Need info on Wind Telecom in the D.R.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience doing business with a tv cable or satellite company in Santo Domingo called Wind telecom.
I was in the capital today and did a little shopping in Plaza Lama. There is a booth set up there with a young man representing Wind telecom with tv programming service. He also said it was satellite and not cable. At first he said it covers the whole of Santiago and the programming sheet had everything you could want for English channels. For 1500 DP per month there was everything included except adult, which I didn't want. I kept asking him are you sure it is satellite and he kept saying yes, it is wireless. He wanted 1 month up front which he said I would pay at the bank inside. He then checked the service in my area and said sorry, no signal there. If this is satellite, wouldn't there be service for all of Santiago? Would appreciate some clarification from someone in the know. Thank you

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is really odd. Wind TV was promoting their business here in Santiago and I even went to their office on la carr turistica in Gurabo. Maybe they closed it down. I called a local Santiago # I found online but got a message because of the holiday.

829-947-3000

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This is really odd. Wind TV was promoting their business here in Santiago and I even went to their office on la carr turistica in Gurabo. Maybe they closed it down. I called a local Santiago # I found online but got a message because of the holiday.

829-947-3000

I would love to get there service here. I am 1 mile from the Monument in an old established area. You would think there was more to offer here but a rep from Claro told me the problem was there were no fibre optic lines run yet in El En Suano.
I have Star cable now and I am sooooo tired of watching virtually only CSI shows, over and over and over.....

Maxed Out

Mar 3, 2010
I am living in Puerto Plata (Cofemba), and when I was in Santo Domingo, I saw the booth for WIND Telecom. There was a provider in Montreal, Canada, called Look TV, they used the same technology (Multichannel Multipoint Distribution System). It works very well, from what I remember. It is a Microwave based technology, higher frequencies than cellular.

As a side note, WIND Telecom, is a very interesting company. They are the only provider of WiMax. Right now they only have up to 2Mbps service, but still very interesting.

So with all that said/written, I hope this answered your question, although much later than you would have liked.