenuous to now say it is off limits to discussion. The true litmus test in the D'Arcy case will be if he completes his purchase of Curt and Sandi's business. That will answer it all.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If the man in my case had been found alive I would still want it to be the authorities to investigate and report (if deemed necessary)if the man in my case had been found alive.
It was not the missing mans fault that my name and reputation got dragged into his story. The point of my telling my story here is that the outside rumors and speculations have nothing to do with how those living the story are effected.
If the man in my story was found alive I would have been pleasantly surprised for his family and friends even though many of them were the ones accusing me of wrong doing.
D"Arcy will live out HIS own ending to HIS story and in the final chapter someday he and his family will move on. The story will become HISstory.

Littleblacksambo

Dec 29, 2009
Consistent medium of information.

It seems logical to me that the same medium, in this case primarily DR1.com, that was used to investigate the D'Arcy event would be the same medium to "report" the results. I am not really sure what "authorities" that you refer to as things do work differently in the Republica.

Once again, D'Arcy was not the only victim of this "crime?". Put yourself in Curt and Sandi's shoes for a minute. Will D'Arcy complete his purchase of the business as he agreed??

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Dulce,

That was a most appropriate story. Thanks for adding perspective and objectivity to what was becoming an out of control spin-off. There appear to be more than one victim in all this and the sooner the authorities sort it all out, the sooner they can all get back to normalcy.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
DUH! I WAS in thier shoes.
Since your agenda as a sock is to stir the sh*t I am done responding to you and your agenda.
DR1 is the best message board for imformation about the DR. It is not, nor is any other message board, the place to solve real life mysteries.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
oops greydead you posted your response before mine got posted. My response was written to littleblacksambo sock.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
de nada

oops greydead you posted your response before mine got posted. My response was written to littleblacksambo sock.

I didn't respond the first time I read the OP because it really should stand alone as it really does help those of us who've never been in the middle of something like this understand how far reaching the damages are.....but then, well....you know....somebody just HAD to throw their 2 pesos at it:tired:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
grey
Thank you for your comments.
I think more people have not responded because they feel guilty for posting false BS in the current hot topic.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
grey
Thank you for your comments.
I think more people have not responded because they feel guilty for posting false BS in the current hot topic.

Some of us didn't see this thread. While I realize that this subject is verboten there are some lessons learnt that haven't been address but since the goal is maintaining the warm and fuzzies I will let it go. While my interest in the other incident was purely voyeuristic there is an undercurrent of sleaze masked in righteous indignation that was revealed in the reaction that I, as frequent traveler to the DR, will take as very educational.

I am sorry about what happened to you but there were things done that goes beyond this message board that involved real people that hasn't and probably will not be properly addressed. So for those of us who are casual observers who are not invested in protecting the reputation of one particular individual it is illuminating what people are willing to do to obfuscate in an attempt to circle the wagons.

While we are sharing personal stories, I was abducted at gunpoint in another Latin American country so I was prepared to be sympathetic but BS is BS and I will not feel guilty saying so. And you know what, it was shared on a message board such as this one as a warning to others and I have no problem letting others know what happened.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Here is a short version of my story:
In September 1998 I moved to Santo Domingo. Ten days after my arrival Hurricane George arrived. Eight days after I arrived in SD a man that worked at the same company as me disappeared. He went out for lunch from work and was never seen again. His disappearance resulted in 400 people who worked with us doing a ground search...........
This happened in the U.S. while you lived in the D.R.???????
I'm confused about exactly where YOU are and where he was.
You did a ground search with 400 people while in Santo Domingo?

Next comes the part that effected my life from 1998 until 2000. My coworkers and so-called friends whom I had worked with for 20 years all started feeling the need to be a part of ?the story?. This is when the rumors started. I won?t go into ALL of the rumors here because there were too many of them. The stories got larger and larger the longer the disappearance went unsolved.......
Again, if you left the company, why are they co-workers?
And I thought you moved to the D.R?

The first rumor was that the missing man was my boyfriend and that he went to meet and live with me in the DR. Trust me when I tell you that the rumors exploded from every direction after that.
You are in the D.R., he was not?
This happened in the U.S. while you were in the D.R.

