My 'backpacking honeymoon': Santo Domingo + Samana or Jarabacoa

Daveyboy

Dec 30, 2009
Hi All,

My Fiance and I are getting married at a Punta Cana AI resort in early January with some close friends and family. We will then be staying an extra week afterwards to see more of the DR. We are not AI types and are only staying at one because it makes sense for the wedding and our guests, but we want to get a little authentic taste of the DR with our 2nd week. We both have quite abit of backpacking experience but since we will have just got married, we won't be 'roughing it' quite as much as usual (i.e. staying at mid range instead of hostels and having an occasional treat at a nicer restaurant and maybe taking a flight for convenience). Also, as background, I speak some Spanish (although I'm rusty).

We're excited to spend some time in Santo Domingo but we'd also like to see something else as well. After doing a little research (but really just looking thru my Lonely Planet for an hour or so and abit of online browsing) I am leaning towards Las Galeras/Samana for 2 or 3 nights after spending 3 or 4 nights in the capital. It seems like a better choice for us than Cabarete, since I read that it is quieter while still having things to do. Is this a good choice? Do you have any other suggestions of where we should spend the 2nd part of our week? While we do like a nice beach as much as anyone else, it's not completely necessary since we'll have had the week in PC. We also like to party abit too, but would prefer to mingle with some locals rather than see almost all tourists.

On the other hand, I just read a little on Jarabacoa. Any thoughts on that for 3 days instead of the North? My fiance loves waterfalls, we both like rafting and small hikes, and the limited info in the LP makes it sound like it's not too touristy but also fun. Hmmmm, the more I think of this option the more I like it.

Alternatively, should we just stick with SD for the full 6 or 7 nights, with a couple of day trips?

Some other questions:

-I'm thinking we'll head from PC to SD first and then further north. It'd be nice to fly back from the North to PC (where we need to catch our flight back home from), but Takeoff only seems to have flights between Samana and Punta Cana on Fridays. Do any other airlines have reasonable flights that leave on Tuesdays or Wednesday mornings?

If we are in Samana around January 17-20th, is there a good chance we will see whales? I read that this is barely the beginning of the whale watching season.

-we'd like to see a baseball game while there. Can we do so in SD at that time....or is it worth doing a day trip to San Pedro de Macoris (I read about it in the LP)?

-any other suggestions are welcome, especially for things to do in and around SD (e.g. romantic yet cheap restaurants and places to go).

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......We're excited to spend some time in Santo Domingo but we'd also like to see something else as well...........

On the other hand, I just read a little on Jarabacoa. Any thoughts on that for 3 days instead of the North? My fiance loves waterfalls, we both like rafting and small hikes, and the limited info in the LP makes it sound like it's not too touristy but also fun...........

Alternatively, should we just stick with SD for the full 6 or 7 nights, with a couple of day trips?.......

any other suggestions are welcome, especially for things to do in and around SD (e.g. romantic yet cheap restaurants and places to go).

Hello and welcome,

I think a few nights in Santo Domingo would be plenty. Santo Domingo is my favorite city but for a tourist 6 or 7 nights would be a bit too much. You can spend a few nights in SD and take a bus to Jarabacoa. Jarabacoa is a very small quiet town. Since you and your wife are the outdoor type I think you will enjoy Jarabacoa. I have been to two waterfalls in Jarabacoa, one by horseback and the other a nice leisurely walk. I enjoyed both.

Take a look at the following links which may help in your decision making.

dr1guide | Santo Domingo | Dominican Republic

Colonial Zone Guide, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

RANCHO BAIGUATE - The Adventure Center in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic - River Rafting, Canyoning, Pico Duarte Tour, Horesback Riding with summer camp and lodging.

