Small moto to rent or purchase

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Greeting everyone!

This forum is a definite must read for anyone considering moving to the DR or spending any serious time here. Kudos!

I am looking for a small 125 or 150 to rent for a week or two. We are at Orilla Del Mar in Caberete and would like some advice on a reputable place to rent and possible purchase a small "non flashy" scooter or moto. When I say "non flashy", I mean the kind of bike that would not scream out "Hello Gringo!" if parked on the street. Not looking to pas anyone, pull wheelies, carry 5 people, or ride off road, so your basic fat seat step through would be perfect.

I have read about the rental scams and plan to take many photos of the machine and keep it in view at all times when I rent.... thanks for the info DR1!

Out of curiosity, what would be a reasonable price for a Vespa style scooter in used but good working order? We are not here full time (yet), so it will have to live indoors for a few months at a time.

I have also heard that licensing is a must now, even though we will most likely never venture out of Caberete on it.

Cheers... feliz anos!
Brad

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Funny - while I was researching small motos and scooters here, I heard the term "pasola", which seems to be another name for scooter. According to Wiki, it is also a bloody game where opponents on horses spill each others blood...

"Pasola is a game played by throwing wooden spears to the opponent while riding a horse. The game is played by two different groups of men from different clans or tribes. It use to end up in a bloody game when the wooden spear hit the bare flesh of the participant. In the Sundanese ancient beliefs, the spilled blood will fertilize the land and multiply the output of the paddy."

..... so fitting during a Dominican Republic rush hour!

Thought that was ironic.
Brad

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You can rent Yamaha 100cc scooters here for $30-35 U.S and it's a great way to travel but do drive defensively and assume no one sees you.

No need for a DR license and the renters don't ask for one, but be prepared to pay a cash deposit or let them hold your passport.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Try Easy Rider. Downtown Cabarete. German guy. Good equipment. Very honest. Has been there for like 20 years if memory serves. I rented from him for like 5 years. I finally did go out and buy a used bike last year, and I keep it in storage when I am not there. I have only been through one cycle of this strategy, but it seems to work OK for my purposes.

The downside to owning your own is you have to deal with problems if\when it breaks down (especially if you buy something cheap) like finding a mechanic you can trust, getting in line to get yours fixed, trying to figure out if you are getting ripped off, etc.

You also need to buy insurance, change the title (this can be optional, especially on cheap bikes, but cutting corners can come back to bite you here), and if you get into legal trouble or an accident you will have to figure out who to get hooked up with to help you, etc (something the rental guy can help you with). BTW, everyone goes to jail here if there is an accident (regardless of fault, especially if there is a significant injury).

The upside is it is a fair amount cheaper if you are going to be staying for a while. And there are a fair amount of surfer dudes on limited funds here that just buy something cheap, and budget in downtime (and push time to the mechanic).

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
You can rent Yamaha 100cc scooters here for $30-35 U.S and it's a great way to travel but do drive defensively and assume no one sees you.

No need for a DR license and the renters don't ask for one, but be prepared to pay a cash deposit or let them hold your passport.

But always take a photocopy of your passport before handing it over. ;)

BlackRainbow

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
But always take a photocopy of your passport before handing it over. ;)

BlackRainbow

Never give your Passport to a rental agency, give them the copy. If they say no find another agency. You will find one who will take the photo copy, trust me.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

$30-$35/day?

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
If I remember correctly, I think I just gave the Easy Rider guy a copy of my passport and my US drivers license.

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Thanks for all of the advice. I guess coming from an Ontario city where I drove a motorcycle and felt like I had a target painted on my back is a good thing! Had a small 150 for a month here last year and it felt great.

I was seriously considering importing my homebuilt electric scooter here, but I would have to acquire 4 large batteries here and am not sure about that one.

Will probably check out Easy Rider, thanks.
Brad

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Easy Rider in Cabarete

This place is located next to Iguana Mama, and the owner is a nice, helpful
German guy named Josef. He also sells excursions/tours. I haven't rented a scooter there, but I have rented cars.
Just last week, I rented a small car for $35. It was fine for four people.
He made a photocopy of my passport and driver's license (and returned the copy when I turned in the car). No hassle, very reasonable.

mcapo

Sep 1, 2009
Small Moto

Seabreeze in Sosua rents scooters- rented one a couple of months ago-I believe it was ~$20.00 a day. You give them your drivers license and they keep it in the hotel safe-much better than leaving your passport (never do)with a small scooter rental place (at least this makes me feel safer). Additional perk - if you are planning to have a little too much evening fun in town, you can ride scooter in -leave @ Seabreeze-enjoy evening -take a taxi home and come back and pick up in AM if you've rented it for a week. Be safe and don't advise riding @ night.

Feb 7, 2007
Funny - while I was researching small motos and scooters here, I heard the term "pasola", which seems to be another name for scooter. According to Wiki, it is also a bloody game where opponents on horses spill each others blood...
That would be passola

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can BUY a new scooter for the cost of less than 2 months rental.

They aren't that hard to maintain.