We were all questioned starting with the local police then the state police then the FBI. All of this questioning went on from 1998 until 2000. Oh yeah and don?t forget the private detectives investigations of me.
The local police, state police and the FBI questioned you in the D.R.?
I was on the FBI list of suspects (yes they DO consider you a suspect) and person of interest until the man was found. I had to notify them whenever I moved, traveled or changed my phone number.
They control you even though you lived in the D.R.?

That's it, I'm done with reading this story..............
Just like the OTHER one, too many holes.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm confused about exactly where YOU are and where he was.
You did a ground search with 400 people while in Santo Domingo?

And I thought you moved to the D.R?

This happened in the U.S. while you were in the D.R.

That's it, I'm done with reading this story..............
Just like the OTHER one, too many holes.

Some people make it a hobby to find "holes" in other person's story, it is good to always think of the other as "suspicious".

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
xamaicano, I am sorry to hear of your past troubles and glad to see that you are here to tell the story.

SantiagoDR , Your response is the reason I am grateful that I did not belong to a message board at the time of my story. I would not have posted it for more people to rip me apart even if I had belong to one at the time
Yes he disappeared 8 days after I moved to SD.
400 people that worked at the place I HAD worked at until I moved and he still worked there and lived in USA.

They were (had been) my coworkers for 20 years up until I moved.

I was in SD he was in USA. Rumors were that he secretly moved to DR to be with me.

Yes, all local(US town and state) police questioned me by phone while I was in the DR. The local police (DR) and FBI (from the states and DR) questioned me in person in the DR.
My story is over in the press and on tv and it is over here. I hope you were amused for a minute here. Any more questions Columbo? Have a good day in paradise.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Hopefully by sharing my story here some people will ?GET IT? that the ?NEED? to be a part of the story is in my opinion just plain wrong.
I understand all about curiosity but we also need to let the professionals take care of ?the truth?. AND the solutions to such curiosities DO NOT come from a message board on the internet.

But DR1, and its members, were DEFINATELY part of this story. DR1 was actively used as a tool by Darcy's inner circle. They were trying to generate as much publicity as possible, and DR1 members were encouraged to talk about it, and contact other media sources to keep it in public view.

Some donated money. Some donated time. Some searched hospitals. Some prayed. And most people I know here were talking about it (which is what the inner circle wanted).

Then suddenly we were told by the inner circle not to talk about it. We were told to "wait until the investigation is completed". Some members of the inner circle said they would have plenty to say when the investigation was completed, insinuating there was much more to this story.

The investigation was then officially closed (a fact confirmed by Darcy's brother), and Robert opened a thread to wrap things up. He posted details that he had been withholding while the investigation was open. But for whatever reason, the inner circle (and those that are now trying to distance themselves from the inner circle, but clearly had at least been doing alot of the PR for the inner circle) decided not to participate.

The inner circle made this a public story, but apparently it wasn't convenient for them anymore. You can't blame DR1 or it's members for anything that happened here.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Yes thank you dulce, but If I may be so bold as to say this story should be put to rest, last week was enough.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yes thank you dulce, but If I may be so bold as to say this story should be put to rest, last week was enough.

Yes, it should have stayed at rest, it evidently was resurrected for one purpose only.
And of course "NO ONE" is supposed to question the story teller's motives.
Next comes the part that effected my life from 1998 until 2000.

I told NOBODY who did not know about it already to avoid more publicity.

Just when I thought it was going to calm down... YOU resurrected it on DR1 !

His death was determined to be an accidental drowning.
Sometimes even the police make a mistake - was it really accidental?
Why was he in a swamp alone?

I'm still open to believing D'Arcy's story, but not with what has been told so far.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I ask the moderators to please close the thread now.
I posted the story for people to see the moral in it. Nothing positive will come in any futher discussions. My story ended years ago and to keep the thread open would only drag up more entertainment of the D'Arcy story. If you all want to be amused by his story then look at the you tube video and join that discussion please.

Status
Not open for further replies.