HOTEL GRAN JIMENOA

Daveyboy

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks bigbird. I am leaning towards Jarabacoa. It sounds like organized excursions are necessary...while I like the idea of being able to do things without a guide, it's worth it if the destination is cool (e.g. big waterfall, or good rafting). Is the town itself somewhat interesting? The LP mentions that at night the locals hang out in bars/stores around the parque central. That sounds like fun.

Thanks again,

Dave

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks bigbird. I am leaning towards Jarabacoa. It sounds like organized excursions are necessary...while I like the idea of being able to do things without a guide, it's worth it if the destination is cool (e.g. big waterfall, or good rafting). Is the town itself somewhat interesting? The LP mentions that at night the locals hang out in bars/stores around the parque central. That sounds like fun.

Thanks again,

Dave

Jarabacoa is a small, small, small town so parque central is small, small, small...........get my drift? Don't get me wrong as I enjoy Jarabacoa, but don't expect anything grand and you won't be disappointed. Jarabacoa is perfect if you have no specific agenda and just want to take it easy for a few days.

You can send cobraboy a PM as he lives in Jarabacoa and can better inform you on things to do.

A couple of older posts of mine:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/central/75400-photos-baiguate-waterfall-via-horseback.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/central/88053-these-hotels-jarabacoa-better.html (see post #9)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would do only one day in Santo Domingo- Colonial city for the history
(love the architecture) then take Caribe Tours to Samana- make choice of Las Terrenas or Las Galerias - I like both places ( Villa Serena is nice but it is expensive, but romantic with a private beach) Las Terrenas has more choices for both mid-range hotels and more restaurants. I would spent 3 days there and then head to Jarabacoa and book a trip with Rancho Baiguate - truly professional company, then explore Jarabacoa for the next day. Jarabacoa has 50,000 people so although not with the amenities of a simular sized place in North America there are a number of different options for eating....etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a side note there will only be baseball in Santo Domingo, La Romana and San Francisco de Macoris. You need to see the calendar for dates and places. It is worththe effort.

You could email Kim Bedall who is the Samana guru vis a vis whale watching, she will give you the straight infor on that.

Have a good time,

HB

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Jarabacoa, Gran Jimenoa, Rancho Baiguate...don't worry about the "guides" they're not overbearing...in fact they're cool!

ENJOY!

Daveyboy

Dec 30, 2009
Great, thanks everyone! This is a tough decision. Both Samana and Jarabacoa are good options...but sounds like apples and oranges. We're going to wait until after our week in Punta Cana, then head to Santo Domingo for 3 nights and decide which we're in the mood for while we're there.

Happy New year!

Dave

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I would pass on the capital city for a honeymoon.

I love Las Galeras and you would have a great time at any hotel there. My favorite is Todo Blanco, but there are other great ones that I keep meaning to try. Playa Rincon would be great for your honeymoon. There are plenty of day trips. The waterfall. Samana for whales.

You will not regret it.

Keep us posted.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
As far as white water rafting in Jarabacoa, it depends on what you've done before. I went with a friend - we've both done Class IV & V rapids before and we were disappointed. The rafting itself was only 2 hours. The guides did most of the paddling. Other, less experienced people really enjoyed it. The area around Jarabacoa is beautiful and worth it from the standpoint of scenery. Just depends on what you really want to see and do. I personally don't think Cabarete is too much of a party scene - it has one at night but it's pretty mellow during the day (it's not like other tourist party spots in the US or Mexico). Great place to learn wind surfing or kiting if you want to be active.

Aug 21, 2007
That place looks beautiful!!! The views alone would be worth it! Do you mind my asking how much it was per night and how far it was from santo domingo?

Thanks for the link !!

Cheers
Sara

The website quotes $35 per night for single or double, includes breakfast. I would send an inquiry from the website and check, as prices might have gone up a bit.

I would imagine that it is 3 - 4 hours from Santo Domingo, but maybe someone else on the board can give better information about that.

The only drawback that I know of is that due to the conditions of the road getting there, it is not as desirable if there have been days of rains.

Lindsey