Friends in the DR are gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
True friends in the DR are gold. Whatever comes out regarding the D'Arcy saga, one thing remains - that he had friends who were close enough and cared, to have immediately raised an alert that he was not to be found, and they did something about it.

For those of us who come to the DR without family, or friends already living here, that is invaluable. Most of us have many "acquaintances", whom we may share a beer with, or see in a restaurant on a regular basis, or even get together occasionally.

If you aren't involved in a business with daily face-to-face contact, how many friends do you have who would immediately notice that they haven't seen you for a day or two, and do something about it?

D'Arcy had such a friend with Rocky. I lost my only true friend in the DR in 2009.

Best wishes to all for a happy and safe New Year, and here's to making more "true friends" for all.

Reactions: whirleybird

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
I remember in my first visit to Sosua last year, when I didn't knew anybody and didn't know about Rocky restaurant .
And suddenly was my visa card cancelled because my bank believed some had tried to fraud me and my master card had reach it weekly limits since I had payee for 5 weeks rent, So then had I 200 peso to live for in 6 days.
My landlord followed my to a Dominican loan shark, where I borrow 3000 peso with 20 % interest . Had to give him my passport and he promised to put in his safe, but when I come back 6 days later and payed 3600 peso, took he my passport out from a drawer in his desk and this office was often empty and seldom looked, so it could be very easy for others to steal my passport.

later in this visit and in my next visit meet I nice people at Rocky and some of the other Norwegian that often stayed for long time in Sosua. I would trusted them much more with my passport for a loan than a Dominican loan shark. And what could happen if there had been more problems with my credit cards and I couldn't payee the loan shark in time . It would be much easier to let my family put money on a another Norwegians visa account and then get the money from him.

You never know what could happen to you , when you are alone in another country, I am sure my fellow countrymen would try to help me, if something should happen to me, maybe a serious illness , accident, or an assault robbery. Am I sure they could informed my closet family..

Even that I don't have any close friends in DR, will it always be other foreigners in places as Rocky that have information and can give good advices or even maybe help you if got serious problems .

Mar 2, 2008
To some, friends are just a disposable commodity. It is amazing to me how quickly some people discard former friends, and over the most inconsequential things.

Perhaps it is because any transgression between friends is a big deal, but, on the other hand, friends might well deserve a benefit of a doubt before being discarded.

I agree with el forastero and Chrismic. Friends are an extremely valuable resource, and they are not always renewable. They should be nurtured and protected, and true friends reciprocate.

At the end of the day (figuratively and literally) our friends are worth much more than their weight in gold. Along with our families, they are truly the only things that matter.

If anyone believes that money and power matter more, I hope they are comforted by many bars of gold on their death-bed.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Catcherintherye, what do you think about this Dominican slang? Amigo es el raton del queso y se lo come!

JJ

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
True friends in the DR are gold. Whatever comes out regarding the D'Arcy saga, one thing remains - that he had friends who were close enough and cared, to have immediately raised an alert that he was not to be found, and they did something about it.

For those of us who come to the DR without family, or friends already living here, that is invaluable. Most of us have many "acquaintances", whom we may share a beer with, or see in a restaurant on a regular basis, or even get together occasionally.

If you aren't involved in a business with daily face-to-face contact, how many friends do you have who would immediately notice that they haven't seen you for a day or two, and do something about it?

D'Arcy had such a friend with Rocky. I lost my only true friend in the DR in 2009.

Best wishes to all for a happy and safe New Year, and here's to making more "true friends" for all.

I hope all your "true friends" in the DR pile out of the woodwork to rescue you as they have done for D'Arcy.
If they do, then you will be rescued before you disappear!
Brilliant!!
Regards
Reidy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm going to close this D'Arcy related thread for now.

I'm waiting on some official information, but being as it's a holiday tomorrow (Monday) in the DR it might get delayed. So expect an update either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Let's not start any new threads, unless someone has anything earth shattering to add :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.